A very nice surprise - SX Vintage Series Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by JC_M, May 27, 2020.

1. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Been building some partcasters lately to pass the time, but I'm never quite sure about mail-order necks and don't want to spend Warmoth-type money. So I've been looking for inexpensive guitars to buy and repurpose the parts, especially the necks. Picked up this SX Vintage Series Tele with a P-90 today for $100 thinking that there's a lot I can use here. Got 'er home, plugged it in to check the electronics and...damn! The neck is chunky, flat and fast. It sounds great clean, and the P-90 really sings when you heat it up with some OD. The bridge pickup is kind of meh with OD, but it's everything you expect from a Tele played clean. So now I'm rethinking my plan for this guitar.

Anybody else have good luck with these SXs? If there's all like this, I'll be looking for more.
    61231218644__6305C4CE-72B4-41C1-A012-F94C284B4C81.JPG IMG_1038.jpg IMG_1039.jpg IMG_1040.jpg IMG_1041.jpg

2. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Tele-Holic

HNGD
    They're great guitars, had one for years now, and still think it's worth much more than i paid for it 10 years ago. After reshaping the headstock, new pickups, and removing the baby sh&t yellow "BSB" finish, i like it even better.

JC_M, nojazzhere and PhredE like this.
  3. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I've got one too. It's the natural ash and black pickguard flavor w/standard PUs.

I had to do a fret level/crown/polish, but I also like the neck a lot on mine. The radius seems to be atypical (compared to Fender/Squier), but it is flat and fast -- nice big jumbo frets too.

I did a lot to mine to make it usable -- swapped: tuners, bridge plate+saddles, pots+switch, and bridge pickup. I actually like the the neck pickup as much as I didn't want to. I still do some tweaking to it when I get the time.

One aspect of mine that was quite the curveball: they didn't sand the top perfectly flat, and that the surface was 'raised' slightly right under where the bridge plate is. I had to disassemble it, got the random orbital out and gave the top a good even sanding. Then, I resprayed (just the top) with poly finish with a light sand in between coats. The top is now a quasi-matte finish, but actually matches the existing polyester (?) finish reasonably well.

It took a lot of work to fine-tune and work the bugs out, but overall, I guess I would say it was worth it and and I'm fairly happy with the final result.

I think I posted a thread or some responses on a thread about it at the time (2 years ago or so). There's quite a few references and threads about SX Furrians on TDPRI in places.

Sneaks and JC_M like this.
  4. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Here's mine, bought new in 2003 or so, just when Rondo and SX were first coming on the internet scene. I've made several mods to it over the years, including replacing the bridge and electronics. The neck P90 started out as a dogear pickup on my Agile LP Jr DC style. I rehoused it in a raw nickel-silver soapbar casing and really liked the result.

42089788422_7178c2af08_o.jpg

JC_M and nojazzhere like this.
  5. kwcsports

kwcsports Tele-Meister

I had one, great guitars. Headstock looks like Suhr a little.

JC_M likes this.
  6. jjudas

jjudas Tele-Meister

I've had 3 SX Furrian Teles. One Ash in trans blue, one vintage white with P90s and one black Fat Furrian with a neck humbucker. They have good bones.

PhredE and JC_M like this.
  7. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

Like I said, I was gonna part this out. Instead, maybe some cosmetic upgrades and some new inner workings might be a better choice. Keep the P-90, maybe an SD in the bridge (if I can find a cheap one), pots, new pickguard. That neck is FABULOUS, fits me like a glove -- a lot like the neck on my modern player Tele, except maybe a little beefier and a flatter radius. Here's an idea -- I could see putting that neck it on another, slightly high-end Tele build. So many choices, so little money...

PhredE likes this.
  8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Perfect timing this thread....

What do they put in for pots and caps what with a P90 and a Tele bridge pickup?

Are the pickups ceramic? Most likely at that price point, but nothing wrong with ceramic, they may just need different pot and cap values.

How much was that?? I just spent $100 on an AlNiCo P90 and a Tonerider hot classic bridge, and that's only the pickups!

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

PhredE and JC_M like this.
  9. JC_M

JC_M TDPRI Member

I haven't cracked it open yet - I'm in the middle of another project. Likely ceramics under the hood, but I like the P90 (so far). That bridge pickup, though...

PhredE likes this.
  10. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

Re: pots -- I just went out to the garage to check my spare and gutted parts stash, but I think I tossed them already. It's been a year or more, but, IIRC 250k mini pots -- I think.
    The problem in upgrading is that control cavity is more narrow (I think about 1") than standard Fender (maybe Squier too?) -- so, if you want to use standard size pots you'll almost certaintly have to do some routing or similar to widen it. I wasn't keen on doing that (lack good tools), so I just opted to upgrade with a good brand of 500k mini pots. I may change those out again soon.
    Sorry, can't recall the cap type/size that was original. I'm sure the cap got tossed as well.

I would bet on ceramic pickups, but I have since upgraded one (bridge) and likely do the other soon too.

One nice thing I forgot to mention earlier, is my neck has binding. The workmanship on it was really, really good.

