About one o'clock in the afternoon a year ago today, Toto left this world.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know you guys probably get tired of hearing about Toto, but I can't help it, I felt compelled to remark on his passing a year ago today. When he was nearing the end, I took him to the vet several times, hand fed him, gave him his medicine as needed and held him every opportunity I had. I took him for what I knew would be his last walk a few days before his last day. If he ate something, I'd go buy more of it, he'd reject it, and I would feed him peanut butter. Then I'd buy some more things to try. There are still some dinners he liked parts of that I can't seem to throw away. I threw the last of his medicine away last week.

Alex the little dog we have now is doing fine, but no matter how hard I try, I just don't feel the same way about him, as I did Toto. Toto and I were star crossed I went al the way to Arkansas to find him, and I wasn't even looking for him. As soon as I saw him, I knew we were meant to be together. I paid more for the privilege than an American made Tele, and never regretted a dime of it. Toto is still part of this forum, because he contributed to many of the post "we've" made here.

Obie Toto Kenobi

July 5, 2003 - August 21, 2018

Clint & Toto 007.JPG

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

Great photo and tribute to Toto .

3. RedTele58

RedTele58 Tele-Meister

Hey TD - a year sure passes quickly. I understand your bond with Toto. No matter how many dogs you've shared your life with, there is always the one special one.
    I won't know what to do when the two lunkheads in my profile picture are gone.

Straydogger, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Oh TD you know how sorry I am about Toto. My Stitch was just like him.
    That picture made me cry. I could take my boys off the leash, they'd know where to go Bailey. one whistle and they'd come back to Papa. Just writing this has made me tear up.
    Please, always remain Toto's Dad, that's your name. My heart goes out to you.
    I hope that Alex eventually gives you the happiness TD did but it's hard. I still miss my Stitch just as you do Toto. Please respond on Conversations - if you wish- I hate public forums.
    Am currently going through the 7th.year of separation/divorce and you are a LUCKY MAN
    KEEP Mrs. TD happy, I'm sure you will.

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I feel you man. They are just love on four feet. You can tell the dog-human relationship has been going for tens of thousands of years. It's in our blood.

6. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone TDPRI Member

"Convergence" of two is real, and beautiful; I see it in the photo.

Tonetele, Greggorios, tery and 2 others like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Always glad to hear "Tales of Toto".....doesn't seem like a year he's been gone. So sorry. (still)
    Just a few days ago, my grandson had to have his dog put to sleep. He had gotten Beau on the same day I had adopted Daisy, although unknown to each other until after the fact. If you recall, Daisy was a Beagle mix, so a "medium/small" dog. Beau was a Shepard mix of some kind, so a larger breed, and in later life got REAL big. We figure he was about twelve years old or so, so we knew he was nearing the end. He was having a LOT of trouble getting around, and pretty much stopped eating the last two days he was alive.
    But now, Beau and Daisy (and maybe Toto) are romping around, having a great time, and pain-free. I think dogs live a shorter life than we do because they're SO GOOD, they earn a place in Heaven long before we do. Anyway, keep posting about Toto (and Alex).....that always counts as "positive" news. ;)

Tonetele, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Toto'sDad

I've been a dog man all my life. One time when I was a little kid, the dog catcher got my little Squeaky dog. I prowled all over the neighborhood and rounded up two dollars and fifty cents worth of empty pop bottles and bailed her out. I never had a friend like Toto though he was as my wife used to say, a little human dressed up in a dog suit.

9. Toto'sDad

I spotted him in a little class case when my wife, and her sister and her husband stopped off at the Arky Barky in North Little Rock while we were on vacation. I couldn't resist, I picked him up, he nibbled on my chin, it was love at first bite! When I said that little dog is going home with me, my wife said "you're crazy." I didn't care I HAD to have him. Best money I ever spent on anything.

10. Toto'sDad

I reckon Doggie heaven is a big place, but it lasts forever, I hope Toto bumps into Daisy and Beau and they all get acquainted and have a great time!

Greggorios, Skydog1010 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nah, you can't share your love too much. Never let the flame go out, I know I couldn't with my little rescue I got four years ago as a pup. We have not been apart more than a couple days for the entire four years. That has to be rough.

