A tuner pedal question

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Do the math to rule out mA overuse. See if it's possible you exceeded the 1700mA that the 1Spot provides.
Other than that, you'll need to duplicate the problem with the exact set up, otherwise it's just an anomaly. Just another blip in an otherwise perfect acoustic pub gig (with good beer I hope)
Great beer. And best barbeque around.

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
Bad reputation?
I had a bad experience with a Donner ‘Deluxe’ tuner. The first one sent was useless, wouldn’t track a single string. The second one had a bad display. I lost $40, contributed to electronic waste and learned a lesson with these cheap pedals.

A used Boss, Digitech, Polytune will serve you well.

Charlie Bernstein

Doctor of Teleocity
Your trouble-shooting is incomplete but it sounds like you've determined that the tuner pedal is ok so the problem is somewhere else. Keep looking. Did the tuner behave the same with all 4 instruments? Blaming the 1Spot outright is too simple...
Yup, it just slowly stopped working. First the mando, last the dread. But its screen didn't dim.

timobkg

TDPRI Member
Since a headstock tuner saved the day... let me once again plug my fave here...

https://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_ctc_50_red.htm

This thing has no build quality to speak of. I'm afraid I'll break it by sneezing at it.
However... functionally it's so damn good I bought a spare!
Steady and precise tuning. Nothing more, nothing less. None of the almost-almost-almost-suddenwildjumptosomewhere
which almost all cable-connected tuners I've used are guilty of. Yes, TU-3... you may be an industry standard
but I'm definitely looking at you too here! After the CTC-50 your performance was underwhelming at best.
That looks like a re-branded Snark. Wouldn't surprise me if Thomann got Snark to make them a house-brand version.

Gingerdin

NEW MEMBER!
None of the almost-almost-almost-suddenwildjumptosomewhere which almost all cable-connected tuners I've used are guilty of. Yes, TU-3... you may be an industry standard but I'm definitely looking at you too here! After the CTC-50 your performance was underwhelming at best.
Most headstock tuners seem to come with that "suddenwildjumptosomewhere" feature built in as well.

Skyhook

Friend of Leo's
Most headstock tuners seem to come with that "suddenwildjumptosomewhere" feature built in as well.
That's a standard feature of the Les Paul G-string. 🙃

742147-360ae8ea3546f2e50c5f1e0188f5d203.jpg

northernguitar

Poster Extraordinaire
If folks are going to rely on a Snark, I suggest that you get out the epoxy and apply it to the rubber pad on the clamp. Never owned or seen a Snark where it falling off wasn’t a problem.

fender4life

Friend of Leo's
Is it true bypass? If it is TB and your tone was fine with the tuner off, then it's not a signal cable issue or signal jack but possibly a power cable or power jack issue. Try it and let a string sustain while you wiggle the power plug at the tuners power jack and see if that causes the tuning to cut out. If so it's 1-dirtyjack/cable plug, 2-bad power cable, 3-bad jack. If it's not true bypass and your tone was fine while playing, then things are more complicated because if thats the case then the causes i mentioned would have also affected the tone when playing making it go to sounding weak or cutting out completely. Then u r possibly looking at a issue in the tuner like a bad solder joint or some such thing.

RCinMempho

Friend of Leo's
No, I've also had problems with a 1spot and more than 4 pedals. Other people may not, but it depends which pedals are there.
I'm a One Spot guy. I have had some pedal combinations give me problems that seemed to be solved by changing the order of the pedals. I have no idea why that mattered. The tuner is always first for me as well.

I have very few problems because I don't run more than three or four pedals at once. If I turned on all my pedals at once the One Spot wouldn't be able to power them. I don't use them that way and seem to never have issues.

FabriceKaiser

TDPRI Member
At an acoustic pub gig last night, my tuner worked well at first but slowly ran more and more poorly until it wasn't tuning at all. The display remained bright, but notes didn't register at all when I plucked a string.

So I switched to a headstock tuner and just used the pedal for muting for the rest of the night.

Today I took the tuner off the pedal board and tried it solo — just guitar > cable > pedal. It worked pefectly.

It's a fairly new Tomsline AT-07 tuner. The power was via a Truetone 1 Spot and daisy chain.

The pedal chain: four acoustic instruments > four 1/4" cables > four EQ pedals > one ABCD box > tuner > preamp > XLR cable > PA

So I'm wondering: Does the placement of a pedal tuner in the chain make a difference?

Or do I need a new pedal?

Thanks!
I've had the exact same thing happen to me with my TU-3. No idea what happened. It just stopped registering notes. I jiggled, the cables, etc, to no avail and so ended up unplugging it and played without it. When I got home, I plugged it in again and it's been working perfectly ever since...
I wonder if anybody else has had a similar experience.