A very "other" guitar...

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by LGOberean, Nov 11, 2019.

1. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, I've got a question about an "other" guitar...a very "other" guitar...
    [​IMG]

I can tell you that it was in a 1968 episode of Bewitched entitled "Hippie, Hippie, Hooray!" But what is it? What make and model of guitar is this?

Elizabeth Montgomery played both her usual role of Samantha Stephens and her hippie cousin Serena in the episode. But was the guitar a partscaster, so to speak? Was it cobbled together and painted psychedelic for the episode? Or is it essentially a stock model of some make that was so painted for the show? My eyes can't tell much about that bridge, and the control panel looks weird. That single neck pickup looks like it could be about the size of a Dynasonic or maybe a mini-humbucker, but my old eyes are sure of that either.

So anyone know? Or feel like taking on this mystery?

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It’s a Vox.
    A fox with a Vox.
    It’s a psychedelic repainted Bossman model.

3. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, the headstock shape gives it away.

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Afflicted

Another great episode with a cool guitar:

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Brookdale Bill beat me to it. I recognized it as a Vox.....although he even knew the model....;)

6. nojazzhere

I KNOW!!!!! It's a Kent Americana!......that was my first electric. Closest I could afford to an ES 335.

stevemc likes this.
  7. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Very interesting - following the Monkees but predating the Partridge Family as "what network TV thinks rock music is."

Of course her son, Bill Asher Jr. (Bill Asher Sr. was a director/producer of Betwitched) has become a noted luthier these days (granted Bill Jr. was like 3 when the "Hippie, Hippie, Hooray" episode was filmed as it aired in early 1968).

brookdalebill likes this.
  8. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Elizabeth Montgomery was...um....rather...um...good-looking.
    Yes.

stevemc, nojazzhere and Zepfan like this.
  9. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Meister

Bill
    Asher

10. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Hmmm...I think I agree with Bill here. The Kent Americana has some similarities, but is essentially a double cutaway, with a different shaped headstock and control plate. Plus it has two pickups, not just a neck pup.
    [​IMG]

I knew the headstock looked familiar to me, but as soon as I read Bill's Dr. Seuss-like reply, I metaphorically kicked myself for not recognizing it as the same headstock shape as that teardrop Vox guitar of Brian Jones'...
    [​IMG]

And here is a pic of the Vox Bossman in its natural (that is to say, sunburst, not psychedelic) state...
    [​IMG]

Even then, the "Bewitched" Bossman was modified. I'm not just talking about the psychedelic paint job; the pickguard was chopped/reshaped, and the fretboard has block inlays, as opposed to dot position markers.

Macrogats and nojazzhere like this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

It certainly looks like a Vox, as Larry G shows. It just might be an EKO - I believe that many VOX guitars were re-branded, built by EKO in Italy. That might account for the inlays, pickguard and taipiece differences.

nojazzhere and eclecticsynergy like this.
  12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

13. nojazzhere

I was referring to the second example (post #4) as the Kent......I had already agreed with Bill that the one you asked about was a Vox, although I didn't know the precise model.
    The Kent you just pictured is very similar to my first electric. (not counting an acoustic flat top with a soundhole pickup) I bought it around '65-'66 at Ault Music for $60.....and then bought a Gibson soft side (not gig bag) case for another $30. That Kent was a DOG.....but I loved it. I played it until I got my 1960 Les Paul Jr in 1969.....ALSO for $60. (case included) I still have the JR......and it is WONDERFUL!

LGOberean likes this.
  14. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

15. nojazzhere

I think that needs just ONE MORE gadget or gizmo.....that would then be over the top. What is that apparatus between the bridge and tailpiece? Some kind of tremolo?

16. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.