RoyBGood, Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  12. Toto'sDad

I know you miss your buddies just like I do mine. I'll always be TD. Alex is a really good dog, he's just an adult dog, and we have no way of knowing what he might have gone through before he came to live with us. He's been slow to adapt to being "our" dog, but he's doing better every day now. He's is stone cold house broken, and with my son having installed a doggie door for him he's been bullet proof, and there are no worries leaving him in the house. When my wife gets up we've always given each other a hug, now Alex jumps up on the piano bench, and we all have a group hug and go ahhhhhhrg, and he growls. It's kind of cute.

nojazzhere, P Thought and Tonetele like this.
  13. Toto'sDad

Time marches inexorably along, just try and give them a little extra attention each day. I tried to always keep that in mind with Toto. I could surely have not enjoyed him any more, I just wish he were still here.

Tonetele and puddin like this.
  14. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

Doesn’t seem like a year. Toto is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Greggorios and Toto'sDad like this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Give Alex extra treats today for helping pull ya through.

Toto had good hair. Jesus-y/McConnaughey vibe if you look at him long enough.

Don’t mourn - celebrate ! It’s hard, but you had him for years, you happened to be in Little Rock, it all worked out - he had a great life.

Toto'sDad, Straydogger and Greggorios like this.
  16. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

These threads bring tears to my eyes. I don’t know how much longer my best girl Sam has left. She’s blind and her kidneys are failing. We carry her up and down steps. But she hasn’t given up yet and my wife and have no intentions of giving up on her until we must. These sure aren’t the anniversaries we like to celebrate. Maybe have whatever Toto liked best for dinner tonight in his memory.

Toto'sDad, Tonetele and Greggorios like this.
  17. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great picture of you both! Friendship and love are forever, man. You were both lucky to have had the time you had together.

Straydogger and Tonetele like this.
  18. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I'm sorry for your loss, TD. Certainly one of the reasons I visit here is to be able to read your stories and the Toto stories as well. I lost my good friend, Gibson, just this April and miss him quite a bit. He was nothing but goodness and was always, always happy, happy to see me. He was a wanderer, and found a good place to be with my wife and me. Something like twelve good years. I'm grateful for that. He was a gift from my wife.

Last night, I was spending some time with my very good friend Lloyd. He was telling me that his wife is still grieving, seriously grieving over the loss of their little dog, Taffy. They hadn't had Taffy from the beginning, she just came from a relative who no longer could care for Taffy. Nonetheless, Taffy certainly won a place in their hearts.

Taffy's ending was particularly grievous, however, in that Lloyd's wife had Taffy on leash and a neighbor's dog, not on leash, attacked and killed Taffy right in full view. The wife feels particularly guilty in that it had already been decided not to walk Taffy in that part of the neighborhood because of those thoughtless people who let their dog out and about off leash.

However, Taffy wanted to go that way on that particular day; and Lloyd's wife, rather than pull Taffy back, let Taffy walk to that part of the neighborhood. And the worst possible case happened.

So a voice from the universe told me that Taffy was called home, her goodness was needed elsewhere.

And that's what I told Lloyd to tell his wife. It was terrible that Taffy's life should end that way, but when the call comes, that's the way it goes sometimes. Maybe I'm crazy to have such thoughts, but who am I to argue with the universe?

Grief has it's way with us and it ain't over until it's over.

I hope Gibson has had the opportunity to have made Toto's acquaintance. If that's a wonky thought, well, I have been deemed certifiably wonky.

Gibson at WWS.jpg

19. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

You never forget a soulmate.
    Well said TD.

Tonetele and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Quite a few dogs have shared our space over the years here. Since I became an adult--I left my own dog in my parents' care when I left home--all our dogs have been brought to us by one or another of our children, then left for us to care for when the kids moved on. I remember almost all of them fondly, but a couple of them were very special, and very hard to lose. We're down to one dog now, he's getting pretty old and gimpy, and we're not sure we'll have another after Rudy leaves us. We tell ourselves we won't, but. . . .

Losing them is part of having them. Toto was a tough loss for you, I know, TD. Go easy on yourself today.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.