A word in favor of 'zombie' threads

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jhundt, Oct 14, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

There was some discussion in a post about TDPRI history that suggested that people should not bring up zombie threads; someone suggested a 5 year age limit. One of the reasons given was that it is a bit sad to see posts written by members who are now deceased or gone for other reasons. Another reason was that a person might not want to see his own old posts because he had 'moved on' from previously held and stated positions.

And apparently, it's newly signed-on members who are mostly responsible for digging up these old threads.

I just want to say this about that, as I see it:

I do not feel sad when I see old posts from members and friends who are now gone. In fact, I am sometimes surprised to see the name of a favorite poster - and happy to hear his opinion - before I realize that I'm reading a 10-year-old thread. That doesn't bother me. I am happy to feel, just for a moment, like an old friend is still around. And he is, even if just here on the TDPRI, just for a moment his memory is alive and he is remembered. What more can anyone ask after they are gone?

And when I realize that I am re-reading and reacting to a 10-year-old thread, I usually have a chuckle because apparently I am still interested in the same subject!

As to being a bit shy about your own old posts: well don't be. You said it, that's all there is to say. It's on the record. This modern world doesn't allow all that hiding-of-the-past that older generations practiced. If you have changed since then we probably all have noticed, and we either like you or dislike you based on your current self.

As to the newbies being guilty: most of them have probably arrived from somewhere after following that age-old wisdom "Google is your friend". They have been referred by Google to a thread that concerns their quest for information. After reading said thread, they pose a follow-up question or comment, astounded by their discovery of this fountain of wisdom. And then they get shot down by the first response, which is usually one of the "grumpy old men" suggesting that they stop reviving zombie threads.

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Personally, I prefer to see the conversations dug up than people ask the same old questions afresh on a new thread, but I understand the arguments against.

3. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Can we just call them Vintage Threads?

Vintage-Thread.jpg

4. jhundt

no, then they would become valuable, and we couldn't afford them.

5. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6. Bluesensationist

Bluesensationist TDPRI Member

I agree with that. The only thing that seems a little problematic is outdated information (i.e. if you are reading through a thread about a product with an 8 year gap between posts and now the previous post has incorrect information directly next to new discussion which could be a little misleading)

Other than that I'd rather read through one thread about a given topic than 14 that have 3 posts each.

dented and nojazzhere like this.
  7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Yeah I always thought the old rule against resurrecting zombie threads was senseless

8. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

jhundt, AGREE! When I see a thread with stantheman or Robbie Wallace or tdot or roli or TIM or 20 other guys who I just LOVED how their brains worked and their ideas and thoughts and humor...

I get notices once in awhile and it makes me so glad for those times.... Jack Wells builds and insights.... colonel robert morris (among the funniest, most fraud lade crapola, but the way everyone responded ruled.)

When guys pass... the loss is palpable, but man, we sure had some fun here while folks were living, right? and our memories are ours to keep and revisit... sometimes when I post I think, if some soul comes along and hears my voice that would be pretty cool... not that they'd agree or not that it would influence or any of that... just the sharing of ideas EVEN and ESPECIALLY when we don't agree....

I've also made a few lifelong friends here who I'm grateful for coming here (originally in 2000) and then with my current name later...

9. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's

Of course, my logic falls apart when people start answering the OP’s question, 12 years after they last logged in :D

telestratosonic likes this.
  10. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Holic

I like rising zombie threads. Information should be jointed in one topic.

if you google about... for example, a THR10 there are too many threads talking about the same. I would likt to have all those information in ONE topic...

Speaker for a Blues Junior... pickups for a tele... tubescreamer delight... too many separate topics IMO

11. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I am going to wait until this thread is reliced, about 10 years, before reviving it and posting my opinion

12. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

No issues here with zombie threads... Nice to follow the history and evolution (or devolution!) of a thread/topic!!

telestratosonic and dented like this.
  13. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

When it comes to doing research on gear..zombie threads are very valuable resource and when a post happens you get some time in between to get more detailed reviews or performance reliability

telestratosonic and dented like this.
  14. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

When we’ve had an actual Zombie Apocalypse then these old jokes about zombies won’t seem so funny then, will they?!?

Until then — long live the zombie thread (subject to the proviso about out of date information imho).

15. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

First, gonna voice my agreement that I'd rather see old threads expanded than new ones started from scratch that rehash all the same old material.

Second, having been a pop-culture-purveying company's community manager for a while, I can say one reason for discouraging the dredging up of old threads is because people sometimes quote an 8-year-old post with the usual "here's why this is totally wrong," and they're totally wrong. If the original poster has no interest in returning to that topic or isn't around to see it, then people wonder, "why isn't Bob559 sticking up for himself?" It's a minor point, but it happens.

PeterUK and RadioFM74 like this.
  16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Yeah! I love old threads… there’s still lots of useful stuff in there! Let’s call them “road worn” threads so there is no necrotic implication but also no risk of costs escalating!

telestratosonic, DavidP and mrmousey like this.
  17. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

If I'm searching for a topic I almost NEVER look at the date the thread was started. As such, I'm guilty of reviving an occasional zombie thread. I'm also guilty of learning a lot from zombie threads - regardless of who resurrected them. So I say "Long Live the Zombie Thread" - now get off my lawn...

18. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

‘Zombie threads’ are an awesome knowledge base and photographic resource and should be used as such, but care should be taken when quoting [passed and dormant] members from those threads as it could send alerts to email addresses of deceased members possibly causing upset and distress (see @TG’s comments above as one example).

@jhundt: we know each other and I’ve got the upmost respectful for you, but I’m sure we can agree to disagree on this know that old threads will be revived every week!

:D Peter

telestratosonic, getbent and jhundt like this.
  19. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, I'm guilty. I have opened them up and replied. But after going back through the thread I have seen members that have passed. Kinda warming to me. Also I have gotten info from those old threads. But alas I always....

DfKL_yPX4AAAaPG.jpg

20. jhundt

of course! I am not even necessarily disagreeing; I am just not clear why anyone is against them. Until now I have seen little reason to be opposed. I note your comment about possibly causing distress to family members. I would be interested to hear from any family member that felt distress after a zombie thread is revived. So far I have never heard of that from anyone.

When a guy is gone, what is left? Maybe some things that he owned. Maybe a grave site. His family misses him. If he was a popular guy in the community, others may miss him too.

If he was a normal guy like me, he will be quickly forgotten. Life goes on, that's just the way it is. But to have your name pop up years after you are dead and gone, and to have people reading and considering your thoughts and opinions, and maybe even mistakenly responding to your comments as if you are still here - that's immortality, the way I see it.

So it's cool Peter, we see this in different ways. No problem. I hope to see you at the London Jam.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.