A3 bridge pickup in 60s tele, anyone?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by fender4life, Jun 13, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Talking about bridge only. Just wondering because alder/RW sounds so different from ash/maple and i don't see a lot of guys talking about A3 in 60s teles. I never have tried it (have in 50s, just not 60s) but i'm curious if they don't match well or why i don't see it a lot. So anyone have any thoughts on how A3 pickups go with a 60s type? And yes, i know certain people say mag type means nothing. Please lets not go there, i've heard it all b4 and have my own opinions on it.

Maguchi likes this.
  2. hamerfan

hamerfan Tele-Meister

It depends on your style and perception. A3 have bit lower volume, less stingy highs and more low mids. If you want to mellow your tone, play with lower attack then this might be the ticket.

Maguchi likes this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried Fender OV and Don Mare Hot Bakelite for A3 bridge pickups, but ash/ rosewood, not alder/ rosewood.

Too warm & mellow for me.

Maguchi likes this.
  4. fender4life

I don't recall them sounding warm and mellow in the 50s teles i tried them in, but then that was years ago and i certainly don't want that from any tele i have now. Maybe good for very bright ones i suppose.

5. Gris

Gris Tele-Meister

I have Lollar A3 in my ‘60s clone. It’s a lower wind, 7.x - def uber clear.

6. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I am not sure of the magnets in the 62 reissue fender pickups but they sound good to me

jondanger likes this.
  7. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pretty sure they are mostly A3 but have seen some say that they have seen them listed as A2. The downside of crowdsourcing from a bunch of musicians.

8. fender4life

No, it's not crowdsourcing, it's manufacturer sourcing from fender.com where they are spec'd as A2. Or at least were, don't think they list them now being discontinued. I have 2 of them.

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I don't think that anyone who knows how pickups work will tell you that mag type means nothing. A3 has a lot less magnetic strength, and that alone will change the way a pickup works.

It certainly has a consistently perceptible and provable effect, unlike the debate around alder/ash, or maple/rosewood.

As for whether you can put a A3 bridge pickup into a 60s style tele, I'm afraid the answer is no.
    50s and 60s teles each have their own patron deity; if you start mixing elements of the guitars, these deities fall into conflict and the guitar will catch fire.

(More seriously though, I have a Klein A3 pickup with about 7.7k of 42awg. It sounds great).

10. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The problem is that there is no official info on the Fender site now, and there are other retailers that list them as A3. So we are relying on people’s memory of what they saw a few years ago on the internet. There is also a pretty good chance that Fender switched the magnets at some point. There are a ton of threads on here about those pickups, and no consensus about which magnet was used. All we can agree on is that it’s not A5.

11. fender4life

They may have, but for a very long time they were A2. First one i bought was about 7-8 years ago. The sound left me with zero doubt they are A2. It's the darkest tele bridge pickup i have ever used easily. I also have used A3 in the past and it's bright, just not in the same range as A5. I have a A3 strat pickup thats the same wire and close to the same (6.3k) DCR and in a strat it's a lot brighter then the 62 in any tele, and one of my 62s now resides in my ash/maple thinline. Theres not an A3 i have heard thats that dark. I find A3 as bright as A5, just in a different range. A5 adds a lot of treble around 5k (to my ear) and A3 in the lower treble range but as much. A2 is often used to darken bright guitars and thats exactly what the 62 does in every tele i have put it in. (it's been in probably 10) In fact i am considering replacing it in my thinline because it's too dark for my tastes at the moment. By the way, i can't count the times i have seen retailers using incorrect specs on fender products because fender gave out wrong info and later corrected it. This is pretty much the norm. I called fender when this same debate happened here a few years back and they even told me it's A2. So believe what u will but i have no doubt it's A2 and has been at least as long as i been using them.

jondanger likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.