Re: price -- here is a link to the one I bought (almost 3 years ago) - it was $169 + shipping at the time
    https://www.rondomusic.com/furrianmnashnat.html

11. Sneaks

Sneaks TDPRI Member

According to the folks at Rondo I believe I just snagged the last current one of those they had in stock. It's my third SX Furrian and they have are all keepers. I was really surprised to see that model arrive with neck binding also. There was no shot of it in the pics and no mention in the posting. I really dig the body contours and big, fat neck. I gave $225 for mine delivered just about a month ago. I originally picked up my antique white (pale yellow), double bound, maple fretboard version a few years back just to see what you actually get for $130 delivered. At the time I had not even owned my first T-type! It arrived the same day as another guitar and honestly ended up in the closet for about 18 months. I was moving about a year ago and attempting to thin the herd of 35-40. I sold a lot of lower end/student guitars and was down to around 20 when I found the Furrian stashed in a crawl space. It was headed for Craig's List before I pulled it out to take another look at it. In the interim between purchasing it and moving, I had gotten a couple of other Yamaha T-Types and a Michael Kelley T52 that I figured had that base covered. When I pulled it out of the "gig bag" the first thing I noticed was the nice chunky neck. I sat down with it to see how it played and was actually a little irritated that it was so good! I had bought it more on a whim because I didn't actually think there would be much to it and wanted to settle my curiosity. American Alder, Canadian maple, etc. The second thing I noticed was how great it was staying in tune. Even with old factory strings and no set up, the intonation was bang on. Wait a minute...this can't be right?????? I restrung it and actually raised the action before proceeding to ignore the rest of my guitars for a couple of months! I jumped on the Reverb/Rondo site to see what others were available and snagged another double bound w/maple fretboard in a Powder Blue for $140 delivered. I was sure the first one had to be a fluke so my expectations were not high. It arrives and dammit, another ridiculously good playing guitar with a great neck and set up for very low cost. The ash version that is linked had been on my radar since I realized how much I liked my first one, but I had to make sure that first one wasn't just an oddball ringer before laying out the big money ;)($225 delivered). It is worth that money for the neck alone. The quality is even nicer on the "higher end" ash version and the body thickness is much closer to original T-Type spec. The only really noticeable difference is that overall body thickness and the excellent neck pocket fit. The other two are just under 1-5/8" (1.625") overall thickness while the ash version is a full 1-11/16" (1.687") thick. Good bones in all of mine. Especially the ash one. Other than a Michael Kelley T52 and a Squier VM Custom Tele, I have sold all of the other T-Types I had. Two MIM Fenders and three different Yamahas. Hope they are able to restock and continue providing these. I know they are struggling to maintain stock.

PhredE likes this.
  12. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the mini review, 'cause I've been eyeing their Tele with Strat bridge/vibrato. I figure if I get it then I'll play it more, 'cause whenever I have a Tele I wish it had a bar and I don't like Bigsbys. telestrat.jpg

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    joebaby and Sneaks like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

On my upgrade, I used CTS 250k pots with a no-load tone pot (this also required a replacement control plate). The cap is a Mojo Tone Vitamin T .022uf.

PhredE likes this.
  14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Thanks for the info. The P90 still balances with the bridge pickup ok with only using 250k pots?

I see in many threads people using 500k pots, but then running a 470k resistor to ground for the bridge pickup. I guess it depends on the pickups which is why I was asking about the type of pickups, ceramic or AlNiCo, etc. Their output, in relation to each other, is important, too.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

PhredE likes this.
  15. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Holic

I need to add more details about mine -- just for anyone that is lurking and might need to know this stuff.

Apparently, in the construction process at the factory, one particular thing they do is to drill a hole in the body in the neck pocket. Based on some common sense and a little research, I assume this is so they can hang the body while they spray it with finish (which, I believe is a UV-cured polyester -- it is super soft compared to polyurethane). Spraying finish on the body when suspended on a hook speeds up the build process, but it also ensures there is a generous opportunity for the neck pocket to get a large dose of finish unnecessarily -- if it isn't covered up too! /ARGH #(# @&!* !(!!!!

In the case of my Furrian, that is exactly what happened -- and it was unevenly spread around the pocket too. A think layer of polyester finish between neck+body does not help to transfer vibrations at all, and was uneven enough as to affect the geometry of the neck-body joint. I very carefully went and sanded flat/flush the finish from the neck pocket and was able to get wood-on-wood contact and achieve a decent angle without having to shim.
    I've owned a lot of guitars and worked on many of them, but I was not expecting that twist at all. Lesson learned.

All you SX Furrian owners should know that you might have a similar lurking problem.
    It is quite a different (read improved!) guitar when the neck-body are assembled properly.
    The electronics (pots, switch, caps, wiring and probably the bridge pickup) are arguably the weak point. If you're willing to swap those out, the basic bones ARE good. At the very least, you have a good modding platform that is solid you can fix up for cheap.

Sneaks likes this.
  16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I have a GFS Repro 50's in the bridge, which is about 7.2, and the P90 is about 7.3. Lowering the P90 and the metal case bring it down so that they balance pretty well. I typically use only one pickup at a time, usually the P90, so I don't worry too much about the middle position.

jfgesquire and PhredE like this.
  17. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Afflicted

I had an SX Tele briefly. It wasn’t great. Played fine. Neck was really thin. Pickups were pretty shrill on the bridge and muddy on the neck, cheap sounding. Didn’t stay in tune very well, cheapo tuners. It would’ve needed some major work to make it good had I kept it. Didn’t bother.

Ive heard some guys have had good luck with them. I’d rather save the money from modding and get a used Squier CV.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.