ABD?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Jun 16, 2021.

Tags:

Should I

1. Follow Brookdale Bill’ example

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Do as Toto’s Dad does

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Keep on keep in’ on

19 vote(s)
    79.2%
  4. Crawl under a rock

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

ABD?
    All but dissertation, in academic parliance. 5000 posts got me promoted to Poster Extraordinaire. Doctor of Teleosity takes 10K. I’ve been here four years now. I’m averaging 6 posts/day these days. Dissertations run a few hundred pages. 5000 posts will fill at least that many. I’m looking at three more years unless I “cheat” and take @brookdalebill ’s approach and reply to every new member and then some. Maybe I can follow @Toto'sDad ’s example and start five threads a day and respond to the more well written posts in them. Or I can just keep doing what I do now. Your input, as always, is encouraged and welcome. You can also tell me I’m nuts to care about this and crawl back under my rock.

2. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I had no idea post counts got you new titles. Congratulations. always good to have goals I guess.:cry:

JL_LI likes this.
  3. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I didn't know either. Hah, titles are silly.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

Yeah but what do you know? You're only tele afflicted. I'm a friend of Leo's (whatever that means) :lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  5. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I am curious to see if @brookdalebill will get a new title at 100,000 posts. I forget what posts get you what - there used to be a page here that told you, but I think it was removed at the last server rehousing.

Keep on keepin' on. I go through spurts here - very little posting for a few weeks, then I go on a tear for a while. I think I have posted more here than I have spoken out loud my whole life.

JL_LI and ReverendRevolver like this.
  6. unixfish

unixfish != "Doctor of Telocity". It just doesn't make sense to me. Maybe a "Doctor of Dumbassity" would be a better title for me.

7. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

I’m not a doctor. But I play one on the internet. ;)

8. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I only notice the "member" and "ad free" designations. I assume the former is new and the latter is invested. Most others are the 50ish people I interact with many days a week, and couldn't tell you what means what, but get briefly confused when an avatar changes.

I post because I can't seem to shut up about guitar stuff and hope to gain more information to continually not shut up about. I also occasionally summon @blowtorch by mentioning the Beatles or triangular pizza, but I think hes off TDPRI again.

Isn't chasing a title boring compared to the part where you interact with people?

Yonatan and JL_LI like this.
  9. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't know it was a thing to want to have such a goal. I'm ashamed of the amount of time I waste on TDPRI.

EDIT: I just looked at my avatar - says 5040, Poster Extraordinaire. That could have happened today for all I know.

OMG the shame of it all. :oops:

JL_LI likes this.
  10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I had a cat named Leo but no man has ever been a friend of mine with the name. Another lie from the internets!!!

JL_LI and unixfish like this.
  11. unixfish

I just post for the residual checks for adding to the forum content. That second income is really nice! :lol::lol::lol:

12. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

That's funny, I have cat named Leo right now. I think I'll quit posting, I prefer friend of Leo to poster extraordinaire

upload_2021-6-16_12-29-47.jpeg upload_2021-6-16_12-30-7.jpeg

13. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Or you can take a different tack. Consider the acronym to be "Already Been Done," and not worry about your post count and/or arbitrary titles, and just go play yer tele. :twisted:

In your poll, I didn't know whether my reply would fit in the "Keep on keepin' on" category or "Crawl under a rock," so I didn't vote.

JL_LI likes this.
  14. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I’ve a feeling the quality of the posts count, not had ‘promotion’ for ages, plenty of posts. They need a new title ‘Master of Crap’ or some such.

JL_LI likes this.
  15. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Oops! :oops:

JL_LI likes this.
  16. rdjones

rdjones Tele-Meister

quantity ≠ quality

You've got a decent like-to-post ratio going.
    Best to keep going in that direction, rather than snipe, snark and babble at every rube that stumbles along.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  17. Elliot_G

Elliot_G Tele-Meister

Dude with PhD here; yes, but it has to be a hundred or more pages that you can get past your advisor's nitpicking!

And some dissertations are stunningly short. You know John Nash, the guy A Beautiful Mind is about? His dissertation was 28 pages, and in some cases there have been shorter ones. It's usually mathematicians who can get away with that sort of thing.

JL_LI likes this.
  18. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

Hi Doc,
    I’m retired now. The field I retired from, bioengineering, didn’t exist as a formal discipline when I started doing it. I feel like Wolowitz. I know a lot of doctors. I remember telling Herb Lipowsky when he started the bioengineering program at Penn State that I couldn’t take the loss of income and disruption to my new family to go back to school. He said, “So send me your son.” I did, for two summer internships. No one knows how things could have turned out had I gone back to school but my life turned out pretty well working in industry rather than academia. But I can’t help thinking sometimes, what if?

P Thought and Elliot_G like this.
  19. Elliot_G

Elliot_G Tele-Meister

We academic nerds wonder plenty about how things would have gone if we'd gone into the private sector too. Wherever you've got decisions, you've got people wondering about the road not taken!

JL_LI likes this.
  20. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

If I was a Duke in real life, I'd make everyone call me Duke.

not sure about Viceroy though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.