About to commit a sin

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Marc Morfei, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

I'm getting ready to sell my Princeton Reverb, and am feeling guilty about it. I had the 65RI, and loved it, but ultimately decided I didn't care for the scooped blackface sound. So I got the Custom 68. It is a very lovely sounding amp, but just too dark. I have been running it with the bass on 1 and treble on 9, and the bridge pickup sounds great. But the neck pickup is almost unusable, just too muddy. I tried different speakers, which raised the headroom and tightened things up, but still I am fighting it. Recently pickup up a Bassbreaker 15 for a very good price, and I am really liking it. It does not sound like a Princeton Reverb of course. But it sounds good in its own way, and is effortless to dial in. Some people say the Bassbreaker is dark, but I don't get that at all. The EQ knobs all have a very wide sweep, plus it has a bright switch. So it seems like someone could dial it in any way they want. Where I'm at now is to sell the PR68 and keep the BB, as my small-venue amp (I have other bigger amps). I will come out a couple hundred $$ ahead, and have something that sounds good and is more versatile by far. But still I feel like dumping a Princeton Reverb is a sacrilege. It does sound beautiful. Is it really possible I can prefer the BB?

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

I had a PR, 78. I kept the cabinet and speaker,and made a head out of it. I kept the cab at a family friend home and it disappeared. Recently, I saw a Vibro Champ on Craigslist. BOOM, I traded the head & received $200 cash, deal done. I am very happy cause the Vibro is a tone fricassee. Now, in my office I keep it, My 54 Supro Coment, ANd a Vox AC4 clone that has it. I am happy.

3. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

You’re the opposite of Jim Campilongo who sets the bass at 10 on his 68 Custom Princeton Reverb.

I don’t understand the guilt about not liking how an amp sounds. You paid for it yourself right?

It’s great that you found an amp that you like much better. Enjoy!

4. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

I’ve sold two PRRI’s in the last 5 years. It hurts but you’ll get over it. Especially if you like the BB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Ahhh! And I thought, alright, starting Monday morning with the hottest salacious gossip from the weekend:cool:

6. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

What? You expected him to have been naked in a bed of tubes? its the amp section!, not Bad dog.

Fiesta Red and Shuster like this.
  7. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

:lol::lol:

8. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Not seeing any reason for guilt or sin; you like what you like. We are talking about amps....

Two different animals, IMO. the Princeton version is a 6V6 (1X10) sort of aimed at one version of classic Fender-ness, while the bassbreakers are more the older Bassman style (where Marshall took up from) EL84 powered thing, 1X12 - with some added feature and a better cab (IMHO).

Not sure how you ended up with a darker/muddy version of a Princeton - most experiences seem otherwise, but why fight it? You found something you like and has a more useful EQ for you. Say a few "Hail Leo" and go about your business...

NewKid likes this.
  9. Marc Morfei

Yeah, right? Shows how pathetically boring I am. Selling gear is the worst thing I've done to feel guilty about. I think I'm even too old for a mid-life crisis at this stage.

Shuster likes this.
  10. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It just sounds like you like the EL84 sound better. To me a PR can be glorious but only up to a certain volume level. Mine's always at 4 on bass and 6-7 on treble. Strangely all my smaller BF amps verge on "too middy" to me rather than " too scooped". But I know that's not the common perception.

11. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

To bugger up a Tolkien paraphrase....there's NO amp to rule them all. If the Princeton Reverb doesn't do it for you, get rid of it.
    However, I will regret to my dying day, in a moment of financial weakness, selling a BF 1963 Princeton (non-reverb). I had put a 12" speaker in it, and it was a tone machine.....but I got offered TOO MUCH money to justify keeping it. Now, unless I hit the lottery, I'll never likely be able to afford another. But...c'est la vie!

NewKid, theprofessor and Fretting out like this.
  12. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Meister

What you really need is an AB switch. :D

Shuster likes this.
  13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Don't dig it?
    Send it down the road and don't look back.

14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I had a PRRI and fell out of love with it. Went to a SE Humboldt Hot Rod Blues Junior and a Helix. Also bought and returned a Morgan 18 watt.
    I returned to an SE PRRI with a 12” speaker. I am very happy. It’s a great pedal platform for dirtier tones and I love it’s clean and edge of breakup tones.
    Buy and keep what you like.

15. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Maybe you're just not a Fender guy. I'm not.

16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't love it, sell it and move on. Not like you won't see another one for sale later if you change your mind.

17. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

There's only one sin: not being true to yourself.

[​IMG]

Telecastoff1, teletimetx and BB like this.
  18. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Any time I run into an amp I don't like, I modify it until I like it.

Of course I don't do Buggera or Line 6.

:D

That works for Jim but not generally for mere mortals.

That's assuming Jim's Princeton reverbs are the same as everyone else's Princeton Reverbs. It ain't necessarily so.
    Arlen Roth uses a real '67 (or so) and a real '68. He plays 'em loud. I wish I took note of his settings.​

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    Commodore 64 likes this.
  19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Dumping a PR IS a sin;

Selling it for a decent price, not so much. ;)

20. Marc Morfei

Sold it on Reverb. Good amp, but money in my wallet is also good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.