1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AC10c1

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Studio Deluxe, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Studio Deluxe

Studio Deluxe TDPRI Member

Anyone have an opinion on these yet, would like to use one as a bedroom rocker but wonder if the overdrive tones still come out with the Master Volume turned down.

2. lwaun

lwaun Tele-Meister

I posted a NAD on mine when I got it in June. You can get the overdrive tones nicely with Master turned down but this amp does like to get loud.

3. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

Good post. I agree that the AC4 sounds too thin. I sold mine for that reason. I used to have an AC15C1, but sold that as well, during a gear purge.

The AC10C1 could be the perfect replacement.

4. Lancaster

Lancaster TDPRI Member

Just bought one. Great tone but a little tube rattle.

5. TeleBrew

TeleBrew Doctor of Teleocity

Wasn't that an issue with the first generation AC15C1s, as well? How bad is it?

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Tube rattle is a common thing with well-used El-84's....maybe also with new Chinese
    El-84's?????.

7. Bulldog87

Bulldog87 Tele-Afflicted

I am a HUGE Vox guy... I've wanted an AC15 for years... volume kept me away, because most of my playing is inside the house/at friend's houses. these AC10's look amazing though! I really love to see everyone's posts regarding theirs! Thanks for doing what you do people... giving GAS

8. Wally

The volume difference between 10 and 15 watts through the same speaker/s is negligible, ime. To reduce the volume of a 15 watt amp by 50%, the power in watts must be reduced to 1/10 of that 15 watts....1.5 watts, in other words.
    Speaker efficiency cando more to affect output volume than chasing smaller or bigger amps, sometimes.
    I really need to buy one of those variable flux density speakers to check out how well they work...especially inreducing volume and maintaining tonal qualities of the signal.

9. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My tweaked Vox Lil' Night Train tweaked with bigger OT and Power tube (12BH7 instead of 12AU7) paired with my Weber AlNiCo Blue Pup 1 X 10" cab will just hang in a small gig. Surprisingly loud for two watts.

If I were buying a home practice Vox amp now, I would go for the AC4C1-12, with better tubes, output transformer, speaker and the bright cap mod. Yeah it's a lot to do to a new amp, bust after playing around and getting familiar with the current production Voxes and my taste, this would be the way for me to go. That or I would build my own AC4 12" combo.

10. StormJH1

StormJH1 Tele-Holic

As a guy who lusted after AC30 tones, but never had a practical need for an amp as large and loud as the AC30 (or even the AC15, really), I'm definitely interested in the AC10C1. I've played it at Guitar Center a few times now, and loved it immediately. Didn't try to crank it (and it gets pretty loud quickly even with the master turned way down), but I thought it was really full-sounding. My other amp at home is a Fender SCX2, which is 15-watt "hybrid" with a 10" speaker, so my expectations for an amp of that size and price should be pretty well-calibrated.

That being said, there are a few drawbacks. I have no problem with digital reverb, but the reverb in the AC10 behaved a little strangely at times. Probably fine for plugging direct in, but watch what it did when the Anderton's guys demoed it with an overdrive pedal in front. I'll definitely want to check that out before I buy. Worse comes to worst, I do have a solid reverb pedal (Hardwire RV-7), but it's a shame to just write off an entire feature on a $450 amp that, by design, has fairly limited features.

I also wish it had an effects loop. My SCX2 doesn't have one, and neither do many combos of that size nowadays, but it would have been nice value added.

I've read some people on other forums complaining about the Celestion speaker, but Celestions seem to be pretty divisive in general, and I felt that it sounded great with this amp. I've tried AC4's (which have 12" speakers), and the AC10 sounds much larger and fuller to me.

The amp is single-channel, so there is always concern about having enough clean headroom, but the AC10C1 gets louder than you might think. As I said though, I haven't really turned it up.

To summarize, I think it's a great sounding amp that would be a little more attractive had they hit the $400 price point or improved/added just a few features. As it is though, I'd absolutely love to own one if I can shuffle some gear around and save some money later on.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wise words. When you think about it - there are lots of times/venues where my 12-14 watt Gibson Lancer (think Tweed Deluxe and you're not far off) is way too loud. And then if I had the same circuit in the same cab and with the same speaker at 1.5 watts, it would only about half the volume? No wonder even 1.5 watts on a tube amp with a built in attuenuated setting is still way too loud for home.

12. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Okay boys. I'm basically sold on the AC10. As I get it, a tube upgrade is pretty much a given and a Greenback recommended for these. Any fix found for the sometimes maligned and generally regarded as marginal reverb yet?

13. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I just never bonded with a Greenback with Vox amps, they're okay, but that's it to me. The AlNiCo Blue tone has always been the Vox speaker. It'll do the chimey cleans to jangley mids to crunchy rock tones. Weber's AlNiCo Blue Pup ($100+shipping) is about the same price as the G10 Greenback ($115), but you get the AlNiCo charm. Other than the Blue Pup, you would have to go with a Celestion G10 Gold @ $179 for an AlNiCo British type speaker.

BTW, I'm loving My Greenback & Green Beret in my 212 cab with the Plexi SE Cascaded/JCM800 5 watt amp I just built.

14. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Should have said or 'Blue Pup' (or similar) but just meant that a speaker change has also been recommended. Still wondering about the reverb though. Any thoughts?

15. Wally

Studio Deluxe, a MV amp allows one to get preamp overview at any master volume setting...low or high volume. What is missing at lower settings on the MV pot is the output section's overdrive and the reaction between the power tubes, output transformer and speakers when the output section is pushed hard.

Oh....and if you are still with this thread...belated welcome to the forum.

16. Abu Twangy

Abu Twangy Friend of Leo's

Use a reverb or delay pedal. There are some adequate reverb pedals for not much money. I use a Boss Fender '63 Reverb pedal with my Excelsior and Ramparte. I use a cheap Danelectro Fab Echo for slap back or for reverb-sounding delay.

17. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Exactly. I'm thinking this here AC10 may be the perfect mate for my T-Rex Fat Shuga Boost/Reverb pedal.

Played an AC10 yesterday with a Mexi Cabronita Thinline Tele and it was the cat's pajamas. With a student discount from the store, I'd be out 4 Benjamins + sales tax.

Very tempting.

Scott

18. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I'd assumed that that would be what most folks would do. I'll be running it along side my (pretty heavily) modded PRRI so don't really need the reverb. Just thinking that since the reverb feature is included that it ought to be usable.

Thanks guys...appreciate the input...:D

19. Sky King

Sky King Tele-Meister

I bought one about 2 months ago, but it fizzled out and stopped working 29 days into my 30 day trial period so it got returned. I've decided to wait a bit until the bugs are worked out before I get another.

But while I had it... I loved the Vox tone at bedroom volumes. The Master worked great. Does seem a little cheaply built. Very light weight. I've heard it worked pretty well even for outside gigs when plugged into a larger cab.

20. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

Folks have said that it works well miced for small to medium venues as well which is what I had in mind. Maybe I'll just wait for the next version as well...:neutral:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.