1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

(Accidental) mistery wiring: bridge sounding like neck

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Djangers, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Djangers

Djangers TDPRI Member

Hello. Some 10 years ago I put a DiMarzio humbucker on the bridge position of my 335, which by accident sounded precisely like a neck pickup. Even my friends were puzzled, it really seemed the neck pos, also by tapping with the screwdriver you could tell for sure only the bridge was ON!
    Putting that aside as an accidental joke, I disconnected it, checked the correct color combination online, and rewired it correctly (well, so I think).
    Now, 10 years down the hill, I can't figure out for the life of me how to replicate that mistake on my T-Esquire project...
    Can anyone imagine what kind of strange wiring I nailed on that humbucker?
    Thank you!

2. Boreas

Boreas Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is why I always take pix before I start re-wiring now...

Djangers and rangercaster like this.
  3. Djangers

Djangers TDPRI Member

So really no one has any idea? I can't think of anything other than out of phase, parallel, split... If there is any other possible combination you know for those 4 wires, please post it.

4. Boreas

You were the only one there when you did it! The only thing you can try is to rewire it and try to reproduce it. Could have even been a bad solder joint.

Have you considered installing an actual neck position HB in the bridge? It may be close enough.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  5. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk TDPRI Member

No, that's not how it works.
    There are just pickups, not neck or bridge pickups.
    They sound how they sound because of which part of the string they're listening to.
    "Neck" pickups in sets are usually lower wind relative to the "bridge" to try and make them less muddy. When placed in the bridge position, they're usually significantly brighter than the intended "bridge" pickup.
    If I had to guess what caused the OPs issue, I'd say either poor soldering or the capacitor shorting to ground, taking the tone pot out of circuit.

Djangers and Commodore 64 like this.
  6. Boreas

""Neck" pickups in sets are usually lower wind relative to the "bridge" to try and make them less muddy. When placed in the bridge position, they're usually significantly brighter than the intended "bridge" pickup."

I would say you just contradicted yourself. The wind differences create "neck" and "bridge" pickups specified for those positions. And you are right. where they are placed also makes a significant difference. But most pickup sets specify each pickup's position (neck/middle/bridge) based on how they are wound.

7. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk TDPRI Member

I didn't, hence the quote marks around neck and bridge, but I agree with the rest. The point, the post previous to mine suggested trying a neck pickup at the bridge to recreate the muddy effect. It wouldn't do that.
    Positional pickup, where guitars use one pickup type, didn't become a thing until around the 70s.
    You measure the pickups in a 50s/60s Strat, Gibson, Gretsch etc and you're just as likely to find the bridge pickup has a lower wind than the others or they're all the same, as you are to find the bridge is the hot one. They just pulled the required number of pickups out of a bucket and soldered em whete they landed.

8. Boreas

Well, this isn't the 50s. Many, if not most, pickups today are marketed and sold as bridge and neck pickups, as they are wound differently for a different response. They are indeed different. If you buy a set of pickups, they are typically going to be marked for their position. Indeed, it became a thing in the 70s, and it is still a thing.

9. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

Wound differently to accommodate where they are in relation to other pickups. They are really only "neck" and "bridge" in relation to each other. Marketing aside I use "neck" and "bridge" pickups in either position depending on the outcome I want. They aren't VOICED a certain way per se, their winding gives them a voice in combination with the position they are installed in.

Lets reverse your argument to show you the flaw. You state a neck pickup will sound like a neck pickup in a bridge position. Now, go to any forum and ask if a hotter bridge pickup will sound like a hotter bridge pickup if installed in the neck position. The answer is no. It will be even darker than a standard neck pickup wind, the opposite result, not brighter like a bridge would normally be despite the packaging referring to it as a bridge pickup.

The voicing is relative to expectation, not anything in isolation.

somebodyelseuk and radiocaster like this.
  10. Boreas

OK - I give up. All pickups are the same, and different. Twisted semantics.

Did you have any advice for the OP? I at least offered a suggestion.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Djangers likes this.
  11. Blues Twanger

Blues Twanger Tele-Meister

My guess is a bad solder joint as someone else has supposed and wiring a specific way had nothing to do with it.

Longshot would be that somehow he ended up with the two coils in parallel and out of phase with each other. If it were a hot or unbalanced coil design, and Dimarzio does both, it could end up hollow but not honky. It would be a crapshoot as to what it would sound like depending on the amount of phase cancellation.

Semantics is the definition of marketing.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    radiocaster, Djangers and Boreas like this.
  12. Boreas

Agreed. I mentioned bad solder joint in the sentence before I mentioned the pickups. That is usually the first thing I check after re-inspecting the wiring because cold joints can do some weird things with poor or intermittent contact. I was just spitballing with the pickup suggestion. Anybody's guess.

13. Djangers

Djangers TDPRI Member

Thank You guys for arguing so much about it! As for hot pickups I don't think it was the case: they are 8-ish K pickups, and out-of-phase doesn't sound at all like that, especially in the bridge pos. BUT the poor soldering... why not? :p
    The possibility that a cap can make a certain pickup sound that way is quite interesting, even if I have a hard time picturing how to wire the cap in the tone pot that way.
    But I could actually experiment with some kind of Varitone wiring to see if I can cut the right amount from the transient and from the high-mids.
    Thank You SO much!

Boreas and somebodyelseuk like this.
  14. Boreas

Good luck on your journey - and most importantly - pass on what you learn and post a few pix!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.