1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

ABCDEFG

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Red Planet, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

2. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

...Now I'm jonesin' for some "Kenmore" 6V6's baby :lol: .

3. silentkid

silentkid Tele-Meister

The internal construction of the Groove tubes Mullard looks identical to the old ones. I've never heard one, so I can't comment on the sound. They're pushing it with the Tung Sol, on the other hand, which appears to have nothing whatsoever in common with the original 12AX7 (at least the ones I've got). Nice boxes, though.

Every Reflektor product I've ever tried has just gone "pop" and died instantly, regardless of what name was printed on the glass.

I'm using JJ ECC83S and 6V6S now and, I don't know if I just got lucky with the match between the JJs and my amp, but I can scarcely believe how good they are. Ridiculous clarity, depth and VOLUME, not to mention a super tight low end. Really rugged, too. It's nice to be able to save my modest NOS stash for recording purposes. Truth be told, though, there really isn't that much of a difference. It has to be said that at something like $8.00 those JJ ECC83S reign supreme.

In general, I'd rather be supporting a living tube industry than lining the pockets of NOS dealers.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

5. Tim Swartz

Tim Swartz Friend of Leo's

As Tremo pointed out Richardson also owns some brand names, they've had the Amperex Bugle Boy name for about 10 years. I wouldn't not be surprised if the marketting genius at NS got this idea from Richardson. It is only a little misleading as the savy consumers will do their homework and know exactly what they are purchasing. I'd have to regard those of us geeky enough to hang out on these boards as having a certain savy when it comes to buying tubes. This is just capitalism at its finest, and I for one am more than OK with it. Caveat emptor

6. Tremo

Tremo Banned

I may be wrong, but I think Richardson was selling Chinese 12AX7s under the Bugle Boy name. BARF!!!!

:twisted:

7. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Absolutely. I've been pounding a pair for some time now and they just keep hanging in there and sound great.

8. migra dude

migra dude Tele-Meister

The re-labeling thing bugs me too...

But I'm getting over it. The whole made in USA on the GT "GE's" really bugs me. Then again, maybe it pisses of Koreans that Hyundais are being put together in Birmingham.

I just hope they keep making tubes somewhere.

The JJ6V6S really does kick a$$. I've had a pair in my Allen V-18 since I bought it 1 1/2 years ago. Virtually no drift on the bias readings...great sound. I've put quite a few hours on that amp at band volume.

I like the Chinese made TAD 6L6WGC's in my Old Flame. Really haven't put a whole lot of time on them, but very closely matched and absolutely zero drift so far. I love the sound of these.

Competition is a good thing!! Now... if it only existed in the oil industry.

9. Tim Swartz

Probably, just like NS sells Russian tubes as Mullard and Tungsol.

10. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

It is happening with audio equipment now too. Fisher, Sansui, Harmon-Kardon, Advent, etc. all used to be brand names of good equipment. Now, they are names slapped onto cheap junk that is made in China.

It's all designed to cash in on previous reputation. When consumers get wise to it, they just kill the brand name again and move on to another.

Jim

11. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

Re: who? what? where?

ABCDEFG

12. RussBert

RussBert Tele-Holic

agenda's

Please don't tell me (Us) what to do, based on your delusions!

This entire thread has no real purpose, other than to further your personal crusade against a few tube retailers and the products they supply. I guess you didn't get the hint from TGP.

Sovtek doesn't make any products BTW, they are a brand name.

13. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

14. Tim Swartz

What about Groove Tube or Ruby? They paint their name on other brand tubes, is this also bad?

15. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

16. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

17. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Please don't tell me those new production WE types will be "exclusive to Boob Toobz". I heard that jerk tried to get the JJ 6V6 as an exclusive. Friggin wannabe monopoly.

18. Tim Swartz

The company that makes the "Western Electric" 300B is actually made by a company called Westrex, they bought the name Western Electric.

So this isn't the same thing?

FWIW, the 300Bs are about $900 per pair and they've been talking about a KT88 for about 5 years now.

19. Red Planet

Red Planet Tele-Meister

ABCDEFG

20. Tim Swartz

Who is shipping the KT88s? They've been rumoured for years, but no one seems to be able to obtain any... And I know a few people that want them... and would probably even pay the $800 per pair.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.