1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A volume knob mystery

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Munchie99, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Munchie99

Munchie99 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I put better pickups and a better pre-wired control plate and wiring harness assembly in one of my mod platform Bullet Squier teles. Sounds better, tone rolls off better, everything is better.

But it does one strange thing--when I roll the volume back, it goes from 10 to 8 to 6 to 4 to 2 and then suddenly back to 10. What the hell?

I'm sure it's something stupid I did with my soldering iron. And I'm in no hurry to fix it. But when I do, where should I look for my obvious bonehead mistake? I did nothing to the wiring harness other than connect the pickups to it.

2. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

It actually sounds like the resistor disc inside the pot is not registered properly with the stop. You have a defective pot.

3. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Check the solder joint on Lug 1 (ground) of the volume pot. That lug needs a solid contact to ground to turn the pot off.

Nelg likes this.
  4. Munchie99

3B1CF951-1424-4A81-8359-1E1FFCCBDC5A.jpeg The lug looks fine. I gave the pot a spritz with contact cleaner, and now the volume knob acts like a tone knob. Bizarre.

5. Munchie99

And for the hell of it, I heated the connection there and reflowed the solder. Same thing. It goes back and forth between volume 10 at both ends of the sweep and just dulling the tone. When I feel industrious, I’ll see if I can dismantle their handiwork and replace the pot.

6. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

That's a big blob of solder. I'd remove it and verify the connection.

Geo likes this.
  7. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

A visual of the solder joint won't tell if the connection is actually good. I can still be
    partial or intermittent.

8. Munchie99

I finally got back to it today. I said to hell with fixing it and just made a new one from new pots, switch, wires, and output jack on an old Squier plate. I can salvage some parts from the 920D and do another one, maybe something more ambitious.

This is the first one I’ve built entirely from scratch. A little sloppy, but it works! 0A34FD75-05A7-48A7-BCA3-B47B81FA4B35.jpeg

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Looks good!

Munchie99 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.