1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

About to star building from scratch.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Voicing 13, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hey,

A friend and I have bought wood last week and are about to embark in our first real builds. We have cnc templates. We are about to cut the wood to make body blanks. Before we start I have two questions:

1. I know that the joint is usually in the middle of the body blank but the other day I was talking with a knowledgeable friend. He was saying that to have the joint off set could be better sonically and that is how Leo use to do it. Both for sonic reasons and for solidity. If the guitar were to be drop it would be less likely to break down the middle. I was not able to verify this historically speaking.

From what I have read, I would tend to believe that sonically, if there is a difference, it would be minor and in terms solidity, my understanding again is the joint is extremely solid.

2. I have purchased a great neck locally but the heel dimension are smaller than a normal telecaster width wise. About a 1/16" on both sides. Should I make the neck pocket to that dimension or use a shim? My considerations in the matter are, if I eventually change neck I would need to make the neck pocket slightly bigger. If I shim, sonically it may not be ideal.

Thanks in advance!

2. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Make the joint wherever you want - if you join correctly, breaking at the joint is the least of your worries. Will joint location affect your tone?... fugeddaboutit! [emoji4]

Can't answer your neck question. Except to say that missing 1/8" of normal neck width seems a bit much, especially if that holds true all the way to the nut.

MM73 likes this.
  3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Sonically there won't be any difference in both questions as far as I'm concerned. It's much easier using the joint line as your center line. If it's properly glued that won't be the place that it'll break anyway. Take the neck back and get a proper one. If someone is making a neck smaller than it should be then something isn't right there. If it's a Fender style neck it should be 2-3/16" and I wouldn't settle for anything less. Not a great way to start out a first build by having to shim from someone else's error. But that's just me...:)

Good luck on your first build and ask lots of questions if you need to!

4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

Leo used whatever he had available to use. A good joint if made correctly should not break no matter where it is on the body. Tone and glue joints haven't been scientifically tested, so I wouldn't worry about it. I second the above about getting the right size neck for your build.

5. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Also, having a smaller neck in width means the outer strings are going to be a little closer together and I'd think you'd have to factor that in with the bridge. It's not much but it might be a problem in the long run. Maybe and maybe not.

6. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

You'll have bridge and pickup / string alignment issues if, I understand correctly that, the neck is 1/8 width wise thinner than it should be. I'll 2nd Ricky and Marty. Keep asking questions! Good luck!

7. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Thanks for the advice guys! Your posts confirmed my suspicions. Both about sound and Leo.

We look at the wood during the week and settled with the joint in the middle. We couldn't get more bodies out of the wood if we placed the joints else where. We are getting six bodies. Two more than originally planned!

Thanks again for answering, this is a great forum.

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

It's best if the first project is fun, while you will be learning a lot. I always advise people that are learning to kind of take the "paint by numbers" approach until the neck fits well and the bridge/pickups are aligned - then get creative after that. A lot of times people finish a number of builds and are doing a fair level of reworking the whole design before they know it after that first one. But, it's best to make that first one more simple and fun.

9. Voicing 13

Voicing 13 Tele-Meister

Hey Mojotron,

Sound advice. I've done a few projects before this one and I tend to go little by little and take my time. I found my self in a similar situation and I would rather avoid it this time. I am hoping to salvage that first body with these new templates.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.