1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ability vs. Experience

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Danomo, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

Have you ever played with someone, who's ability is so far above your own, that you're actually embarrassed?

This is the case with my son-in-law, every time we would play together, he knew so many more songs than I did... Even from my own generation.

Then one day, we were talking about the Beatles song ''It's only love', being a big John fan, I have the rhythm guitar for the song memorized. I proceeded to play it, and he just stared at me like I was crazy. When the song was over, he said to me: "That didn't sound quite right?!", to which I replied: "That was John's part, here's Georges part." ( and proceeded to play it ). He didn't know I had the advantage, of owning the Beatles complete collection, with the tabs, and full music notation, as it was played. I was quite surprised, in this Internet generation, that he didn't know that the Beatles split guitar in as many parts as they needed to get the sound they wanted ( especially surprising, because he had such a good ear).
    After showing him, "it's only love", I also showed him "no reply", and " please please me". This kid who is half my age, and has twice my ability, now has massive respect for me. It's changed the whole dynamic of when we play together. He really listens, and it's really eased the tension over who is better (I've admitted from the start, that he's a better player than me ).

Respect comes from the most surprising corners of your life . Take it when you can get it

2. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Doctor of Teleocity

I also dig that it came from both John & George's ghost notes, still alive & kicking!!

3. Red Square

Red Square Friend of Leo's

I dig that you know those songs!
    But the fact that there is "tension over who is better", is pretty messed up on several levels...

4. Frank'n'censed

No doubt about it, especially when the ego(s) gets involved...

5. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Bbbbb......but...how...do you separate the ego from a guitar player? It's not possible is it?:twisted:

6. gypsy jim

gypsy jim Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, everyone I've ever played with. It doesn't take much!

7. Frank'n'censed

A frontal lobotomy...Yet so many other musicians, seem to keep it in line with their respective, instruments of choice...must the electric guitar, gun slinger, thing or maybe it's bad dope?

8. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

For me it was not ability vs. experience, it was ability vs. attitude.

I always strove to play with better musicians than myself. I tried to make sure my preparation, attitude and level of effort made it possible for them to want to have me in the group. It meant I played bass in the best groups i ever played in.

9. Skub

Skub Poster Extraordinaire

Maybe I'm odd,but I love playing with people who are way ahead of me,or those playing totally different styles,that's when you get a crash course in new stuff to steal!

10. Frank'n'censed

Not discounting work ethic & abilities, but attitude is foremost...it's served you well. Do you consider your self a bassist or guitarist, 1st?

11. GeorgiaHonk

GeorgiaHonk Tele-Holic

I get that all the time. In my case, I've spent so much trying to play a little of everything that I'm not exceptional at anything.

A few years ago I met a fantastic guitarist and we jammed a few times. He could play circles around me, and knew dozens of classic and hard rock solos note-for-note. But one afternoon I picked up an acoustic and was mindlessly fingerpicking some James Taylor tune while my friend busied himself with something else. When I finished he said, "One of these days I want you to teach me how to do that." I couldn't believe that a player at his level could possibly learn anything from me. But it sure made my head swell.

12. Danomo

Danomo Tele-Holic

The tension was mostly on his part, he didn't know I'd heard a bunch of his stuff on sound cloud (he runs a college recording studio, and during down time records songs (all the parts) and posts them) before we played together the first time. I knew from the start he was better, but he was trying to tone it down. He's a giant Neil Young fan, and at a party two years ago, he was amazing playing/singing him (some of my relatives are big NY fans, me, not so much). I let him run with it after playing 'Hey Hey, My My' with him. He thought I was mad because a buddy joked with me, "Hey, how come you don't play Neil Young?" and I didn't really respond (reason being; you don't say you don't care for Neil Young when someone has just played a block of him excellently for almost an hour). I know the Mrs was happy I was socializing instead of playing, I didn't think much of it at the time. The original post situation happened back last December, and we have no such issues anymore.

Actually laughed out loud.

Not sure if this was for me or paratus, but it applies.
    Since I started on bass, I have to go with that. Over the years I've been told on separate occasions that I play guitar like a bass player (steady rythym), which I usually take as a compliment. I started playing guitar because I couldn't/can't sing many songs while playing bass. On my own, I prefer to play guitar/sing, in a group setting… I'm probably better off playing bass.
    I had a blast doing both last Saturday for two sets with a full band the first time in decades, I've got to get back in the game.

13. Frank'n'censed

Sorry for any miscommunication...thanks for your response. Bass is an incredible instrument, so often taken for granted & ironically, by many musicians, themselves. You're totally right about taking "steady rhythm" as a compliment. I'm no hell, but love playing bass...fretless can be a very liberating & inspiring way to create grooves & beyond.

14. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Definitely a bassist, although these days I practice bass only the bare minimum to keep my chops up. I spend much more time on guitar and keys.

15. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Sure, lots of times over the years I have played with others that just floored me. I prefer to think of it as inspiring not embarrassing.

I've been in a band that has two guitar players for the last three years. I haven't done that in a long time. The other guy is 25 years my junior, and we have both improved greatly from the experience. We like to take turns impressing each other, and we always have a fun time at practice and gigs.

16. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

I enjoy playing along side of better players, I try yo learn as much as I can from them... and, on occasion notice that I have a skill or two that they don't.

17. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've been on both sides of that interaction more times than I can count. The guitar is a deep instrument. Everybody has something more to learn about it; to master it completely would take more time on earth than most of us will have.

18. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

I played for years with a lead player who was truly gifted. Could hear something once and play the whole song perfectly 30 seconds later, note for note with every nuance, etc. I was never embarrassed by him, but it was intimidating for sure. It made me not want to try anything outside of my normal parts. But then I'd occasionally throw some tiny little thing into a tune we were doing, and he'd jump right on it: "hey, that was cool. How'd you come up with that?" And he wasn't pandering; he meant it. I was always surprised by it, but eventually I just came to the conclusion that he and I just heard music differently; he was a stickler for detail (was he ever!), and I was much more inclined to embellish things.

19. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

No matter what experience level anyone is at, if they put some time into wood shedding, they have a few tricks up the sleeve.
    We all learn the same song differently, if that makes any sense.

20. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boiling them for a couple of hours usually does the trick.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.