Abridge Too Far

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by P Thought, May 27, 2020.

1. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I finally picked up a copy of my daughter's favorite book, The Count of Monte Cristo, which she's been bugging me to read for at least ten years now. I'm about halfway through it, and I had been starting to wonder. . . .

Our daughter came over last night, with baby and babydaddy, to see our new trailer and have dinner with us. She said, "What is that, the comic-book version?"

DANG IT!

I gave up abridged versions of good books (or any books,) in maybe the fourth grade. I got stung this time. It doesn't say anything on the outside cover, and I guess I breezed by the inside cover page without reading it. It did seem to be moving quickly, and the writing didn't seem to be running quite so deep as that of most world classics I've read. . .but by golly and yeppers, there on the inside title page it says, "Translated and abridged by ****** ****." Crap.

My daughter loaned me her copy; I picked it up this morning when I dropped off her mom for grandma duty. I'm starting on page one, soon's I get done with this rant. Here's a pic. Can you tell which one's the abridged version? Hint: my effin' bookmark is still in it.

Short Count.jpg

Oops, sorry, guess you can't see my bookmark from this angle. That's a cool sticker from my daughter's work for my guitar case, there in the real book.

Jimmy Owen, Tommy Biggs, tery and 3 others like this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's a book!? Well, if it's as good as his sammich...

tubegeek, Peegoo, KevinB and 4 others like this.
  3. P Thought

P.S. NOW I see it, looking at the picture all blowed up. Down there in small u/l white type, fading into Paul Lemoyne's puffy white shirt, it says "Abridged". Chickenpluckers.

4. BigDaddyLH

Funnily enough, we were talking about Dumas at dinner yesterday. My daughter watched https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notre-Dame_de_Paris_(musical) and wrote a report on it for french class. She didn't like the musical -- too operatic and samey. She also had trouble translating some things into french -- Bon Patron kept telling her to translate "love triangle" as "ménage à trois". Dirty old Patron!

P Thought likes this.
  5. P Thought

I don't speak French, but isn't that pretty much what "ménage à trois" means?

EsquireBoy, nojazzhere and AAT65 like this.
  6. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

The first edition of The Count Of Monte Cristo which I read was One which my dad was given as a school prize back in the 1930s. Unfortunately it was only volume 1 of a 2-volume set: so it was a very long time (spoiler alert!!) before I finally learned how Edmond Dantès had his revenge. (I think it ended when the Count first visited Marseille and met the Morrels.) Eventually I bought a paperback (& started again at page 1).
    I asked my dad if he ever had Volume 2... he says he doesn’t remember! Maybe he still doesn’t know how the story ended...

P Thought likes this.
  7. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

At least you can get that one. Trying to find an unabridged set of the Gulag Archipelago, and it ain't easy.

P Thought and thunderbyrd like this.
  8. BigDaddyLH

Ménage à trois is literally "household of three" and implies a living arrangement or at least an agreed upon romantic arrangement. A love triangles to me implies the opposite of an arrangement, more of a disarrangement.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

At least she didn't catch you with a copy of Classics Illustrated lying around. (do they still make those?) That was how I was first exposed to a few "classics".....I remember The Hunchback Of Notre Dame and A Tale of Two Cities.....but they inspired me to read the real things a few years later. (I read the comics in about first grade or so)
    My folks, when I was little, also subscribed to Reader's Digest versions of novels....you'd have five novels in one "normal sized" volume. I think that's how I first read Day of the Jackal. It's really amazing how much some authors "pad" their books with a bunch of extra stuff. ;)

P Thought likes this.
  10. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

A love triangle would be a circumstantial event that implies "never the two shall meet" whereas with the former, that meeting is sorta baked into the definition. Can't spell Ménage à trois without the "trois."

PS: why did I weigh in here. I'm sooo bored....

nojazzhere, Toto'sDad and P Thought like this.
  11. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Oui, c'est vrai.

P Thought likes this.
  12. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Meister

At least “I’m a ding-dong daddy from Dumas” didn’t enter into it...

P Thought likes this.
  13. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

An abridgement isn't necessarily an affront to the original. Victor Hugo's Les Miserables became a Broadway play that gave an introduction to the Second French Revolution to people who last studied history in 10th grade. The setting of Le Mis was the Second French Revolution, the first proletarian revolution, a workers revolt brought on my the untenable conditions in France created by the industrial revolution. The literary naturalism movement in the United States picked up where Victor Hugo left off.

nojazzhere and P Thought like this.
  14. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Busted :D

P Thought likes this.
  15. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I guess Cliff Notes would really get her riled up?

nojazzhere and P Thought like this.
  16. P Thought

Mine's a Bantam Books selection, and "affront to the original" would probably be a harsh assessment of it. I wouldn't blame anybody for reading it. I just try to hold to the originals myself if I can.

I'd read it in French if I could. Actually, I read very few books that are translated from their original languages, but with Hugo, Cervantes, Zola, Flaubert, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy. . .whaddya gonna do?

17. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

What's wrong with triangle amoureux?

It's a bit literal, but...

P Thought likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

There may be a more idiomatic expression, but the translator (Bon Patron) kept suggesting a ménage à trois.

P Thought likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I once knew a guy who was a moderately well situated minor big shot for an oil company, yep there is such a thing. Anyway, when oil slumps usually they don't lay off even moderately big bigshots, but in his case they did. His name was, well we'll call him Harry. Anyway, he decided he liked to play golf and drink beer a lot more than he liked working in an office for an oil company so he got him a job at the county golf course as a greenskeeper. He could play golf for free being an employee, he made enough money working to cover his golfing bets, and drink all of the beer he wanted.

Then one Saturday night, old Harry hit the big time. He could do a pretty good impersonation of Lonesome George when he wanted so he went out drinking, looking for a date. He happened onto a couple of gals who lived together, as more than friends. They thought he was cute, he was kind of a small guy, and they didn't feel he was trying to impress them, nor did they feel threatened by him, so they invited him home to participate in a Ménage à trois. He must have worked out very well, because they approached him the next day and said, look, we are totally committed to each other, but once in a while, we like to have a guy join us. Here's our proposition, you move in with us, we'll pay the bills, you help out with the cleaning and cooking, and stay out of our way until we call on you to participate. Harry thought he hadn't anything to lose, so he said, I'll just take you up on that offer. The last time I ran onto Harry, he was still working at the golf course, had gotten his handicap deep down into the single digits, and was still happily one of the three residents at his two friends domicile which was going on eight years by then. I asked him, aren't you ever going back to work? He replied with a little grin, no, no I don't think I will.

P Thought likes this.
  20. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

So lemme get this straight. Your daughter has been bugging you to read TCoMC for 10 years and her copy looks brand new whereas your copy looks like it's been hit by a bus. Interesting. :D

P Thought, Jerry J and E5RSY like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.