A very, very, weird Q regarding vintage tuners

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by chief_stallion03, Oct 27, 2021.

1. chief_stallion03

chief_stallion03 TDPRI Member

Alright so this is going to sound absolutely bizarre but here it goes. Is there a vintage 6 in line tuner that has a bolt bushing instead of the regular bushings? I’m working on this guitar replica and the original had vintage tuners before it was changed to schaller minis. I would like for my replica to have those same holes in place and I couldn’t find anyone that sold a drill guide and I really don’t want to deal with removing the standard bushings after drilling the holes.

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Doctor of Teleocity

No, older-style tuners didn't use a threaded barrel nut like many modern tuners use, like this.

[​IMG]

However, some models of vintage tuners did use press-in bushings that look like a nut because the top flange is a hexagon, like this:

[​IMG]

If you have enlarged tuner holes in the headstock (intended for modern tuners) and want to use vintage style press-in bushings like this, look up "guitar tuner conversion bushings" online. Conversion bushings are larger to snugly fit into a 10mm hole.

4. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

There have been , but the name just wont come up in my fried old brain....... Everything else like vintage type tuners , but with a screw in bushing

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

Grover 136N6?

Grover_136N6_02.JPG

chief_stallion03 likes this.
  6. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Could you explain that part of the question? What do you mean by "standard" bushings - vintage (press fit) or modern (bolt)?
    Not sure if you already have holes drilledreamed out to the larger size (in which case Gotoh vintage style tuners will work with "conversion" bushings press fit into the larger holes). Conversion bushings on proper vintage style tuners will have the least mass and will be most vintage appropriate (except the OP is trying to replicate some sort of Franked-thing so that's a different goal).

If you have large holes, and you want bolt bushings on top and vintage style tuning machines on the back, then the Grovers that TuxedoPoly posted would be the ticket.

Viking maybe you're thinking of TonePros? I believe they're out of business, but when TonePros licensed the Kluson brand they made vintage style tuners with bolt bushings. I put them on an American Standard strat (made just before they went to staggered tuners with the American Series). Pretty sure that StewMac cleared out all the old stock of those. Tone Pros continued to make hardware for Gibson for awhile, so there are some out there.

7. chief_stallion03

chief_stallion03 TDPRI Member

That’s what I’m looking for. I wanted a vintage style tuner without the threaded bushings. This would allow me to avoid dealing with a threaded bushings if I wanted to change to a modern tuner.

thank you all for your help.

jimmywrangles likes this.
  8. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

The vintage style on the american performer series have a nut and I believe (though not sure) are fit to modern holes.

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  9. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

Yep, Fender calls them Classic Gear tuners and can be had from Fender or Darren Riley and a few other places online.

loopfinding likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Friend of Leo's

The ClassicGear have those pesky pins on them which require a bit of drilling.

Fender_Classic_Gear02.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.