1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

AB pedal recommendations

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Petespaeth, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Petespaeth

Petespaeth TDPRI Member

I'm not sure if I fully understand an AB pedal but this is what I'm hoping to do. I want to be able to leave on multiple distortion pedals in one loop and also have an extra amp kick on. Then I would have a clean signal with just compression on. I usually use my delay pedal with my swollen pickle for leads, but would I still be able to use it clean if i kept it in my dirty signal?

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss TU-2 or TU-3 can do this. Gtr goes into the tuner. Tuner 'bypass ' goes to compressor then clean amp. Tuner 'output' goes to the distortion pedals then delay then output.

To have the delay pedal also in the clean signal would complicate the wiring a bit. If you want to do it all in one switch... How about a small delay for the cleans like the Mooer Ana echo?

3. xmugmugmugx

xmugmugmugx Tele-Meister

That sounds like two pedals. A loop for your dirt boxes and an a/b switch for amps. BYOC has an a/b looper with a bypass switch. You would put swollen pickle on loop a, and other dirt box on b. One switch goes between a and b, the other is a bypass to skip both a and b. Then you would put your delay, then an a/b box that chooses either a or b going to your respective amps.

4. Mark*123

Mark*123 TDPRI Member

Boss LS-2 maybe?

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

^that's what i use for multiple amps. works really well.

like waparker4 said, having a delay for both channels makes it a little trickier. you could put it before the tuner pedal... but then you'd have to hit two things to go from a non-delayed clean to a delayed distortion. could be worse. then again, there are a ton of really nice delay pedals that can be had under $30 if you keep your eye open. might be time for a second

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm thinking 2 pedals, Boss AB-2 and another delay, but I'm assuming that you want one foot tap:

If my assumption is correct, use an inexpensive Boss AB-2 and two delay pedals:

Guitar>AB-2>DS>DS>DS>DS>delay#1>Amp #1
    or
    Guitar>AB-2>delay#2>Amp#2

Plus it would be fun having two delay pedals.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

To be clear, with the Boss TU2 method you'd have the cleans always going thru the first amp and the overdrive going thru the second amp so your overdrive sound would actually be a clean dirty amp mix (which sounds great). But if you want the dirt going thru both amps you will need something fancier I think... An A/B loop selector pedal that also adds on an extra output. I'd still think about getting an extra delay pedal for the cleans to avoid having the extra patch cables, extra jacks and an extra complex switch to make that work...

8. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

Check out Radial Engineering Big Shot switches, the I/O, EFX & ABY.

9. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

10. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Call Tony at StarTouch pedals. Tell him what you want and he'll see if he can build one for you. Great quality at a fair price.

11. Petespaeth

Petespaeth TDPRI Member

To be honest I forgot I posted this thread, but here's what I was able to come up with. Still thanks for all the suggestions. I was able to find a Radical Loopbone for $80 used (usually 260). Granted the delay won't be coming out of the bass amp (although the tuner Idea, as some one suggested, may work. I need to check where the tuner function comes into play with the loops)
    Here's the loop bone. http://www.tonebone.com/loopbone.php

*Edit the tuner function comes in before both loops, so it's a no go. I could take the delay pedal out of the effects loop, run a cable from the stereo function of the pedal, and connect a Y splitter to the bass amp input though.

Attached Files:

12. akukulich

akukulich Tele-Meister

+1. Tony is great to work with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.