AC15C1: How do you run it?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by GLee94, Feb 25, 2020.

1. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

I've had my trusty giggin' amp for ~5-6 years now. Up until recently I was stuck in my ways. I always tweak knobs slightly every time I turn it on, but I have a starting point that I stick tend to stick to. With most guitars I find the Top Boost channel is great with the EQ knobs set somewhat like a V (bass rolled off w/ treble bump) and the channel volume 3/4 up. I then adjust the master to suit the setting and the tone cut to trim off the talons, or sharpen them depending on the guitar.
    Recently, I've seen some folk swear that diming the master and adjusting the channel volume for desired volume/tone is the way to go. Needless to say I'm gonna give it a go tonight at rehearsal. But, I was interested in everyone's take. Would operating the amp in this manner make the amp act as if it has no MV? Like some fender amps? Basically putting the channel volume in control of overall volume + dirt?
    Gonna give it a whirl! What do ya'll think about your AC15s or how to achieve your desired tone?
    Thanks!

Chuckster likes this.
  2. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The diming the master thing is great if your right hand technique is perfect or if you're into horrible spiky transients. I need a little more compression, meself.

3. ShortintheSleeve

ShortintheSleeve TDPRI Member

I've heard of people who run their AC15 that way, but I've never tried it. I don't even use the top boost. With my Telecaster, I much prefer the normal channel set about 1:00, the tone cut around 2:00, the master to suit the room, and the tone nob on the guitar dialed back a bit on the bridge pickup.

4. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

Basically I adjust the gain stage with the channel volume, usually "high" gain on tap and I can lower it with the guitar volume, and the master volume depending of the gig... but! If you have the opportunity to crank the MV with the channel volume around 3:00 - 4:00 that is the most perfect guitar tone I have ever had, of course that was loud!

5. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

I run mine very similar! I would love to have that opportunity! I get flak when I run the master past noon at practice...maybe in another venture haha

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  6. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Master full, treble cut off, normal channel, volume at 50% give or take.

Turn down on the guitar, adjust for needed volume.

(I removed the treble caps to get rid of the shrillness).

GLee94 likes this.
  7. GLee94

GLee94 Tele-Meister

Have you noticed quicker wear on the power tubes running this way? I start doing this for a couple weeks and my power tubes went out. I had the master dimed on the normal channel with the channel at about noon-1 oclock. Could be a coincidence because the tubes were older but just wondered if the master at 10/10 wears the tubes faster?

8. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

No, I haven't had any real issues, it's been a very reliable amp for me despite many miles on mountain roads and being run hard on stage.
    I have JJ tubes, I think they're pretty tough.

GLee94 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.