1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AC30/6 About to Begin

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by mjcyates, Dec 1, 2020.

1. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

So I have been commissioned by one of my previous customers to build an AC30/6. I have never built a Vox circuit and this looks like its going to be quite a challenge. He has sourced the chassis and tagboards and has an original cabinet. Going to be interesting. If any of you guys have tackled one of these before any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

ThermionicScott and borducks like this.
  2. Lowerleftcoast

Lowerleftcoast Friend of Leo's

Subscribed.

So you still need to find the transformers?

3. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Yes I do, any thoughts or ideas? I haven't even made it that far yet.

4. Lowerleftcoast

The AC30 1960 schematic shows a 280-0-280 160mA PT.
    Hammond suggests the 290NX. 290-0-290 262mA.

I think that would be a little too much voltage. It starts 10 volts high and the 262mA rating would not let the voltage drop much.

The Hammond 290MX looks better. 275-0-275 230mA. I am not sure if the chassis is designed for a lay down PT though.

5. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

7. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Triode has ClassicTone Power,Output and Choke still listed, but I don't know if they are actually in stock.

Tube Depot has the ClassicTone Choke and Output, but the Power is sold out.

Mercury Magnetics is always an option, but its hard to know specs on them. They should be a drop-in fit.

Mojotone sells the power and output transformers, but I can't verify that the power transformer has the right dimensions.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Unless something has changed in the past few years, Mercury transformers for Vox have primaries for 115V AC, and voltages will run high with the ~125V AC we get these days.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  9. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

That seems to be what I remember, too. Of course, if MM is what is desired a voltage reducing box could also be match the voltage to the output transformer.

This is the sad thing about ClassicTone going out of business - They seems to make very good modern equivalents of vintage transformers. Or, in other words, You could get vintage Power Supply voltages using modern AC mains voltages.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mercury has a number of options. One has HT at 270-0-270.

11. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

That was the issue with a couple alternatives from Hammond that I almost suggested. Seriously, who still gets 115V from a wall anymore? :rolleyes:

12. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Luckily Hammond seems to have wised up and added 120V primaries to many of their transformers - especially those for guitar amps.

Now, If only they would make chassis for common amplifiers, they could be an even larger asset to the DIY community.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  13. Dennis Perusse

Dennis Perusse Tele-Meister

If you're going to do it old school then get the book "A Service Engineer's Guide to the Vox AC-30 Valve Amplifier" by Stephen Grosvenor. His book is an eye opener on what you'll be doing should you go that route. :)

14. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

15. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

16. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Thanks for the link. I came across that before and that is the layout that I am going by. I also found a legible schematic that I am using to cross check the layout. I am actually creating my own version in DIYLC. I like to build amps virtually before I do the physical build. I find that I get most of my questions and issues resolved prior to diving in. The same person providing the chassis is also providing the tag boards, tag strips, terminal block, and hardware. His name is Stuart Castledine of Castledine Electronics. Regarding the faceplate I think the person I am building this for has one but not sure about that yet. I was wondering about the voltage selector, I haven't tried to find one yet.

17. Lowerleftcoast

Take this for what it is worth. I am not familiar with the original Vox transformers.

From the above layouts, I see no Center Tap for the HT. Also an artificial HT CT is not indicated. I assume the HT CT may be grounded with the chassis of the PT.
    The schematic shows the HT CT ground and the PT chassis ground separately. It is hard to judge the actual physical layout from a schematic.

Should you use a vintage PT, I thought you should be aware as some older PT's did have the HT CT connected to PT chassis ground.

So... Don't be alarmed if the HT has continuity or low resistance with the PT chassis if a separate HT CT wire is not present.

When I use the term *PT chassis ground*, I do not mean the amplifier chassis.

Wally likes this.
  18. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

Duly noted. Thanks for the info!

19. mjcyates

mjcyates Tele-Meister

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.