Abnormal Hammond 290AX PT?

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
I’m very familiar with this transformer as I’ve used it quite a bit in the past. Imagine my surprise when I go to install it and notice that the wires are coming out of the wrong holes…

494014FE-0782-4066-BF44-F28A25B5F1A6.jpeg

Yep, instead of matched pairs (GRN filaments, RED 325V and RED/WHI 275V secondary’s) coming out of the same holes, they are split, one out of each opposite hole.

I really wanted to make some progress on this build today, so …

1. Should I take the bell cover off and just reroute them to the correct holes?

2. Shelf the build for now and await a
replacement transformer?

3. Do you think if I take the bell cover off it might void the Hammond warranty?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
What a drag. That's nasty. Just so wrong. Maybe their crack quality control team was confused by all the black overspray on the wires…

ahiddentableau

Tele-Holic
By coincidence I just bought the very same transformer for my current build. So I checked mine. It isn't done like yours; mine is done the old fashioned way.

Very odd. Maybe a new employee who doesn't know the ropes yet or something.

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
I would verify the voltages across the wire pairs. You never know- they may have used the wrong wires on the various sections. More likely it can be fixed by removing the bell cover. I also suggest that you email Hammond about this.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
I would verify the voltages across the wire pairs. You never know- they may have used the wrong wires on the various sections. More likely it can be fixed by removing the bell cover. I also suggest that you email Hammond about this.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I was worried about – wrong wires on wrong sections. I have had a couple other situations with Hammond transformers and their customer service has been very good, so yes I will be contacting them. In the meantime I just went ahead and ordered another one.

wangdaning

Tele-Meister
I would check if the numbers add up correctly. If the wires are routed wrong they might have been wound wrong as well. I do not think they would know if you removed the bell cover unless you cause some damage doing it.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
For those who might be following along or discovery this thread later, here is the response I received from Hammond….

James,

The misconception here is Hammond doesNOT designate a proper hole the leads come out.

There are a few factors during manufacturing that determine what side production brings the lead out. But it’s definitely not primary one side and secondary the other side. Just follow the color coding on the lead .

Do not open it up, doing so will void any warranty. Besides I doubt there is any way to sneak the wire safely to the other side.

Regards,
Mark Mercer|Hammond Mfg. Co. Inc.”

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I would remove the bell cover and if there is room so that possibly crossing wires don't get squished too bad route them more logically. There might be paper washers between bolt/nut and end bell and between bell and EI core.

James Knox

Tele-Afflicted
I replied back to Hammond customer service advising that their own spec sheet for the 290AX showed the proper wires coming out of the proper holes. Here’s the spec sheet…

816E2B19-2515-4953-852B-991ED9EDAE6B.jpeg

The Hammond customer service rep replied with this:

That is the confusing part. I have pushed for proper drawings but they won’t do it. We probably should have at least noted that the drawing wire location may be different from actual view.

Problem is I get two complaints a year, they won’t devote the time to update all the drawings.

Sorry for the honesty

NTC

Tele-Afflicted
Now, let's hope you don't need to make a warranty return...

gusfinley

Tele-Afflicted
Perhaps the person routing the wires through the end bells was color blind? (lots of color blind folks where I work).

That's a lousy response from customer service.

I would have fixed it myself, too.

Stevo Bambino

TDPRI Member
My 290AX was the same way. I saw it and thought to myself "well that ain't right" and I don't even know what happened, but five minutes later it was right, as if by magic.