A3 bootstraps...Extra crispy vs Original recipe bridge pickups findings

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
First of all, i am not exactly saying i tried both, but i MAY have. Confused?😁Maybe Ryan can tell me if this is a fair comparison, but i had an extra crispy that i tried in my 2 teles. Loved it, but i don't generally like or use fender pickups that are much higher wound than around 6-6.4k. But i wanted to try the EC for reasons too longwinded and unimportant to go into. But after a time as much as i liked it, my dislike of hotter pickups in teles started to eat at me and i ordered a Original Recipe because far as i can tell from the specs on the bootstrap page, they are exactly the same except that the OR is only wound to 6.4k while the EC is 7.8k. Thats where if Ryan stops by maybe he can speak to that.

Anyways, getting to the point i decided to email Ryan and ask him to change the order and instead i unwound my EC to OR specs, 6.4k. What i found was pretty much the same sound but less output. I expected a brighter sound with lower output but only got the latter which is actually good because i didn't necassarily want brighter as much as just lower output. Might be a tad brighter but nothing very notable. But i loved the sound of the EC and just wanted it in a more vintage cleaner output and thats pretty much just what i got. I really like it a lot just like i did before, but now it's got the dynamics of a low output bridge pickup. So i got just what i wanted and it sounds great. So assuming i am correct that unwinding my EC to OR specs i basically now have a OR, i can tell you that if you want the A3 sound which is a middier less bright and cutting bridge tone than A5, between the EC and OR you have the choice of basically the same tone with your choice of high or low output. I still love A5 the most in general, but A3 is also a great sound and maybe better in bright teles which is where mine is. My other is darker and has A5 and i like having very different bridge tones in each. As always, bootstraps are great, and Ryan, if you see this please tell me....is my extra crispy that I unwound to 6.4k now the same pickup as the original recipe or are there other differences between the 2 models besides the DCR?

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
If you unwound the extra crispy then you may or may not have what the builder builds as the original. If you like it good for you.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
If you unwound the extra crispy then you may or may not have what the builder builds as the original. If you like it good for you.
Thats why i asked him to chime in. But they are both A3, both 42 gauge and i believe the same wire type. So unless he tensions the winds differently they should be identical at the same DCR. If he chimes in and says thats not the case I'd ask him to change the order back to the original OR in order to see if it's even better than my "faux OR".