a way to stop a pickup cover from affecting the tone

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Cheap Trills, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Meister

I have a cool gunmetal blue single coil cover that I really like the look of, however it seems that it's made of some material that's greatly affecting the tone of the pickup. it's removing a lot of high end. Ultimately, sound matters most, so I decided I cannot use the pickup cover. However, I thought it worth researching if there was some way to keep it from affecting the magnetic field / sound of the pickup. I've found some info online about de-magnetizing it via a degauser, high heat, or suprisingly, hitting it with a hammer? but does removing it's magnetism even mean it won't affect the magnetic field?

2. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of anything that worked except removing the cover, making holes in it or making the cover be of plastic.

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Put the cover on, get a capacitor (start with 0.047uF) and wire that in series with the pickup hot lead. That should brighten it up. You can also find a higher kohm volume pot to brighten but you may have other pickups that are not getting the cover.

preactor and Cheap Trills like this.
  4. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I don't think that the cover itself is magnetized, unless perhaps when it is in close proximity to the pickup magnets underneath it...magnetized by proxy. If you remove the cover and set it on a table, will it attract other metal objects that are brought close to it like a magnet ?

Cheap Trills likes this.
  5. Cheap Trills

no, I think you are right, it does not attract metal objects. I guess it just interferes with the picups magnetic field.

6. Cheap Trills

putting holes in it? like on it's side? any idea what part has the most affect on the magnetic field?

7. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

Top, sorry

[​IMG]

8. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Different metals react differently with the magnetic field.. even what many think of as neutral metal covers can react badly... Aluminum for instance is NOT non-magnetic, its Diamagnetic, which presents its own issues... so ya can't just pick something arbitrarily, it has to be "engineered" for the application..

A lotta suppliers havr no idea, they just contract and have something "out sourced", stock up on 'em, and promote them as the greatest not knowing that in reality they are the worst...

r

Cheap Trills, Barncaster and eallen like this.
  9. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

You own a Fishcaster ? Nice ! If you don't want that gunmetal blue cover in the end, I might like it.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  10. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Yep like that. Think of it like this (simplified): The magnetic “flux” needs to pass through the inner of the winding and get “distracted” by the strings and go all the way back ( on the outside of the coil) to the bottom of the mags. That delta of flux created by the distraction of the vibrating strings relative to the static magnet field creates the pickups output voltage. Any somewhat magnetic metal on top or the bottom of the coil will dampen the tone slightly - So if there is a some of the magnetic flux guided through the somewhat magnetically conducting metal cover right from the top of the poles to the bottom of the poles, it will never reach the strings - which will be audible especially for the weaker/smaller vibrations of the string that make up the higher frequencies.
    If you have cover like that in the picture that is already open on top you can make a vertical cut somewhere to suppress the potential “eddie currents” that otherwise circulate around and might also impact the signal... well that is the theory

you will have much bigger results by probably using 1meg pots and a smaller tone cap to “ice pic” up the tone. Or use a series capacitor (high pass filter) as mentioned above.

Cheap Trills, Barncaster and blille like this.
  11. RolandG

RolandG Tele-Meister

If the cover is earthed then you can try cutting the earth wire to see whether that restores some of the top end.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  12. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

[QUOTE="I_build_my_own, post: 9377871, member: 82564"If you have cover like that in the picture that is already open on top you can make a vertical cut somewhere to suppress the potential “eddie currents” that otherwise circulate around and might also impact the signal... well that is the theory[/QUOTE]

It is not only a theory - I proved it. (PDF): http://kenwillmott.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Pickup_Cover_Geometry.pdf

Cheap Trills, bender66 and LowCaster like this.
  13. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

It is not only a theory - I proved it. (PDF): http://kenwillmott.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Pickup_Cover_Geometry.pdf[/QUOTE]
    Awesome article!!! Love it.

Cheap Trills and roffe like this.
  14. roffe

roffe Tele-Meister

Cheap Trills likes this.
  15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Holic

If the cover has a true gun-blued finish, then it is made from from some type of regular carbon steel.

I've done gun blued finishes, and the chemicals used only work favorably with carbon steel.

No good on stainless steel or nickle alloys like nickle-silver.

I hope by narrowing down the metal the cover is made from it will help you find your solution to the problem :).

g

Cheap Trills likes this.
  16. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Any material that induces eddy currents will affect it. Unfortunately, gun bluing only worked on materials that will do so. You can simulate the look, but you will need a material like wood or plastic.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  17. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Ah yes, tuning the circuit to taste. It is the final step of any serious build. Great tuning suggestions provided all around gentlemen. Well done.

Cheap Trills likes this.
  18. Cheap Trills

thank you, all, for the input. After cutting into it, it looks to be alumium. I'm suprised it cuts off soo much high end. It actually sounds fairly sweet and mellow, but unfortunately that's not what I'm looking for in a strat neck pickup.

I'm going to try a few experiments. I'll try moving it very close to the strings, since if the aluminuim is interfering, maybe its just acting like a pickup set too far.. although, the volume isnt cut. I'll also try grounding it to see if there's some difference.

lastly, I have another of the same kind of pickup cover, and I've removed as much of the sides as I can. I'm curous if it will make a difference.

IMG_20191020_1519202.jpg IMG_20191020_1534488.jpg

19. Cheap Trills

taking off the sides ended up having a large effect on bringing back the high end. I decided to see how much more I could take off. After all this, honestly, it's still cutting highs, but its somewhat pleasant.

IMG_20191028_0953037.jpg IMG_20191028_0957547.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.