Accidental NGD: Squier Rolling Rock Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by LoudTele, Jul 16, 2011.

1. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

So, I drop into my local music store for a couple of parts, and something green caught my eye.<p>

[​IMG]<p>

[​IMG]<p>

I got a good deal on it, so I couldn't pass it up. From what I was able to find searching old threads, they were promotional items produced in 2002 for Rolling Rock, and provided to bars and radio stations. It's a standard Squier "Crafted in Indonesia" Tele, with a Squier 20th Anniversary neckplate that reads "Freedom of Expression since 1982." The metallic green finish is well done and in pretty good shape, as is the silk screened Rolling Rock graphic.

It plays well, but I will probably refinish the body, and maybe sell off the neck, neckplate, and a few other parts - and use what's left as the basis for my next project.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Keep it as is? Refinish it? Part out everything but the body?

2. lostpick

lostpick Tele-Afflicted

I would make minor mods to improve its tone and playability...

I think its pretty cool as is...

3. androo

androo Tele-Holic

I'd keep it like that! After all those mods you said, why get the cool Rolling Rock guitar in the first place?

Keep it!

4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Refin the body, and it's just another Indonesian Squier. With a refin. I say leave the body as is. Either flip it and put the money towards your next guitar, or keep the body as is. It's the only thing that distinguishes that guitar from thousands of others.

5. themovierad

themovierad TDPRI Member

Cool novelty guitar... It will look cool on the wall of any "man cave." I have a hard time wondering why people buy cheap guitars and then drop a few hundred bucks (not to mention time) into making them better. I can understand restoring an old classic but buying a squier and "pimping it out" to me is like seeing a low rider Geo Metro with rims... Just my 2 cents...

6. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

I'd leave it as it is.Looks pretty nice.

7. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

I bet it plays and sounds nice :)
    Thats good enough!

8. 'Scratch

'Scratch TDPRI Member

From the glass lined tanks of old Latrobe.....33

9. triviani

triviani Tele-Meister

What is Rolling Rock?

I would keep it the way it is, quite original by its own. As said, I don't think it deserves to be Yet Another Butterscotch..

If Rolling Rock is a beer brand you should definitively keep it that way.

10. davenumber2

davenumber2 Friend of Leo's

It is. And quite tasty I might add. They used to be a small craft brewery out of Latrobe, PA but have since been bought by Anheuser-Busch (InBev).

11. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

+1

12. goat813

goat813 Tele-Meister

Just depends on what you paid for it. If it was cheap enough to turn it around and make a quick buck to buy a better tele or another project I'd do that. You also don't want to have one of those "the one that I let go" stories either.......Eh just keep it and buy more. Everyone wins!

13. mickmac

mickmac Tele-Holic

CHEESEY!!!

14. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

...at which point it ceased being so tasty. I heard that the employees in Latrobe (dropped like a hot potato, just like the old brewery) were working to put the old facility back in operation, but I don't know what came of it.

I may have grown up in A-B territory, but I was born in Latrobe, and that's where Rolling Rock should be made!

15. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

Wow - Consensus seems to be to keep it as is. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I paid $125 for it, so my first inclination was to make it a project guitar, as I was pretty sure I could recoup my investment selling the neck and maybe a couple of other parts from it. I just got a good deal on a set of Hagstrom humbuckers, so I was thinking a la Cabronita inspired project, with maybe a light relic job to match the light wear on the neck.

Now I will have to give it some thought.

16. LoudTele

LoudTele Tele-Meister

I agree completely with the sentiments about Rolling Rock. I used to drink it a lot when I lived in Pennsylvania. It's no microbrew, but it was a good everyday lager, perfect for a break when mowing the lawn; I especially liked the 8 oz. bottles, which found their way into many a late night showing of "The Wall" or "The Song Remains the Same" stuffed in my coat pockets.

It does taste different now - and not nearly as good. Fortunately, it's been replaced in my fridge by the reborn Schlitz.

17. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I say nail it to your wall in your rec room!

18. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

I say nail it to your wall in your rec room! :lol:

19. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

I think it'd look cool with a black pickguard, but other than that leave it as is and play it every time you get a bar gig, lol

20. sonicland

sonicland Tele-Meister

In Pennsylvania you buy a case of beer from the case store where they pretty much only sell cases of beer. I remember when our local case store had one of these that they were giving away. They had a huge display of Rolling Rock cases piled high with the guitar sitting out on a stand for all to see. One just had to fill out the entry form and drop it in the box. Being the biggest Tele freak in my small town, I spent the next month assuring anyone that would listen that it would obviously be won by me. Alas, didn't happen. I seem to remember that this store gave away another guitar years later, an acoustic of much higher value but don't remember the details cause I never win anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.