1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ABY box question...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Dec 4, 2020.

1. cottontails1959

cottontails1959 TDPRI Member

Check out the GFI System CABZeus. You can run mono in and dial out through XLR, plus it's got a 1/8" headphone jack.

Jakedog likes this.
  2. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

I think the volume drop thing is more common with stereo panning type pedals such as the Ernie Ball 6165.

Jakedog likes this.
  3. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

https://reverb.com/item/35969002-radial-tonebone-classic-quick-sale?bk=
    Not affiliated with seller.

This is a great price on a great tool. You can play, A, B, or both, and adjust one or both to have extra oomph, etc. I love this thing!

Jakedog likes this.
  4. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Found one. I was at my buddy’s little indie music shop, and there it was in the display case. Older one. He said he’s thinks he’s had it kicking around for twenty years or so. Hasn’t used it in at least 15. We plugged it in, and it works fine. It’ll run two amps at the same time, with no signal loss or volume drop that either of us could detect. Done deal!

ACCACF7E-FD64-4D6A-99B3-95660D810919.jpeg

Bonus points for the shiny red paint job, and the totally hokey name and slogan.

It’s passive, but takes a battery to run the LEDs. We couldn’t hear any difference between running through this, and plugging straight into the amps themselves.

Wyzsard likes this.
  5. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

If one of your amps has two inputs trying daisy chaining your two amps first. If you’re okay with that sound you may not need an active box.

edit: just saw you already grabbed one. Rock on!!

Jakedog likes this.
  6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah, I’ve done that before. All the amps I currently own are single input, unfortunately. Would have made things a lot simpler.

monkeybanana likes this.
  7. Burning Fingers

Burning Fingers Tele-Meister

Do any of the methods of AB/Y switching mentioned in this thread solve the issue of the unused amp being noisy due to the input not being shorted to earth ?...you know.. the sound you get when you unplug the lead from your guitar then turn up the volume dial on your amp to normal playing level.

I have tried a few commercial passive AB/Y boxes but none of them silenced the amp not in use..and they all reduced the volume of both amps to some degree.

8. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's

I didn't read all the responses, so I'm sure it is already covered by someone else...

I have an ABY on my "main" rig as you describe. One guitar to two amps.
    I run my boost, compressor, ODs, distortion, and fuzz between the guitar and the ABY...so both amps get the benefit. I generally use the reverb of my tube amp (Bugera G5). I run my other pedals through the FX loop of the second amp (Quilter ss 201 head)...phaser, tremolo, chorus, spinner, delay and a reverb (I only use the reverb pedal if running this amp alone). If there is a signal loss, I'm not experienced enough to really notice it. The tube amp is on a 1x12 cab, while the ss drives a 1x12+2x8. I'd probably never take this rig out of the house and I just bought a new looper that may require a rethink on some of this. But it suits my rat rod, old street racer, John Milner, greasy coverall tastes. Cheers!

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Radial Bigshot. Provides phase switching, ground lift and Isolation. Also has a tuner out. No input power required but can be powered to light the LEDs. I use it with a wet/dry set up.

Jakedog likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.