1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AC15 extension cab

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by AJBaker, Jun 25, 2015.

1. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've been gigging my AC15c1 (greenback) for about half a year now, and I'm very much impressed. It's just the right kind of amp for someone like me who doesn't have many pedals and steers the amp with the guitar controls. The volume is also just about right; it's just a bit too loud full bore for the band rock concerts I do, but I still get to play well within the sweet spot. Playing a duo at a wedding, it was loud and clean enough to be heard, with just a touch of grit (lovely).

I did find it necessary to remove the bright caps though; to me they added an almost unnatural shrillness to the sound, and the amp sounds far more natural now than before. Someday, I might try bright caps with a smaller value, but that's a discussion for another day.

For gigs where I'd want a slightly louder and cleaner sound, I was thinking of getting a Fender at some point. But honestly, the Vox normal channel played delicately with a tele, with reverb and tremelo has such a nice, natural sound, that I don't feel the need for a new amp. I'm hoping that a 1x12" extension cab will add that little bit of fullness and clean volume I might sometimes need.

For the empty cab, I think I'll get one of these:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/palmer_112_cabinet_unloaded.htm
    Well made, and about the right size to sit under the Vox.
    But what to put into it?

A cheaper option would be to get another greenback, and play with two of them.
    The more expensive option would be to spring for a blue. This would add even more volume, and get me some of that expensive Vox mojo. Then I'd also have to decide if I want the blue in the combo or the cab.

An even MORE expensive option would be to get two blues, one for the combo, one for the cab. This would be very loud I'm sure, but a bit beyond my budget.

Also, how do you calculate the combined sensitivity of two speakers?
    I know that one greenback is 98dB, and one blue 100dB, but what about two together?
    What's louder: one blue getting all 15 watts, or two greenbacks, or a greenback and a blue?

Cheers

2. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm a big time Blue fan myself. I run a Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog in my AC15C1 and love it. It was very bright and sharp/shrill when new, but I compensated wit warmer toned Genalex Gold Lion EL84s. Now that it's broken in I went back to my normal EL84s, as the tone warmed up very nicely.

I also have a homemade 1 X 10" cab that has a Weber AlNiCo Blue Pup, that I built for my Lil' Night Train (the amp that started me on my Vox trek). I love plugging the 1 X 10" cab into the Extension Jack (Impedance st to 8Ω) on the back of the AC15. To me the volume is noticeably louder and tone is much fuller. If I gigged regularly and/or for money, it would be worthwhile to run an extension cab for when the amp is not mic'ed.

The difference in volume between the Greenback and the Blue is only 2 Dbl. The typical noticeable difference is 3 Dbl. So doubtful that you would notice much of a difference in volume.

You could try getting a Blue and run it in the Extension cab. You can also run it through the External cab jack if you want to run just the Blue. Try running both, with the extension jack to get an idea of how it sounds. Allow the Blue to break in before you decide on which sounds best. This will typically take about 40 hours of playing at working volume levels. Though you may like the Blue by the time it breaks in, you'll swap the Greenback out of the amp.

3. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

In my experience, two speakers vs one, all else being roughly equal will not necessarily sound louder, but does give a bigger sound, "filling the room" better. You could get creative with placement, and use the amp for stage volume, and the extension closer to the audience and/or aimed strategically and it might do the trick.
    I'd think the higher sensitivity speaker would be a better bet if you really need to be louder.

4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

yeah, first thing that came to mind was to try a Red Fang -- the 16 ohm version is rated at 103 dB efficiency, which should make an audible difference from the stock Greenback. I've never played one but people seem to like them, and they're advertised as being in the same family as the Blues, tone-wise.

If you like the way the Greenback sounds, though, the best way to get more volume might be to find a secondhand AC30c2. Loud enough for pretty much anything.

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I did think long and hard about getting the ac30, but an ac15 turned up at a good price, and the 30 just seems too heavy...

6. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

I am about to get a blue for my AC15 and put the greenback in an empty cab, and was wondering the same thing. Is it a good combo given the difference in efficiency between these two speakers? How much louder would it be? Would it be better the other way around?

7. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Good question! Let me know your results! Experiment with the 'external' and 'extension' jacks.

8. Zacateca

Zacateca TDPRI Member

I kind of hoped that you had some insights by now. Anyway, I will be doing this and I will report back with my experience.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Sorry! I haven't been able to justify the extra expense yet. So far, it's been loud enough as is. I'd still love to try a blue someday though!

10. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Afflicted

i have an ac15c1... love it... in the last 6 months i picked up a 65amps 212 unloaded cab.... dropped a cel blue and a g12h30 into the cab - 16 ohm... sounds awesome... the cleans are mint... definitely a little louder than the greenback... a noticeable increase in headroom at the same levels but such a nice tone... i m very happy with it and only set it up as i got the unloaded cab for peanuts... no regrets here... goodluck

11. jeremyb

jeremyb Tele-Meister

I switched out the greenback in my AC15 for an Eminence Wizard, sounds awesome, either that or a G12H30 would be my picks to give you a nice contrast with your current speaker :)

12. tce63

tce63 Tele-Afflicted

Sorry old Threads

I use to have a AC15c1.
    I changed it to a VOX AC15CH that i had for 2 weeks now, play it at the moment with a small 1*12 cab with Greenback.
    Why i changed is beacuse the Attenuator, 15w / 1,5w / 0,15w

I also orderd a V212C from a local shop that will arrive on monday.

I will come back with a sound clip when it arrives.

Link to Thomann
    https://www.thomann.de/se/vox_v212c.htm

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  13. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

Please tell us about your experiences with the attenuator!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.