Acceptable Intonation tolerance

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by SPECTRUM001, Sep 18, 2019.

1. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Ive always managed to dial in good intonation on my 3 barrel saddles. The compensated Wilkinson ones work well. I haven't got too carried away with it but on a problematic saddle you could probably sort things out if you are handy with a Dremel. One day I will see if I can nail intonation reading on the tuner using a Dremel to mod the saddles.

2. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

It’s just a flawed and bad design. Only snobbishness maintains it.

It does not deserve the debate imho.

Get a set of fender tilt compensated barrels. It will tune much better and no one will know looking at it.

3. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Thanks for all response.

I certainly think I should try to drag back a little to help flatten the low E and A. The margins are slight/close - and it sounds like this is something to be expected (to an extent).

4. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I have used the Jerry Donahue method for three saddle bridges, which you can google.
    Another thing to try is: If you have a saddle where you can't get them both intonated at the 12th, set it so one string is right on, and the other one slightly flat. This is because you can squeeze or bend a note from slightly flat to in tune by ear, if it's a "featured" note, but you can't "un sharp" a note you are stuck with it.
    You could also try tuning to fretted notes, in the area/chords/notes you play the most. The Jerry Donahue method does this for the G string.
    It is definitely something to be expected as you say, and your ears and preferences will influence how you deal with it.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  5. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

One thing to be aware of on adjusting the saddles away from the neck is sometimes the tension
    spring is too long, will completely collapse and the saddle will no longer move.
    The screw will often still turn but with no result other than possibly damaging the thread.
    The spring then has to be removed and shortened.

6. SPECTRUM001

SPECTRUM001 TDPRI Member

Just wanted to thankyou for the help on this. I am still taking small steps in my guitar maintenance skillset - but I did spend some delicate time with the saddles and screwdriver, and have the intonation much better now. It isn't digitally perfect, however certainly in a ball park that is ok to me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.