Abdominal hernia questions

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Has anyone had this surgery? After a liver transplant it can’t be that bad. Long story short. After the transplant I was laid up in bed. Favored activity at that time was watching comedies snd laughing myself silly. I’ve had the bulge from day one since that surgery. Let’s say I’m reluctant to go through that again. What do they do to repair this tissue and how long are you out for the count?

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
In my old man's case they did something like the below. It's been 30 years though and the first one didn't actually take or he re-strained it.

He was up and around within a day or two (age 40-45) but obviously things like sitting up and leaning over have to be carefully managed. Seems like the secondary/full recovery was 8-10 weeks or so.

1656267348496.png

VWAmTele

Friend of Leo's
I had an inguinal hernia operation two years ago. The surgery itself is not complicated, but the recovery is tough. Count on two weeks of pain and then a few more being sore.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I don't pretend to understand the rules here, but I can tell you that I've had my hand slapped for discussing medical issues. So yeah, be careful

Good luck

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
It depends a lot on the severity of the tears, and whether or not you can have laparoscopic surgery which is much less invasive. .

A coworker of mine had it done lappy, and although sore and moving slowly, he was back at work within a week.

I put mine off too long, and had to have open incisions. They weren't much, but the bruising of my torso was horrendous. I was off work seven weeks, and could barely move for the first ten days or so. But don't be overly alarmed; my surgeon said mine were some of the worst hernias he'd ever seen. I had five tears in three different places. Overachiever, I guess lol.

sudogeek

Tele-Holic
Reading between the lines, it sounds like you have an incisional hernia (at the site of the subcostal incision from surgery) as opposed to an umbilical (belly button) hernia or an inguinal (groin) hernia. There are other types of herniae - femoral, spigelian, and so on. The surgical approach varies. Consult your surgeon.

Signed, some dude on the interwebz

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
Has anyone had this surgery? After a liver transplant it can’t be that bad. Long story short. After the transplant I was laid up in bed. Favored activity at that time was watching comedies snd laughing myself silly. I’ve had the bulge from day one since that surgery. Let’s say I’m reluctant to go through that again. What do they do to repair this tissue and how long are you out for the count?
Depends on which one in the abdomen?
Down low I had it repaired on both sides. laid up 2-3 days, a week to return to work.
Or is yours near the belly button?

King Fan

Poster Extraordinaire
Ad Free Member
Sudogeek is right, there are a *lot* of types/ locations of hernia. Even if incisional, as is likely post-op, degree of difficulty for you and them can vary a lot with size, layers. I suspect 95% of the experiences you may collect will be about other hernia types — where severity also affects results. And then there’s your liver function, blood clotting, wound healing, layers involved, and other individual variables. Your surgeon isn’t likely motivated to push you too hard in the wrong direction…

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
If you’re talking about a laparoscopic umbilical hernia repair, I’ve had it done and it’s no big deal. I had it done as outpatient - went to hospital at 6 am and was home by about 1 pm.

Only real pain afterward was when sitting up/laying down. Which makes sense because they’ve messed around with the muscles in your abdomen.

Stringbanger

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had mine done laparoscopically in November. I was off work for a week. They gave me oxycodone for the pain. I recommend taking whatever pain meds they give you. Don’t try to be a tough guy.

The first 3 days were pretty painful. Coughing hurt like hail. Definitely anticipate being blocked up. I took a stool softener, and I still had trouble with that first bowel movement. That was very painful.

I’m glad I finally got it done. Now I can lift more than 30 pounds. I have no lifting restrictions at this point.

Doctor of Teleocity
I had umbilical hernia surgery when I was a full time musician, had to take 6 weeks off from gigging, if I remember correctly.

Open incision, mesh. First couple of days are the hardest. Had to sleep and lay on my back with pillows under my arms.

A guy told me to start taking stool softener and fiber beforehand and just wait it out. The anesthesia delays going to the bathroom and you don’t want to strain at all, so that helped.

Rolling into and out of any movement is important, say, if you need to get up or grab something. Can’t lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for a while, as per doc.

Have someone there to take care of you for at least a couple days, and stuff reachable near your bedside.

It takes a couple days or more to go number two, so that is the scariest part. If you keep taking the stool softener and the psyllium husk fiber, it will happen, and all you gotta do is not strain.

Due to the mesh and open incision, for a good while, it felt like I had a sharp, flat piece of metal in the shape of a square, under my belly button, especially if I laid on my stomach.

I was an athlete, and pushed my body to the ultimate limit onstage as an entertainer. At various times of my adult life I studied peak performance, and was doing up to 2000 crunches a day. Hereditary weakness in the abdominal wall gave way one night when our band was practicing. I was belting a Charlie Rich song and my insides came out of my belly button. So I pushed them back in, and then they popped right back out. I asked the other guys if that ever happened to them and they said “No,” haha. I had to still make my living and do shows for the next month wearing tight ace bandages and pushing my insides back in after every song.

The financial strain of taking six weeks off was tough, as music was my only income. The human body is resilient, but it is nothing without a strong mind. I don’t even think about it anymore.

Actually I have a couple inguinal hernias that I’ve just lived with for years, haven’t had time to even check them out.

You want to watch out for abdominal hernias, however, because intestinal strangulation can end with a very bad day if you don’t get it patched up.

Good luck, and never miss an opportunity to pull a practical joke on an anesthesiologist, haha.

ETA: Op has gone through liver transplant, missed that on first reading, this will likely be a walk in the park in comparison to that.

Last edited:

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Yep, both sides. The first came about as the result of having a drummer who slowed down on every number and constantly put the back beat on the on beat. I stamped my right foot for about two hours every Friday at rehearsals and one night I actually felt something give! Second one came along a couple of years later. Second time around I wasn’t even kept in overnight. No op. is without risk or discomfort but a hernia is just sooooo routine. Best advice is to sack your drummer…………………….well, possibly😄😄😄

Mechanic

Friend of Leo's
Well further explanation is needed I guessing.
The hernia is in the upper right quadrant, above the origanal Mercedes scar and to the right of the upper spoke of the scar. It’s not the intestines picking out but the liver. If I lay down flat on my back it goes away back into the abdominal cavity. As far as pain meds go I do enjoy them too much for my liking. I’ve been recommended cannabis for other issues I have but hate that stoned feeling to help my appetite. I’m just not up to being in bed for a few weeks. But that what probably put me in this situation.
(Sigh)
Thanks for all the comments, and letting me cry on your shoulders. Great group here.
Have a great day

puddin

Tele-Afflicted
I had a open incisional hernia repair on the 14th. I get my staples out tomorrow, but I think the drain tube will stay in, for another week. For me, it was very painful. Almost as painful as my resection surgery, last August. I won’t be slinging a guitar around for awhile, but I’m on the mend.

bgmacaw

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a relatively minor abdominal hernia that I've been putting off surgery on since 2019 because of work and "other reasons". Fortunately, it hasn't gotten worse.