1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ABY question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by teleplayer99, Oct 9, 2020.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

Want to try 2 amps with one guitar. The Swart amp has only input. I know my Blackstar has line out for cabinet. How can this be done to create my dual 5 watter wall of sound?

2. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

You can use an ABY box in "Y" mode to go into 2 amps at once in stereo.

Is that the question?

3. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I recommend the Radial Twin-City ABY Amp Switcher. It has a polarity reverse switch to phase match amps, a ground lift switch and other features. I have one and it works great when I use two amps.

SecretSquirrel and JuneauMike like this.
  4. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I use this Radial ABY pedal for my 2 amp setup.

[​IMG]

JuneauMike likes this.
  5. fredwrites

fredwrites TDPRI Member

Agree — excellent pedal!

6. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure what you were thinking to try. Were you wondering if you can marry the two amps without an ABY pedal?

Is the Blackstar 'out' a *line out* or an extension cabinet (speaker) jack? (Not sure that matters to this question, but it matters.)

7. teleplayer99

Thanks for the replies. I am now ready to try it after getting up to speed on it. I have a Blackstar that is just sitting while I use the Swart and thought it would be fun to use them both.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

A Y box is super easy to make and you really don’t need any more circuits than wires connecting three jacks.
    You can buy expensive boxes that are able to fix several different problems that might come up in some situations, but buying solutions before having actual problems is a waste, especially if you’re not committed to touring with a dual amp rig.
    Most problems are related to bad wiring in venues.
    If you want to switch between the two amps you do need an ABY, but those are like $20 used or $40 new, not $100-$200.

ce24 likes this.
  9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Might have been thinking of “daisy chaining”?
    Confusing that with line out?

10. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I run wet/dry/wet at home with three amps. It’s a bit complex but it sounds heavenly and is very inspiring to play. I’ve succumbed to technology and convenience for gigging, using a Helix and in ear monitoring.

Edit: sorry for the pointless reply, in retrospect. My solution is with the three amps always on so it doesn’t help with your switching problem... oops!

teleplayer99 likes this.
  11. teleplayer99

I like all the replies and the 3 amp thing sounding good is what I want to hear. My line out comment was an example of my inexperience with the ABY. My Swart has an eight inch speaker so I am hoping the 10 inch in the Blackstar will yield a nice, full sound. Fun no matter how it works out.

12. teleplayer99

Regarding the wet/dry/wet 3 amp setup, do you run these together?

13. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I use a TubeMeister 18 watt head as my main amp. I use the preamp section of this amp as my main amp and tone. Like I said, it’s complex, but I like messing around with this stuff. So my signal chain goes something like this:

Guitar -> pedal board (Tuner, Tremolo, Phaser, Joyo Crunch Distortion, EHX Hot Wax dual overdrive)

Out from the dual overdrive to the input of my amp head.

Out from the effects loop send on my amp back to the pedal board (noise gate, EQ for lead boost, volume pedal)

From here I use a simple Y cable out of the volume pedal and send one signal to the input on the middle amp - this is the amp in the center and is the “dry” amp. The signal to this amp is before any delay/reverb/modulation effects.

The second signal from the Y cable goes into the next section of the pedalboard ( mono tap tempo delay, stereo multi FX pedal 1, stereo multi FX pedal 2)

The 2 multi FX pedals are Zoom MultiStomp pedals. They are each the size of a single stomp box and allow me to set up several complex reverb/delay/modulation patches on each one that can be scrolled through using the single foot switch on each of the two pedals.

From the second stereo FX pedal, I take the right channel and go back into the FX loop return in my amp head, which results in only the right channel signal being sent to the power amp and attached speaker cabinet of the TubeMeister. I then take the left channel of the stereo FX pedal and plug that into the input on the third amp on the left.

So the three amps left to right are:

Stereo FX left(Peavey Bandit), dry center(Fender Mustang II modelling a Twin Reverb), stereo FX right (TubeMeister power amp into a Fender Bassbreaker 112 cabinet).

I set the volume and EQ as closely as possible on the left and centre amps to match the speaker driven by the TubeMeister power section on the right and the. I can control everything using the preamp EQ on the TubeMeister and, of course, the pedal board. The left and centre amps are set completely clean because all the dirt comes from the TubeMeister preamp and the pedals.

The centre and left amps are really just operating as powered speaker cabinets.

It’s really a sweet setup, but it stays home ;). It brings me some joy, though, and that’s the main thing!

14. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I'll bet you have at least one stomp box that has a stereo out, such as many chorus, flange, and phase pedals.

Run that pedal last in your chain with a Y cable (one 1/4" TRS plug to two 1/4" TS plugs) in the 'stereo out' jack to the two amps, with the effect switched off.

Bella likes this.
  15. teleplayer99

That does sound like a fun setup, and complicated. Mine is going to start simple with two amps...one single channel and channel switching. The single channel has a tube reverb and the channel switching just has clean and gain with a footswitch. And it will stay at home.

mkdaws32 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.