1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ABY box question...

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jakedog, Dec 4, 2020.

1. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

The benefit of a good aby over something like a stereo chorus, is that it may have useful features like ground lift and phase inversion.

For instance, I can't use my dmm delay to get stereo because it always seems to cause an out of phase sound.

Radial makes great stuff for this purpose. Made in the great Northern country of Canada, and affordable.

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'll second that. I use a Radial Swithbone with the ground lift and phase inversion.

I typically use it in both channels of my DRRI but I've also used two amps on stage, cheekily plugging into a second amp if there is one on stage (with the amp owners permission of course).

The best tone I achieved - and several members of the audience commented about the 'great tone' was with my DRRI and an AC30. :)

Attached Files:

StevesBoogie and Jakedog like this.
  3. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Radial Big Shot. I have one, and running 2 amps stereo. No volume drop. Works great.

Jakedog and PeterUK like this.
  4. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

You will need proper isolation (transformer) and a phase switch if you want to go into two amps.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  5. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Afflicted

Radial Big Shot ABY has all that. It's a very affordable pedal that will do exactly what the OP wants. A stereo rig. :)

Jakedog, Piotr and PeterUK like this.
  6. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

is this what you were looking for one guitar into two amps amp1 , amp 2, both amps
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/twin-city

Jakedog and PeterUK like this.
  7. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This is what I'd go for if I was in the market for a new one.

The Switchbone is excellent and the clean boost is to die for - ideal to stamp on for solos - but it needs a 15v power supply which is a PITA.

Despite this, it's one of the best pedals on my board. :)

Jakedog likes this.
  8. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Friend of Leo's

You can actually split your signal to run two amps with a Boss TU-2...or similar pedal tuner with two buffered outputs. It sounds just fine, but the only issue is when you engage the tuner to tune, only one amp will get muted. It’s kind of like running the two amps off a stereo effect pedal like a chorus but just without adding any effect...well the tuning is the effect, I guess you could say.

Jakedog likes this.
  9. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

10. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

Id go with the radial bigshot, its got all the switches to reverse polarity/lift ground/etc. To make sure different things play well woth each other.

JamesAM and Jakedog like this.
  11. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

I don’t have a need for wet sounds, so I just run a radial big shot to a vox ac15 and a tweed deluxe clone, both run wide open. The iso transformer and polarity switch has helped immensely in that pedal.

Probably the best $100 I’ve spent on any piece of gear in the 20 years I’ve been playing. The highs of the vox and darkness of the tweed are perfect complements, and work together to produce an almost plexi like tone at lower volumes, if you can believe that.

Jakedog likes this.
  12. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

'Need' is a strong word to use... in some circumstances yes, in others no.

Jakedog likes this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Starting a little after 8 minutes Phil X talks about and demos how he uses an ABY to run two amps, one clean and the other for his leads.

If you're comfortable with soldering ... you can build an ABY pedal from scratch, includes a ground lift.

Or an AB pedal (search the channel if you want a simpler, no LED, no power needed AB box)

If you need a quickie/inexpensive pedal box ... get a hardware store surface mount short junction box with matching lid.
    My Fuzz Face pedal I built last January has a fiberglass housing like this, I only had the taller 'regular' version at the time, but they make shorter ones for conduit runs.

Mud67 and Jakedog like this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Switchblade for years, but it does suck some tone.
    I recently updated it with a diagram I found somewhere with a couple dpdt switches.
    Solves ground loops and tone suck.
    No LEDs.
    It would be convenient but I hate batteries.
    @Jakedog , is it important to have switching?
    If you just want to run 2 amps you can connect the inputs with a guitar cable.

Jakedog likes this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve done that in the past. But both the amps in question have single inputs. You can’t daisy chain them. I could run the pre-out to the pwr-in. Chain the FX loops. But then I lose the pre on the second amp. That defeats the purpose.

Switching is not a thing at all for me. Both amps will be selected at all times. I have no need to switch between them. I’ve never needed phase switching, either. If one of the speakers is out, I’ve just always swapped the leads so it matches the other one. Problem solved.

telemnemonics and muscmp like this.
  16. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

I've always used my super hard on clone which has 2 outputs, like the original... those outputs are just chained together, it literally just has a wire going from one tip connection, to the other tip connection on the output jacks and because it's boost you can make up for any signal loss through the splitting of the signal. I've never had an issue running two amps like that, I have both amps plugged into the same power strip. I know it's not the same in every situation but in my experience you don't need anything fancy just to send your guitar signal to two amps.

Jakedog and muscmp like this.
  17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

The oft claimed "need" for an active box, a buffer, a ground lift, a phase reversal switch, an isolation transformer, a boutique Swedish masterpiece of space age engineering etc, those are all opinions!

I've seen posts claiming a user had problems with a passive splitter then bought brand X active splitter and the special circuitry made it all better, then pointed out that the active box they felt fixed the problems associated with a passive box, was not active at all, and only had power to the led indicators.

You may however encounter venues with faulty wiring where some of those $250 splitter features help, or you may have two amps that are not phased the same, in which case a phase reversal switch would be handy.

If you go middle of the road on price, the feature you needed might not be included on that particular model.

IMO you can just use a $35 passive ABY or wire up your own with just three jacks wired together.
    If you need insurance for poorly wired venues then you probably need one of the big money boxes with all the features.

As far as the signal lost to a passive splitter, it's not a tone suck or tone change, and is IME mostly theoretical.
    I know you don't like guitar tone knobs and i don't either for the same picky ear reasons, and I've used a simple passive splitter off and on since 1990ish.
    I was told then about the small signal loss and could not hear any sort of dulling of the tone like a guitar tone control, not even the dulling of the tone that the guitar volume pot causes.
    Signal strength lost when adding a whole 'nother amp?
    Seriously not a problem!

Amps that need a strong signal to distort?
    I ran an old Plexi 100 and an old BFSR together a lot, off a splitter I wired up, and both amps got dirty as needed, just fine.

A stereo fx pedal is also great if you already have it and the buffer is on when the effect is off.
    You can compare a $29 passive ABY to your stereo chorus to see if there's a tonal issue, but of course the buffer will make the overall volume a little higher, plus folks complain about one version of the boss buffer being terrible compared to another version of the boss buffer, so you might hear that.

Si G X, Jakedog and JamesAM like this.
  18. J-bass&Tele

J-bass&Tele Tele-Meister

As a Swede, I got a good laugh out of the "Swedish masterpiece of space age engineering" above, even though I use a German Lehle P-Split when I use two amps. =) 40 bucks used. I have used a Radial Big Shot and a Lehle Little Dual before I realized that I never switched between the amps. Both great but more than twice the cash compared to the P-split.

I use the P-Split cause I don't need switching. It's passive so it doesn't need power and I've got a couple of buffers before it in the chain and a buffered splitter is only beneficial when it's the only pedal between the guitar and the amps. A buffered or an always-on pedal will in most cases provide a low impedance output, low enough to drive the lower impedance that comes from having two input impedances in parallel.

Do I always need the transformer isolation? No, but the occasions where the electrical wiring on stage/rehearsal space were sub par it made a very notable difference.

Do I always need the phase inversion? No, but I combine 2 out of 4-5 amps where I'm not able to reach the speaker cables without unscrewing a whole bunch of screws. When I use it for wet/dry the phase inversion is useful if one of the pedals after the split flips the phase.

Jakedog likes this.
  19. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Same here, same model. No drop that I can hear.

JamesAM and Jakedog like this.
  20. JamesAM

JamesAM Tele-Meister

Ditto.

Wyzsard and Jakedog like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.