AC Unit Acting Weird. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Stringbanger, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s a Fridgidaire window unit, maybe 10 years old. It cools a large bedroom. I serviced it this spring. Sprayed the outside part with cleaning fluid, and I sprayed the inside part with cleaning fluid. I cleaned the filter.

The Problem: When I turn off the unit, something continues to run!?! Sounds like a motor at low speed. So, I unplugged it, waited a minute or so, and plugged it in again. I hit the GFI reset on the cord close to the plug. Then turned it on, and it ran as it should. Turned it off, and I still hear a motor running. What the heck! Is this thing shot?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  2. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Sounds normal for a fan to continue a little bit after shutting down as the unit stabilizes temperature. If it is still cooling the air, not tripping breakers, or dumping moisture it sounds fine.

3. Stringbanger

Thanks for your response. We do believe that it is tripping the breaker. It runs continuously when the power button is shut off. It has been extremely muggy here the last couple of days (dew points above 70). I’m not sure if that is a contributing factor or not.

4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

If it is tripping breakers and dumping moisture into the air....it has problems with the condenser. They used to be really basic units, but now they include energy saving components and thermal shut-offs, etc that complicate matters for the home repair type to troubleshoot. Since it is over 10 years old, I would bite the bullet and just replace it. Units that old are consuming far more energy and that means money out of your pocket to keep a room cool. Nothing worse than losing your AC in the heat of summer, so buy some piece of mind with a new unit.

Zepfan and Stringbanger like this.
  5. HotRodSteve

HotRodSteve Friend of Leo's

Maybe the AC/DC needs to be upped?

Stringbanger likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I think the fins on the back of those units can freeze up in certain conditions when running for long hours. They don't cool so well then due to decreased airflow. I have a window mounted small ac like that that's about 15 years old and it runs strange too at times.

I've also got a large Hitachi A/C in a wall that used to be my parents. Must be 40 years old now and that things a beast. Shakes the whole house but cools like nothing else. I stopped using it about 15 years ago due to the power bill.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
    Stringbanger likes this.
  7. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Holic

liquid in the evaporator. you are hearing the liquid changing to a gas. like Mr Chunk says above.... frozen coils... and those things usually mean something else is wrong. its a low flow problem. could be something mechanical, but low on refrigerant is high on the list. as for tripping the breaker... its related. when the cycle is disrupted the temps and pressures go out of normal range and you can end up with liquid in the compressor or any number of things. now bear in mind, I haven't worked on any of this stuff since the days of Freon R12 and its a different world these days. they are building things envirno friendly and that often means it barley works, or rather it only works when everything is just right. you may get by with a test & service.

Stringbanger likes this.
  8. Stringbanger

Thanks for your response! Service? Don’t you think replacing is a better choice though. If I get a service man out here, plus possible parts, it could be a couple hundred bucks, which is what I think I paid for the unit.

dogmeat likes this.
  9. 68tele

68tele Friend of Leo's

Replace it. Don't overthink it.

10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Relay welded shut somewhere.
    Just buy a new unit.
    They're really cheap now.

Stringbanger likes this.
  11. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Stringbanger is a good man...... but he’s never been accused of overthinking anything before. This is a first:)

68tele and Stringbanger like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.