About Deluxe Reverb speakers ohm changes!!

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by Fercho, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

Hi!!
    I have a deluxe reverb 65 RI amp 8ohm, and they come with a jensen c12k speaker (cerámic 100watt 8ohm), I found this makes the amp loud and clean. In the other hand I love tones of brit rock Bands, so I thought that changing the speaker for a jensen p12q (alnico magnet 40watt) would spice the tone with a bit of driven clean Sound at lower volumes , and better response with drive pedals too. So I bought one on a US store

The problem is that is a mismatched speaker, it is a 16 ohm one, and the amp runs at 8ohm. I can’t send it back coz I live in Bolivia, so for me is a expensive upgrade[​IMG] and Waited 2 months for it to get out of customs. Son my tech told me that I can use it that way, so What I’d like to know is:

1) what should I expect in tone changes and volume (I never use it at more than 3,5)

2) is it safe to run a 16 ohm speaker without blowing the amp in Long term?

3) anyone with similar experience?

Thanks !!

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I think the lower wattage amp, the more it affects tone. I also think it can be a little worse on the transformers in a low wattage amp. But Fender does OK 2x the impedance. I find a 16 ohm in a BFDR to be more gnarly. But at low volume, it might be a tone you like!
    To me that speaker is bright until driven quite hard, and lacking lows too. Have you tried it yet?

Fercho likes this.
  3. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Get a 1/4 inch jack and a 25w 16ohm resistor solder the resistor to the jack plug it I. The external speaker jack on back of amp it will drop the16 ohm speaker to 8 ohms. This is the simple way to do it. When my deluxe is running through my extension cab I do this to mine works perfect. You don’t want to run the amp with just the 16 ohm speaker it will damage the transformer.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    scelestus likes this.
  4. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I think I remember reading recently that the different impedance models use different fractions of the coil. Is that right? Would the 16-ohm one even in parallel with a resistor use more coil than the 8-ohm model? Would that even matter?

5. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

Not Yet, I'll let you Know as soon as I get it Back from the tech, I want to use it at 4 in volume, just to get a spicey clean tone, so I can use a Hot Cake to push the amp to a more driven fuzzy sound... hope to nail the tone in my head, coz living in Bolivia makes it really hard to be experimental with gear!!! But it need to be done hehe, thank you!

schmee likes this.
  6. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I have the P12Q in a Deluxe Reverb Reissue and I wouldn't call it British sounding. It's quite clean and is a lower efficiency speaker so you can turn up the volume a little more and it breaks up sooner than the ceramic speaker. It's still going to be quite loud at 4 and really starts to break up about 4 and 1/2, past 6 it doesn't really get any louder, just dirtier (so they say, I've never had mine up anywhere near that high). A black face fender with 6V6s is really a clean machine by design, but does take overdrive pedals well. You could try a Celestion speaker and it would likely get you closer to that sound, perhaps you can pick up one used in a larger city? If you really want the British sound, then a Vox AC15 or AC30 is going to do it beautifully. Don't know what their availability is down there though. Enjoy, the DRRI is a sweet amp.

7. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

[QUOTE = "telepraise, post: 8972854, miembro: 134921"] Tengo el P12Q en una reedición de reverb de lujo y no lo llamaría sonido británico. Es bastante limpio y es un altavoz de menor eficiencia, por lo que puede subir el volumen un poco más y se rompe antes que el altavoz de cerámica. Sigue siendo bastante ruidoso a las 4 y realmente comienza a dividirse alrededor de las 4 y 1/2, más allá de las 6 no se pone más fuerte, solo más sucio (eso dicen, nunca he tenido la mía cerca de eso) alto). Un guardabarros negro con 6V6s es realmente una máquina limpia por diseño, pero toma bien los pedales de sobremarcha. Puedes probar con un altavoz Celestion y es probable que te acerque más a ese sonido, ¿quizás puedas elegir uno usado en una ciudad más grande? Si realmente quieres el sonido británico, entonces un Vox AC15 o AC30 lo hará a la perfección. Don' Sin embargo, no sé cuál es su disponibilidad. Disfruta, el DRRI es un amplificador dulce. [/ QUOTE]

Thanks for the answer, well about the tone, I like the tone that comes from Johnny Marr, franz ferdinand, the kooks, I think you can get that tone with a deluxe, and a good drive pedal. hope the jensen p12q helps with that, for the moment i´m worried about the impedance... first, hope it works, then I hope it will sound better than the standard c12k, third... hope it last hehehe, I´ll let you know how it goes

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  8. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

The ck12k is one of the best speakers for the 65drri.

9. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You should be fine running the 16 ohm speaker in the DR. It will add quite a bit more harmonic distortion dominated by the 3rd harmonic which typically sounds more dissonant and "angry" than even order harmonics or as schmee says, "more gnarly".

10. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

Thank you guys for the answers, I decided to give it a try while waiting for a new matched speaker arrives (probably 3 months, in Bolivia customs services are really bad). I’ll try to récord something so you can listen the changes, and hope the amp will do Just fine with the mismatch impedance.

11. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

Its done! 1st thing i’ve noticed, volume drop, on 6 its already cranked and the volume I perceive its like 35% lower than before (maybe thats the impedance mismatch and the new speaker is 40 watts, before it was 100 watts).

Tonally I’m loving it, its nasty and very vintage sounding, kinda the black keys vibe, lots of new harmonics I didn’t perceive before....
    I tried it for 10 minutes, thats All I can Tell for the moment... once I get home, I’ll let you know!!

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  12. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The volume drop is mostly from the different speaker. A mismatch drop is pretty much imperceptible.

Silverface and Fercho like this.
  13. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

I have a c12k2 16 0hm in my drri plugged into a extension cab with a c12k2 16ohm. If I unplug the extension cab I get a volume drop running just one 16 ohm speaker. If I plug in a 1/4 jack with a 25w 16ohm resistor into the external speaker jack on the drri volume returns to normal.

14. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

hi guys!

to keep you updated, i've been playing for hours everyday, and I'm loving it, the vintage sound that comes from the new speaker is way closer to my expectations when I bought this amp. Its way glassier, more mid range, it has more highs too, but not harsh, for the indie rock tone I was looking for, this fits perfectly.

When I started this thread I wrote to jensen and fender asking what to expect from the situation, Jensen told me that all they can tell me is that the p12q was going to do alright but cannot say anything about the amp performance, and fender just reply saying to stick to an 8ohm coz the 16ohm will shorten "substantially" my valves life, and strain my transformer.

So as said before, I'll stick with this speaker for 3 months until the matched one arrives!
    I'll upload some audios in the next week! thank you all for the info you gave!

sorry for the english... :D

15. Fercho

Fercho TDPRI Member

Now I've been playing everyday and is just as you said, gnarly, but in a really good way, for the next months is all I can have until the new speaker arrives to my country, meanwhile I'm loving the sound!

robrob likes this.
  16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

This is assuming relatively equal sensitivity (the speaker's rating in db - sometimes termed efficiency) . IF both are 98db speakers the volume difference will barely be noticeable - in fact, it's doubtful you'll notice much other than the position of the volume control. Impedance alone isn't a "volume determinator."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.