About halfway through the new TOOL album...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Mike Eskimo, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Have a bunch of trim boards to put up on the garage and I remembered oh yeah it’s on Spotify.

Just as a precursor , Am a longtime fan especially the middle records not necessarily the last record. I also like a perfect circle but the new TOOL is not great .

Good. They’re always gonna be good . Fantastic /great at what they do.

But there is nothing at all new or groundbreaking. And shouldn’t they be that?

But maybe they just needed home repairs, retirement, new wine facilities, etc.

Can’t fault them for that.

You are not gonna walk away from this record humming any songs. It’s a great soundtrack for putting up trim boards on the garage door or maybe riding your bike, or beating up your neighbor, but it’s not like the first three.

Jackhammer atmospherics

2. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

:lol:

LutherBurger likes this.
  3. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

I've listened a couple of times. I enjoyed it, there a several spots where all the syncopation comes together and the whole band is rocking, but those spots are a long time coming.

For being labeled a progressive metal band, Tool hasn't done much progressing in the last 2 decades.

4. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

A friend asked me to check it out , he thought it was outstanding, I will have to check it for sure!

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I thought it was a lot better the 2nd time I listened to it.

It's good, but I agree it's too similar to past stuff too.

6. Mexitele Blues

Mexitele Blues Tele-Holic

Danny Carey's drumming is incredible, as usual.

Mike Eskimo and Verne Bunsen like this.
  7. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Meister

The album it's growing on me, the first listen was underwhelming but now I like it.

This is an album for drummers, Danny Carey is loud and front with a magnificent percussion composition.

I have to say that is better to hear it LOUD

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

I listened to half of it on a long commute. Haven't gone back to finish it yet. It required a bit of....effort to get through so far. The older I get, the lazier I am. It's harder to give things an enough ear to allow it to grow on me.

I'm working on it, ok?!

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  9. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I thought it was fantastic the first time I listened to it, and it keeps getting better. I suppose it will take me at least 18 years to decide if it is better than Lateralus.

10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It definitely is not for casual listening.

I listened to 10,000 Days for the first time in years last week after listening to Fear Innoculum and noticed a bunch of stuff I never noticed before.

(I mostly listened to the earlier stuff more)

11. Boxla

Boxla TDPRI Member

I know Tool has always labeled themselves as a straight up 4 on the floor rock and roll band and nothing else. So whatever labels critics designate for them doesn't mean a lot.

I've bought every album since Opiate and bought that one when it was hot off the press. I loved the first 3, and have liked the rest. I loved APC first 2 albums and liked the rest with the exception of the most recent one which is a snooze fest to me. Pucifer has a few songs I love.

I saw Took a couple of months ago and they absolutely rocked. Danny was his typical amazing self and Adam was great. The other two were great as well.

Like many, I've waited and waited and waited for the album. The single drops and I listening wondering where it's going, when is the bomb going to drop and it never comes. The album drops and the entire album sounds like that. I was first amazed it took 13 years to put this out. Seems like a 12 month album project.

I listened to it a bunch and I like it more and more but it still is lacking a lot. Take Danny out of the equation and it's a whole different story because his drumming alone keeps me interested. I pretty much agree that it's geared towards background music in a way.

Nothing at all bad about it, it's Tool, it's going to be good. It's just not what I expected after a 13 year wait.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  12. Norris Vulcan

Norris Vulcan Tele-Holic

Yep, I agree with @Mike Eskimo and @Boxla - good album, good production, great drumming - and it sounds good.
    But not great, and we were expecting great after 13 years.

Obviously wasn't an easy album to make...

[EDIT] Just thought, 13 years is longer than Led Zeppelin's entire career :eek:

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  13. Boxla

Boxla TDPRI Member

They say their process is this: the three of them get together and jam and write songs. Sounds like they might even do this quite frequently. Then they send completed songs to Maynard and wait for him to put some vocals onto the tracks. Even after 13 years, it sounds to me like he was over that process and still didn't have too much vocals to add to these songs.

14. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Big fan of that band. I still haven't gotten of my arse to check it out. I'm 13yrs older but also 13yrs lazier.

When I was gearing up for this release I started looking at youtube & found a show i'd seen in SF around
    '93 while still pushing Undertow. Last show of that tour & they looked like zombies. I couldn't even remember where the venue was in SF although I knew the name - Trocodero Transfer. I can't believe that was 25yrs ago. Christ when did I get old.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.