Aaaaargh twisted the bejesus out of my ankle today!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boil, May 25, 2019.

1. Boil

Boil Tele-Holic

Aaaarrrrgh, stepped back from putting a ladder up to see if it was vertical enough to use and rolled my ankle over in a depression in the lawn!

Thought I had broken it but it's just really sore thank God it's not my stomping foot.

uriah1 and 24 track like this.
  2. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

It’s only one.

It’s not like you have to deal with hordes of heathen ankles.

TokyoPortrait and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sorry man.
    I’ve sprained both of mine, very badly, though not in awhile.
    Rest up.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Ice it brother, ice it!

5. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I've sprained both and broken one at least twice :oops:. Back in '82, I stepped wrong off a step stool getting a room ready for a baby and it hurt bad enough that my wife took me to the ER. The radiologist asked me when the last time I broke it was. It must have been in college. I couldn't be sure. But there was enough stuff available for pain on campus that I didn't have to bother with a doctor. o_O :D

Recce likes this.
  6. Alter

Alter Tele-Meister

If serious go to a doctor or a massage therapist. Proper treatment can make a big difference in how good and fast it will heal.

Deeve likes this.
  7. Deeve

Deeve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Early restorative care, even if it's just
    Rest
    Ice
    Compression
    Elevation
    can make a difference.
    A 30plus years ago twist during a park league ball game torments me to this day.
    Peace - Deeve

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  8. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

elevate and Ice immediately , stay offof it for a while , ( this is part of my daily routine after my surgery to keep the swelling down ) look for any bruising or discoloration, get an Xray if pain persists, do not bind your foot,

rest up and have a cold beer !

sorry to hear about that , take care of yourself!

OH Yeah take tommorrow off!:D:D:D:D

Stubee likes this.
  9. galaxiex

galaxiex Tele-Afflicted

A bad sprain is worse than just breaking the damn thing.

I had a bad sprain when I was young and healed fast. 10 years old.

I was on crutches for 4 months.

10. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Years ago when I played softball I borrowed my BIL’s spikes because the outfield was wet. He said “whatever you do, don’t slide” and I replied that was no problem as I slid once in a blue moon.

So I got a pretty good hit, completely forgot his instructions and stretched it into a sliding double. I bent my sliding foot back on the bag nearly straight to my shin and the pain was so intense the other players said my face turned white. I was safe BTW but that was my last softball game for a very long time.

I saw a doctor who taped it into a ‘walking cast’ and put me on crutches for three weeks, a serious bummer as I was starting my summer vacation at my trout camp. I told the doctor some friends had said I’d be better off with a break because it would be a ‘clean fix’. The doc looked at me like I was crazy and said “your friends are wrong! You’d have far more damage with a break!” and having seen a few friends get breaks since I believe he was right.

I hope yours heals fast!

11. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

I was out hiking my dog and stepped on some uneven ground. My ankle twisted to the side and I dropped like a rock. I managed to walk out from where I was (limped out rather). Ice and elevation seemed to make the foot worse. I would go from limping around on it to not being able to walk after it had ice and elevation for 20 minutes. But I am sure in the long run it is a good thing to do.
    After a few days the bruising showed up. It took almost 3 months to get back to 90% normal, and then I went and tore on it again with a fall cross-country skiing.
    Luckily after a couple weeks from that I returned to where I was (90%). Now almost 6 months form the original injury I am brave enough to kick a soccer ball with that foot.
    I still suspect that it wouldn't take too much to injure it again so I try and be careful.

Point of the story? Get some rest, be careful and give yourself time to heal! Joints don't get much blood flow and as a result they take A LOOOONG TIME to heal.

12. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

All the best for swift healing. I've had ankle and foot issues since last October and it just totally sucks.

13. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I feel for you bro! During my heavy equipment hauling days, something was always sprained somewhere on my body. I had ankle braces, knee braces, elbow braces, and a rib cage brace kept at the ready all of the time. One time I turned an ankle very badly, it swelled up something fierce, but I had a big dozer to move. A guy working where I did said I can fix you right up! He said take your shoe and sock off, and wash your foot and rinse it good. I did the best I could with the water from my Gott, then he gave me some DMSO to put on my foot, and it still looked really bad, but I could walk on it again right away. I paid for it later though, the next day my foot looked like it belonged on a Clydesdale. All's well that ends well though, I got over it, and lived to tell the tale.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

BTW, when I used the DMSO on my foot, my mouth tasted like I had eaten a whole clove of garlic. I don't know what that stuff is but it worked a miracle on my foot. I laced my Wolverines back up good and tight, and made the rest of the day. Next day I had that baby taped up good, and I still made it. When I hauled heavy equipment there were NO excuses for not taking a load, unless two doctors agreed on pronouncing you dead! It amazes me the excuses people use to miss a days work now, in my day, you missed work, even with a good excuse, you would most likely be looking for a job.

15. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

In the weeks and months after having sprained my ankle, I was often amazed to realize just how complex a system the ankle is. Just walking on a slightly tilted or off camber surface would induce pain. I realized that up till that point I had never considered all the work that the ankle does. Sure, it allows you to walk. But I came to appreciate how complex a job that really is.

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have not twisted my ankle since skiing in my twenties. Rest up, elevate and ice that ankle.

17. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My only 2 mutant super powers are my ankles and that I can vibrate my ear drums at will. I have rolled them bad enough that the witnesses saw the soles of my shoes yet never injured. As a letter carrier, I constantly step into gopher holes, miss a step off a porch, or trip over kids bikes left on the lawn and yet never injured. The worst encounter was while chasing an escaping inmate at the Prison I used to work at, jumped down a flight of steps landing on the side of my foot and folding it over so badly that the guy behind me got sick....not even sore.

I attribute it to 30 years of marathon training, but I might just be a mutant as well. I only wish the rest of my body was so durable.

My non-professional advice is to soak it for about 30 minutes in a warm water and epsom salt solution (strong concentration). I find so many uses for epsom salt soaks that it is scary. Seems to help just about every condition.

24 track likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.