AC15c1 vs Deluxe Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Seasicksailor, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Ok... I suspect this will be long... here goes:

I have the Vox AC15c1. I've had it for around 15 years, and it's always been enough. But I just had the first rehearsal with my bad after more than a year and certain things have changed:
    1. We have a new drummer who is not as 'subtle' as the last one (but thankfully he's a much nicer guy)
    2. The other guitarist replaced his Vox AC15c1 with a Victory V40.

Now, it's not like I am completely lost in the mix or anything like that, but I did feel I had 'nowhere to go' a lot of the time. I ended up maxing the MV while trying to keep the channel volume as low as possible. I never had to max the MV before.

Weirdly, I like to use the Hudson Broadcast as an always on pedal with the gain cranked. That's because I NEED to use the guitar volume as a gain knob, and the Broadcast is excellent at going from full on fuzz to beautifully clean with just a nudge of the guitar volume (clean, funky rhythm to great lead tone within songs).

So... I suspect that I need marginally more headroom. I know some headroom can be coaxed with speaker swaps etc, but I suspect it won't be enough.

My question is, will a Deluxe Reverb do the trick? I know that a Twin or an AC30 is probably a safer bet, but the weight puts me off. Suggestions?

THANKS!! :)

EDIT: I don't care about bedroom level performance. I have a different setup for that.

nojazzhere and telekaster1999 like this.
  2. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

If you were happy with your sound before, just ask them to turn down a bit.

JL_LI, Marc Morfei, mojek and 7 others like this.
  3. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Friend of Leo's

My son’s band (all 19 and 20 year olds) rehearsed at my house a few days ago. My son is the drummer. Normally they use their own gear, but I let them use my Vox and my Hot Rod Deluxe IV this time.

The Vox user was having the same problem you were having. I had him throw my old DS-1 in front of it, told my son to cut it out on the drums, and then it sounded awesome.

What did not need any tweaking was the HRD. The young man played a 60s classic series Strat through it and it was perfect. I paid $599 for it used.

If you already have the Vox and even with the pedal it’s still not enough, then don’t be afraid of the HRD IV. The new ones are a little lighter, one 12” and 40W make for a good platform.

Bowpickins, middy and Seasicksailor like this.
  4. Seasicksailor

Good point @telekaster1999 . However, the volume really wasn't extreme. It wasn't like I need earplugs. And it felt like a sweet spot. It's just that my clean options felt very limited.

Thanks @jfgesquire I'll check out the HRD. I've heard very good things about them.

telekaster1999 likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The Fender Black Face Deluxe Reverb is the single greatest amp EVER.......
    That said, I also like the AC 15. My personal solution would be to get a Joyo American Sound pedal, and use it mostly "always on". I feel, while it will make you "louder", it also has a beautiful tone that "pushes through" the mix without blowing everyone's eardrums. ;)

6. Seasicksailor

In a similar vein, perhaps I need to play around with the settings on the Broadcast a bit more. I think boosting the volume from the pedal may just lead to more saturation and perhaps make it harder to get a loud clean tone with the guitar volume, but it's certainly worth a try.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used to play with another guitarst who owned exceptional guitars and amps.....and then added all kinds of effects pedals that "muddied" and obfuscated his playing. I think he resented that I often got more compliments than he did.....NOT because I was a better player, but because the audience could better hear my playing.
    I still recommend the American Sound. It's great to have in your arsenal. ;)

richiek65 and Seasicksailor like this.
  8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

The Deluxe Reverb will give you the same problem. Its 22 watts, where the AC15 is a loud 15 watts. The actual volume output is probably about the same.

I would put wheels on an AC30 and call it a day. Personally, I feel that Vox amps sound far superior to Fender amps, but that is just my taste.

9. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Holic

How low is your channel volume? In my experience, an AC15 is pretty gradual going into overdrive. I might try raising the channel volume if it's really low and sacrificing my clean for a little hair. There's going to be some spot where the distortion will not be audible as such but will instead excite the signal and contribute to a feeling of being louder.

Failing that, you could try a more efficient speaker. A Blue or clone could probably get you a few extra decibels over a Greenback (if you got the standard amp) and is a good match for a Vox.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

I’d second the idea of seeing how efficient your speaker is and maybe looking for one that’s more efficient.

These speakers that are pushing 100-101dB sensitivity can seem a lot louder and make it seem like the amp has more clean headroom. Sometimes they’re lighter too.

