About last night: Participation trophies for music... is that where we are now?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by ronzhd, Sep 26, 2020.

1. ronzhd

ronzhd Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have always carried the banner to "support live music". But over the past 10 - 15 years, it has changed to support any individual with an instrument. A lot of the bands/musicians are not worth showing up for. I will make several attempts to "catch a good show" maybe 3 times. We have some really talented players that I will drive extra miles to see. However, most new acts coming through now, I wouldn't walk across the street to hear. If I don't like a band or their music, the players not knowing the music, is not going to help the matter. A good friend got the red ass because I told him I wouldn't go hear a band he liked. I told him they don't practice and they sound horrible, they can't fake being good. Just because they book gigs doesn't make them a good band. Please practice at home, rehearse as a band, and perform on the stage. Not practice with the band while you perform on the stage. Maybe I'm spoiled and I expect to much, but 1st impressions is a good motto.

2. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

I have always believed, people are giving up their time to see/support us so they deserve the best we can do as a band.

I don't mind people walking out if they don't like the music but I won't have that we didn't do our best.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I agree with you 100% that WAY too many bands are just lazy and unprepared......and simply don't care. But there may be a fine line between "bad band" and "unseasoned". There is no better way for a band to get tight and polished than to play out. But I realize that sometimes that's hard to "call".
    To me, this is currently a moot topic.....it's still too soon to be going to gigs anyway. ;)

drlucky and 41144 like this.
  4. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Holic

Some people are just not ready but don’t know it.

gregulator450 and nojazzhere like this.
  5. burtf51

burtf51 Tele-Holic

My musical taste go in quite a few genre's from around the 20's and pretty much stops in the 70's. I don't stay up with folks in the music scene today but I've accidently ran across some young guy's and gal's that have really gone back towards more of the great periods of music, acoustical, traditional, country, bluegrass and jazz showing their respect and appreciation taking this knowledge into their own direction

...for my taste I feel like the measuring stick was from the 20's - 70's and I've seen or heard nothing in music that could equal, surpass or come remotely close.

Merle said about Iris Dement in an interview "you won't hear her on the radio" interviewer ask why? Merle said "because she's too damn good"

6. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If live tours ever come back, Iris Dement is on my bucket list of people to see.

hemingway and mfguitar like this.
  7. Dreadnut

Dreadnut Friend of Leo's

Depends on if it's a paid gig or an "open mic."

Either way, I'm expecting something halfway decent when I'm paying a cover charge at the door.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Not me. I appreciate any live music. Busking, live band. I appreciate their courage to pick up an instrument and try to entertain. If I don't like the music I'll walk away, but I appreciate the effort. I can't stand perfect music, fwiw.

9. MLHull

MLHull TDPRI Member

What gets me is when there is one talented person paired with a group of apes.

urbandefault and RodeoTex like this.
  10. D in Conduct

D in Conduct Tele-Meister

Like JuneauMike, I appreciate anyone who gets out and plays for an audience and I feel free to walk out if I don't feel anything. What irks me is people that play from a book. That just sucks the soul out of a song.

Apologies to those who perform from a book. It's just me.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

How does the title relate to the contents of the post? Not a native speaker, so I may miss some subtleties.

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I got my first “participation” trophy in 1968 playing rec. football. Not sure why all the drama over them now. Been around as long as I can remember.

13. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I’m in agreement completely. If you get up and play you are putting yourself up on the stage and it’s up to the public to vote yea or nay.

Dr Improbable likes this.
  14. thankyouguitar

thankyouguitar Tele-Meister

I've always been irked by "support live music." Support makes me feel like live music needs charity to survive. The audience is part of the equation not just a group to pledge drive....

Anacharsis and smartsoul72 like this.
  15. Cpb2020

Cpb2020 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Same here, but it depends on the context. If I’m at a bar or restaurant and not paying for the entertainment, I’m just happy that said bar/restaurant is supporting local bands. But if you’re paying to see a show, the expectations are different.

16. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

A participation trophy is an award given to everyone who competes in a game. The recipients didn't win or do anything other than show up and play. It's a "feel good" award that isn't linked to superior performance.

The thread is about attending shows to "support live music," but plenty of folks don't really see the benefit in supporting live music that's poorly performed.

Anacharsis and koen like this.
  17. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

You can skip to 1:25 minutes to hear Jimmie Vaughan say the same thing. He says it with such a dead pan delivery that I laugh myself silly every time I hear it. There's some additional truth at 1:45.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Since it’s not a competition and nobody ever gets a trophy, and seldom even makes gas money it seems, this thread seems to be just another get off my lawn piece. No?

19. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Here’s why. Live music requires active support (patrons, audience) to survive. You sure can’t depend on venue managers and owners many of whom would rather bring in Joe-the-dufus, who works for ‘70s wages, than expend the energy to book quality talent that deserves to be heard. If audiences don’t “support” local live music, with their time and tips, quality live music will disappear from that area and move to where it is appreciated- and supported.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  20. johnny k

johnny k Poster Extraordinaire

There is an age factor as well. When i was younger, i would go to most shows i could just to see friends, and maybe discover a good band.

Getting older, i go to shows that i really want to see, because, well i like the band. Last show i really wanted to see was a good 4, 5 years ago.

i still do the random go and see acts i don't know, but way less than when i was younger.

alnicopu likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.