AC10 vs Blues Junior w/ Cannabis Rex

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by horax, Sep 5, 2021.

1. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Can't decide between the two.
    Yes I've played them both....I'm wondering about your opinions as to which you prefer and why?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

nojazzhere likes this.
  3. tarheelbob

tarheelbob Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have had both, the Blues Jr. with Cannibis Rex and Bill M. mods, the AC10 with some upgraded tubes.

The AC10, definitely, for me. It is just so dynamic with single coil guitars, and just a fun, powerful little amp. Much of it will depend on what you want. A modified BJr. will probably be better for light gigging, un-mic'ed in a band. But, the AC10 has more character and was just, well, more fun.

Sold the Blues Jr., never looked back, never regretted it.

- Bob

4. bluesintheblood

bluesintheblood Tele-Meister

Had the Blues jr for a few yrs, put a C Rex in it as well, no other mods...tamed the 'shrill'...then got a PRRI with the C Rex, side by side the Princeton was more open, dimensional...the B jr is a great workhorse amp...

then I got into tweed kits over 'lock down'...rabbit hole, and an 'Ah-HA' moment...found a handwired tweed 'vibrolux' from a local hobbyist (for a mere 300 beans), he encouraged the kits...built a champ running 8", 10" and 12" cabs

can't go back to brand name retail amps now. Still have the PRRI tho, so far

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

never played an AC10 but I would much rather have an AC15 than a Blues Junior. Jr has its uses -- it's pretty light and pretty loud, and there are some usable tones in it -- but the AC15c1 with the greenback in it is a lovable amp, from the practice room up to a medium gig. It will run out of gas in a really big room or an outdoor stage but up till then, it's God's gift to the telecaster.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

A guy I played with a couple years ago used (and still uses) an AC 10, and, at the same time I played a Blues Junior III. It's hard to compare our sounds, because he "trashed" his signal so bad with effects pedals. But I was never fully happy with the BJ III, so I sold it. I would like to try an AC 10, but would install a 12" speaker. Neither amp has onboard tremolo, which I like on my Vox Pathfinder 15R (in a one 12" cab)
    Having had and didn't like the Blues Junior, I have to vote for the AC 10.

7. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Not tried the AC10, but the AC4, 15 and 30s I’ve tried have more dynamics to them and I really like the tremolo on the models that sport it. I like the clean headroom on the Blues Junior better though, and the spring reverb is OK (not amazing - I preferred the tank in my cheap old solid state Valvestate).

Archtops likes this.
  8. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

I've played both. Not really a fan of the BJr. The ac10, however, sounds brilliant. Nice full sounds with a great reverb.

9. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Afflicted

The Vox for me. I sold my Blues Jr 3 with the Crex, despite the upgraded speaker the amp still sounds limited by the box. My AC10 sounds better overdriven and the digi reverb is miles better than the ss/spring in the BJr. It may only have a 10" but it sits in its cabinet much better. Live, I use a 1x12 cab with it.

The Fender does have more headroom, by a long shot.

10. twangking

twangking Friend of Leo's

Ac10. The blues Jr is less dynamic and less of an interesting tone.

11. Archtops

Archtops Tele-Holic

I have the Blues Jr. Laquered Tweed and love it’s Fendery goodness. It’s a newer model and sounds better than my old PR Silver face.
    However I also have the Vox AC10C1 and love it for its Voxey chime.

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Some people like the Blues Jr. I'm not one of them. I'd rather have a Pro Jr or Laney Cub 10 ( which I did end up buying ) and use a reverb pedal. I've heard other players get great sounds from the Blues Jr, but maybe it's just because I've only ever toyed with them at moderate, not bar volume levels that they've always sound flat, flaccid and boxy. My ears will differ from yours. To me, they're 'meh' and the reverb doesn't tickle me either.

The AC10 however....

I'm not in the market for another combo, but if I were, of the two, I'd go AC10 every time. It sounds more 'dynamic' to me. The quote marks are because I'm not sure of the term to use here. From low volume to large room filling volume, the AC10 has it covered, whereas the BJr sounds vanilla, and to me, has gaps in its sound.
    I -love- spring reverb. I don't love the BJr implementation. I'd rather have the AC10 digital and stick my pedal up front for springy clanginess.

I appreciate I'm probably in the minority here of folk who don't swoon over the BJr.

13. horax

horax Tele-Afflicted

Thanks, guys. I was always leaning this way but figured I ask around ot see if I'm insane. ;)

14. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

AC10.

15. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Afflicted

AC10 with a Greenback and better tubes for the win

16. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Have owned a blues jr for awhile now, and have played through an ac -10 at the store ( fairly loud too!) The Vox has its own thing going on, and while it’s fantastic at what it does, it’s just not my thing. They do sound great and would make a great recording amp, but if you’re not into the Vox sound, then this is not the amp for you.

My Bjr has the BillM mods done to it, and my wife has my old Bjr3, for a small gig amp, I’ll take the Bjr every time over the AC-10. While I’m not totally crazy with the tone, it’s more of what I like to hear coming out of the amp than the Vox. The BillM modded amp is very close to my super reverb, just doesn’t quite have the shimmer of the SR. Never tried a C-Rex in these amps, though I have used them in other amps. I imagine it would make the Bjr really loud, and help balance the bass somewhat.

Franc Robert

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.