11. tfarny

tfarny Poster Extraordinaire

You've probably already learned that you need to angle the amp upwards towards your ears, if not, do that. A more efficient speaker is probably a better option than a new and different amp with a very different kind of sound. A final option is to consider an AC30! I have the AC30s1, it's a single speaker, top boost-only amp with digital verb and no trem. It sure does get the job done. It has a Celestion 70/80 speaker which seems fine to me. It weighs only a little more than an AC15.

Seasicksailor likes this.
  12. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Friend of Leo's

A used Blues Deluxe will solve the problem if you decide pedal changes aren't cutting it. Loud. Oh so loud. Clean as a Twin IME.

Drive channel really doesn't drive on those. That's why Fender made the HRD with tweaks for some drive. But it will kick out the sound and you won't have problems keeping up. Needs a pedal for dirt.

Oh, and 40 lbs. Not too heavy. But not light.

Bowpickins and Seasicksailor like this.
  13. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Mmm .... using an AC15 with a cranked Broadcast ... "no where to go" .... taking that to mean you want more headroom?

Vox to Fender ... really is apples and Oranges imo whereas you could just switch the variety of apple?

ie The Orange Rocker 32 ... virtually the same weight as the AC15. The Rocker 32 will have your drummer demanding to be mic'd - which may or may not help of course!

If you do consider this, don't take all the internet babble about Orange being for style X of music only/really dark/really gainey etc ... go and try one yourself first!

Clean (Natural) channel just keeps getting louder until you can bear it no more and the Gain (Dirty) channel can be as nuanced as any amp or as heavy/dirty as the best of them.

14. stomped box

stomped box Tele-Meister

Not super consequential point here but if your amp is 15 years old, it would have to be a Custom Classic, wouldn't it? There's a "September 2009" sticker on one of the transformers in my AC15cc, believe the Customs came out late '09 or early '10.

Anyway, I was running it into a 2x12 cab for a while, V212x, and liked it so much I got the AC30HWH to match, run at 15w, and love it. It's plenty loud, but there's a couple more EL84s there if I need em.

Tim S and Seasicksailor like this.
  15. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I've ever turned up my AC15C1 past halfway. I'd start with explaining the situation to the other guys and ask them to turn down a bit.

Another possibility is an extension cabinet. I picked up a 12" Celestion V-Type a few years ago and popped it into an old cabinet. It melds wonderfully with the stock Greenback in my AC15 and should move some more air.

stnmtthw and Seasicksailor like this.
  16. Seasicksailor

Great suggestions everyone! Thanks so much. Indeed, my Vox has the Celestion. I tried my mate's which has the blue, and to be honest I didn't hear that much of a difference, at least in terms of volume/headroom. But it was a very quick and dirty comparison.

@41144 I never considered Orange (not out of prejudice... it was good enough for Peter Green after all ;) ), good shout. Indeed, I guess the issue is headroom with flexibility in mind (in terms of using the guitar volume as gain control).

41144 likes this.
  17. Seasicksailor

Hahah! Good catch! No, it's certainly a c1. Just a memory lapse there about how long ago I got it. It must have been 2010.

stomped box likes this.
  18. Lou Tencodpees

Lou Tencodpees Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Not sure of the type of music y'all play and in what kind of rehearsal space, but my inclination is to suspect you're playing pretty loud. I'm not familiar with the AC15 other than noting it sounded glorious and loud when I heard a guy playing one at a local shop one time. I had no issues keeping up in a rehearsal situation with a Princeton Reverb and also a Pro Jr. Classic Rock type stuff. But all of those situations were with drummers that had pretty good dynamics. I can't imagine needing more than a Deluxe Reverb in any situation, rehearsal or otherwise. But I remember the days of loud, fun. These days my tinnitus is louder than cicadas.

19. Seasicksailor

Oh it's a loud amp. And as someone else noted earlier, I could probably push it further with the channel volume. It's the loud cleans that I'm after.

Dismalhead and Lou Tencodpees like this.
  20. misterdontmove

misterdontmove Tele-Meister

I also use an "always on" pedal to drive my ac15cc1. Mine is either a modded Boss OD3 or a SD1 depending on the guitar. A slight, low gain boost on the front end increases the volume and clarity of the amp and might help you keep up.

nojazzhere and Seasicksailor like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.