1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

? about adjusting tele truss rod at the heel

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by darylcrisp, Sep 28, 2020.

1. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

needed to remove some neck relief and also clean pots and 3 way switch, so the pickguard was off. the only way I saw to adjust this TR was to remove the neck-which I did. I took some measurements before I removed string tension-then without string tension, so I kinda knew about where I wanted the neck to be. TR adjusted smooth and was fine after I reassembled everything. I have rarely ever had to readjust a truss rod since my instruments stay in my home and the humidity doesn't vary much year round.

I thought it might make sense to route out a small area so the TR could be adjusted later without removing, but that area would be right under the pickguard .

How do you you all do this on this style neck?

I have a picture i'll post but need to find it.

thanks
    d

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  2. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I recently bought an AVRI Strat with a heal adjust truss rod. A little research taught me a way to do it without removing the neck, strings or pickguard.

Loosen the strings as much as necessary. Back out the upper neck screws about 1/4" and the lower ones a little more, just enough to be able to tilt the neck back enough to access the truss rod screw.

That worked for me and I hope that helps.

Edit: The pickguard on my '62 reissue has a notch in it below the truss rod screw so that my change things for you.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    mojek, teleplayr and darylcrisp like this.
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mine has a notch already.

With the pickguard removed, and the use of a thing called a "Tele crank" I can adjust the truss rod without removing or loosening anything ( except the pickguard ).

darylcrisp likes this.
  4. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Someone posted in another thread a couple months ago that the paint can lid removal tool you can get for almost free at Home Depot works as a tele crank. Lo and behold, it does. I wish I had known before I bought my Stew Mac tele crank, but that tele crank is all kinds of awesome.

teleplayr and darylcrisp like this.
  5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The way Leo intended:

Remove neck (place a capo on the first fret to keep strings in place) ,adjust relief,put neck back on.

Easy peasy :)

Ricky D., Erdowonge and darylcrisp like this.
  6. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

that is neat. never thought of that. I have a couple of those around. would be easy to size the tip of the tool to work just right.

thank you
    d

7. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I will check into the tele crank. thank you!

8. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

if you remove your pickguard any time soon, take and post me a picture of the notch yours has. I'd like to see about how much Fender removed. I was going to remove minimal, just to get a tool there.
    thank you
    d

9. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

that would work for me also, pretty sure, over half of the adjustment end is exposed already, had not thought of that.

thank you
    d

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Screenshot_20200928-212856_Chrome.jpg no need to even size the tool if the nut is the old school Fender style nut that was in the heel-adjust. This dude fits plenty good as-is.

darylcrisp likes this.
  11. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

If you need to remove the neck to adjust the TR, maybe you shouldn't be messing with it.
    Always adjust TR with the neck on & strings tuned to pitch. Check relief with guitar in playing position; not laying flat on a bench.

12. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

I'm new to electrics, lots of new things/methods to be exposed too and learn.

Removed banjo necks for years that are heel adjust, only way to adjust the TR on those. There's 2 measurements on those to take. under tension, then off tension with a notched ruler, then you can adjust the removed neck and it will be where you want when reattached under tension.
    That's what I did and it worked fine. Figured there were some other ways folks were doing it and I appreciate the replies, and I've learned some new things.
    The paint lid tool is just too cool.

d

13. MarkA

MarkA Tele-Meister

What about these cool doodads? This one seems to have neck routing, but I’ve seen them replace the truss rod nut at the end and be accessible just with a small route to the body... I don’t need to adjust often either, but this just seems like an elegant solution. F20DDABA-61E4-40F8-A2F0-46BD200E9A28.jpeg

gregulator450 likes this.
  14. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Mark
    Excellent picture.
    Thank you for this suggestion. I've actually used this type of adjustment on some banjos I've built. Some folks wanted it. It worked fine.

I really doubt I'll need to adjust this neck again as I'm happy with the string gauge it came with. I have a bunch of acoustic instruments and I can't remember ever needing to adjust one after the initial setup.

I did want to see how other folks were handling this on this style tele neck.

Thanks again
    d

MarkA likes this.
  15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I'd rout the classic access channel if my guitar had that sort of body routing from the factory. Five minutes' work; problem solved.

16. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

That was my immediate thought soon as I removed the pickguard, and prob what I'll do if I ever need to adjust it again.
    Thank you
    d

17. darylcrisp

darylcrisp Tele-Meister

Speaking off that access channel, anyone have a pic , please post here if you do.

Has Fender put a rout channel in some models in the past?
    If so, did the pickguard have to be removed or was there a small cut out on the guard for access?

d

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Straight cut sides, about 1/2 inch wide, between neck pickup rout and neck pocket, right on the center line of the guitar, routed to the same depth as the neck pocket. It was the classic Tele/Esquire rout, well into the '70s, though I don't think all the way through. I'm not sure exactly what year it stopped (though it is still there on many "reissue" models).

Three ply guards had notches, but not one ply. But the bevel angle for the cut (on the whole guard, not just the notch) changed around '68 or so, to 45 degrees. It was a shallower angle before that (though not always; it was sometimes 45 degrees even on early multi-ply guards IME).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
    darylcrisp likes this.
  19. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I just take the neck off and adjust the things as required.

20. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I found this -

upload_2020-9-29_5-32-33.png

Nothing wrong with using a paint-can opener, but I "splurged" and got the Crank. I actually use both tools for their intended purposes - I keep the Crank in the guitar case and the paint-can opener with my painting supplies. The Crank has a diagonal blade on one end, which is fancy :)

upload_2020-9-29_5-37-57.png

baiff and darylcrisp like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.