a zillion pickguards on ebay....question

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Mar 11, 2021.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Last time i bought some tele guards the majority that were available had no mounting holes for the neck pickup. Thats what I prefer. But now a few years later it seems the majority of them have those holes. Are these the same as the ones with no holes for the neck p/u or are the USA modern guards with a slightly different hole pattern? In other words, no pup mounting holes=vintage pickguard mounting pattern, pup holes=modern pickguard mounting pattern? These sellers make nothing clear so it's impossible to be sure what they will fit.

If i must i'd go with one that has pup mounting holes if i save enough but i don't know if they are otherwise the same and fit the same teles. Or maybe they are all the same as far as guard mounting pattern? (except japan...i DO know those are different)

2. Telecentric

Telecentric Tele-Holic

not sure where you are shopping, but both styles are widely available. How much are you looking to save on a $20 guard anyway?

If you have the old PG, just send a tracing to www.pickguards.com and they will make you what you want, and it will fit.

SRHmusic likes this.
  3. alex1fly

alex1fly Tele-Meister

Never had an Ebay pickguard fit right. Too bad, because all the designs on there are drool-worthy!

4. dpang2836

dpang2836 Tele-Meister

All the Stuff China copies, Pickguard's would be the Worst! I buy 5 at a time so I can get the Holes in the same place!

5. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

Try Vanson, they fit every time, and they are specific to what type i.e Squier, US made Fender etc. They're not over the top with prices either.

6. goatofballstreet

goatofballstreet TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I've found even Fender current patterns for vintage style can be a little off on both modern reissue and vintage Fenders so it's always a bit of a mixed bag.

7. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Really? Maybe thats changed now, but between about 7 years ago and 4 years ago i bought probably 6 or 7 of them for various CVs and MIM classics and everyone fit perfectly. In fact, bought one more about a year ago thats great too. Just one was worthless because the color was not right or represented in the pic. (mint green looked more like florescent green)

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

I just thought I'd jump in here and mention a peeve of mine that I sometimes find with aftermarket tele pickguards, esp from ebay...

I seem to find an extraordinary amount which have the neck pickup route cut too big...BLAH!
    Too wide, yanno, too much slop for the pickup to wiggle around in and it just looks terrible.

Cripes!
    If they're gonna botch the rout, I'd rather they leave it a li'l snug than freakishly BIG.
    At least I could work it to fit, while I'm already having to deal with misaligned mounting screw holes and trimming here n' there....as ya' do.
    Psssh....ever try to ADD material, tho'???
    Lemme tell ya', it hardly ever works out well, IME.

Eh, I only use traditional pickguards WITHOUT mounting holes, but I mean, I figure if they cant get THOSE right, it's likely an issue for the other style as well.

Anyway...just something else to look out for, or inspect before it becomes non-returnable or whatevs.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.