AC15c1 vs Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Seasicksailor, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Sconnie

Sconnie Friend of Leo's

Get a Victory V40, those things are incredibly dope!!!

Jakedog and Seasicksailor like this.
  2. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

AC15 is what it is, a great-sounding amp but you can run out of gas. I've been gigging a Bad Cat Cub 15, essentially an AC15 with big iron, and it sounds fantastic right up to the point where it doesn't anymore, outdoor gigs and big rooms. If you like the Vox sound, an AC30 is probably the way to go. Try to find separate head and cab, as that makes the weight easier to deal with. If you're kicking around the music stores, I would definitely try out the Rocker 32 and the Marshall Origin 50 combo. Either of these would be a step up in volume but a somewhat different sound character. The Orange TH-30 is worth a try, too, nice and bright, pretty Voxy. Good luck!

Timbresmith1 and Seasicksailor like this.
  3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

This is a great suggestion. Orange amps are killer.

41144 and Seasicksailor like this.
  4. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I have both. I started with the Vox and gigged that for a few years and loved it. Then my band mate briefly brought a DR to practice one day and I couldn't get that sound out of my head. I bought it from him a few weeks later. I primarily use the DR now. I don't know that it necessarily has much more clean headroom than the Vox, but I can hear it better at roughly the same volume than the Vox. It doesn't compress a much when I hit it hard either, which I think also helps me hear it in the mix better. I still like the Vox, and don't see myself getting rid of it, but the DR is my main gigging amp now.

nojazzhere and Seasicksailor like this.
  5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Hah! Yes, I'd forgotten I had been tempted by the Origin 50 before.

I checked out the Rocker 32 online. What a clever amp! I'm not sure I'm fond of the clean sound. I guess I'm too used to the Vox and Fender sounds.

6. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Your Broadcast won't sound as good with the Deluxe Reverb as it sounds with the AC15. It needs an amp with some "sag".
    Just leave the MV maxed and the volume wathever you feel like it's enough.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  7. Seasicksailor

Thanks! Why would that be? The EQ profile I imagine?

8. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

I applaud folks who totally understand the Vox AC15. It is a great amp, and to some the learning curve of it
    may take awhile. My quick fix is to add an eight inch Vox external speaker to the AC15 and that alone may
    get you over the hump.

Timbresmith1 and Seasicksailor like this.
  9. Seasicksailor

So true! Considering the not extravagant number of knobs, their interactivity really complicates things... and different things happen at different volumes too. Part of the fun. :)

Timbresmith1 likes this.
  10. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Afflicted

I have both the Vox AC15 C1 and the Fender Deluxe Reverb reissue. I love both of those amps, but they are different animals in my opinion and I choose them for different applications. When I first got the Vox, I didn't think it had enough headroom for me. In my opinion FWIW, the Celestion Greenback 25 is a mismatch for that amp. I quickly replaced that speaker with a Weber Bluedog (50 watt). That gave me the headroom that I needed. As others have indicated, those VOX amps are a lot louder than their power spec would have you believe. I replaced all the tubes on both amps with JJ's and I am happy with were they are at now.

Over the years, I have come to realize that the speaker is an essential component to the amp. I played around with my Twin Reverb a few time to get the speaker sound I wanted. Manufacturers just go with power specs and don't really test their products with a variety of speakers to see which one works best. A lot more attention to that would help out many players in my opinion.

The VOX AC15 is an excellent companion to a Telecaster as is the Deluxe Reverb. You can't go wrong with either.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  11. Seasicksailor

Case in point... see 'tone hack' no2 at the 3:00min mark for an insane fact.

Cranking the volume of the unused channel, affects the bass response of the used channel. What madness is this? :confused:

12. etype

etype Tele-Afflicted

A friend who is a gigging musician loves his AC15. But when he needed something louder, he went to look at the AC30. On a lark he tried the HRD and ended up taking it home. Knowing how picky he is, I'll suggest trying one out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    jfgesquire and Seasicksailor like this.
  13. Seasicksailor

Actually, I just remembered... some years back, I got an ABY switch. I used it for a while but then abandoned it as I didn't find it too useful and there was an annoying number of cables involved. BUT, if I remember correctly, there was a distinct volume boost when using both channels. I might try that first. If it's not enough, I may have to look into a more efficient speaker as suggested by many. By the way, I already have JJ tubes in it (the high headroom set).

14. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Like I said, I feel like the Broadcast needs an amp that has some natural compression. The Deluxe Reverb is a very "direct" amp. It only starts to compress above 5 and that's really loud!
    I had an AC15 when I thought I was a Vox guy, sold it to get a 65Amps London Pro and later discovered that the DRRi I had at home was the sound I had in my head and gigged that for years.
    Now that I'm not gigging with amps, I sold the DRRi (too loud for my needs) and I'm using a 5E3 and a Epiphone Pathfinder (Gibson Falcon circuit) and the Broadcast is my favorite overdrive for those amps because they compress and make the Broadcast, that can be a very bright and raspy sounding overdrive, sound soft and sweet.
    When I first got the Broadcast I was using the DRRi at times and never cared much for them together so I had it for sale for a brief period! Luckily I kept the pedal and sold the amp.

15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A Deluxe Reverb SHOULD do the trick for most any indoor gig, unless it's a really loud band. I've used one in 4 and 5 piece bands for decades. I like to put in upgrade speakers though.

bendercaster and Seasicksailor like this.
  16. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I cannot fathom an AC15 not being loud enough for rehearsal.

bendercaster likes this.
  17. Seasicksailor

It was more the case of not clean enough when loud... or not loud enough when clean (with guitar vol). :)

jfgesquire likes this.
  18. Chart72

Chart72 TDPRI Member

Did you try the normal channel? It’s definitely got more headroom than the top boost on my AC15.

19. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The Rocker 32 is loud AF for 30 watts because it's got the 101dB Orange Voice of the World Gold speakers. (Which are supposedly some type of Celestion?)

Hence the recommendation to just try dropping a similar speaker into the Vox.

Those speakers are indeed insanely loud for the watt. My Rocker 15 always shocks me how loud it can be.

I can kind of agree with the idea that the Natural Channel on those amps might be a compatible sound to a Vox I guess.

41144 and Seasicksailor like this.
  20. Seasicksailor

Yep! That's where I live.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.