1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A true-or-false computer question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Charlie Bernstein, Mar 25, 2020.

1. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Tele-Holic

Got the basics covered? Using new(ish) hardware will have much impact. SSD hard drive, more than adequate RAM (+8 gigs) and a good processor on the computer.
    Also if your Internet connection is +100s of mb, make sure you aren't bottle necked with a 10/100 router or switch anywhere at home. Use gigabit network hardware.

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Since I stopped deleting cookies, I've lost a good solid ten pounds.

Rowdyman and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  3. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Afflicted

Cookies are tiny data files that the web server writes to your PC. They are not executable. They cannot run in the background.

4. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

whoops-- my mistake....I stand corrected. I think cookies generally allow you to take up where you left off when you go to a website you've visited in the past. Is that correct? As such, they only need to contain a little bit of data.

5. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

It depends. Are you clearing the history, the cache, or the cookies?

Deleting the cache can free up your hard drive and slow down your connection to some extent. When you load a web page, certain things like CSS and javascript files and even images and whatnot get stored on your computer so that the next time you load that page, you're only downloading changed content. If you clear your cache, then your computer has to download those files again. The types of things that get cached locally, though, are usually pretty small downloads that take milliseconds to re-download. Clearing your cache can make your local computer run faster if you just have tons and tons of it stored and have a smallish hard drive. For frequently visited sites, this can make them load every so slightly slower the very next time you visit them, then you've cached their files again.

Cookies depends on what they're for. If it's the more invasive cookies that track where you go and what you buy or that type of thing, you might want them gone. Other cookies are helpful and keep track of your settings for some websites.

Depending upon which browser you're using, you may be able to dump all the cache or cookies each time you close the browser automatically, thereby eliminating the need for you to go in and do it.

6. ricknbaker

Yes, originally they were created to store your preferences for a particular web site - Text colour, username, stuff like that. Then tracking cookies came along, which are not dangerous but they're typically used by advertising firms to see which sites you're visiting.
    Running your browser in incognito or private mode will prevent cookies being saved. But the sites you visit won't remember you next time.

7. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

False. The only thing that bogs down your DSL connection is how much data you are downloading at one time from the internet. The best example is streaming movies or maybe some multi player online video game.

If you aren't downloading new streams of data then cookies and internet history files on your computer have 0 effect on your connection speed or bandwidth. Your DSL connection doesn't give a flying hoot what files are sitting on your hard drive. If anything, deleting cookies and history might make the browser seem slower because it has to download all those cookies again every time you visit your favorite web sites.

But then it's not your DSL connection that is bogged down, it is a performance issue on your computer.

An analogy might be if I said having more cars parked in my driveway can bog down traffic whizzing by on main street. They are not related.

8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Never clear my history... I should....

demon and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  9. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Mostly false... most of the browsers do perfectly fine at keeping their cache managed.

Emptying the cache excessively is going to slow everything down and cause you to utilize more of your allotment of data on your cable/fios/whatever.

The biggest thing you can do to speed things up and also help your privacy is to download and install an ad-blocker. Often times the ads are downloading more data than the actual content you want to look at, and they expose you to quite a bit of risk. This is especially important on your smartphone. Installing an ad-blocker there really speeds things up, improves your experience, and reduces your data usage.

If you feel like ad-blocking is immoral just do stuff like donate to sites you think are important and/or white list those sites in the ad blocker.

Windows used to be a mess and require a lot of maintenance but it's very good these days. Microsoft doesn't get enough credit for how stable Windows 10 is.. I'm a software developer, I most develop on OSX. OSX is almost a joke now compared to where it was years ago. We used to joke about Windows requiring unnecessary reboots, now I feel like OSX is the one asking me to reboot excessively.

BTW - anytime you're talking about computer software this complicated there is almost never a black and white/true and false answer. It very much "depends".

10. Chikubi

Chikubi Tele-Meister

Never ever run defrag if you have an SSD or hybrid drive like an Apple Fusion drive. These drives have a limited number of read/write cycles before they start erroring out and losing data, and defrags will cause you to hit that limit fairly quickly compared to normal use.

https://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/should-you-defrag-an-ssd/

Hey_you and Charlie Bernstein like this.
  11. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

That's how I was looking at, but since I don't know anything, I thought I'd get some opinions. (Which, like all TDPRI opinions, range from yes to no to you-should-be-using-airmail to let-me-tell-you-a-little-bit-about-my-early-years to OP?-what-OP?)

Our internet has been slow ever since we took this iMac out of the box, so I can't image why it would have performance issues.

But as someone once said, one never knows, do one?

12. ricknbaker

Defragging has been unnecessary on windows for years since they switched to an improved way of saving files.

13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

I know why you say that, but the life expectancy on those SSD drives is quite high. It's fair to say de frags will help you get there sooner, but it's not fair to say it will get you there quickly. Even with regular defrags a person under normal computer use at home will not hit that read write cycle limit any time soon. Fortunately it's also true that modern file systems don't need defrags nearly as much.

14. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Clearing browser history has no effect on performance, as least the way you're describing performance. Browser history is essentially a text file or specialized database that stores Web site addresses. Having a history file full or empty does not speed up or slow down anything.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

+1 Firefox+ublock origin plugin.

Back when I'd interact with other people ... they'd show me something on youtube and every time I couldn't believe the number of ads.

Then they'd proudly show me their Norton/Avast/whatever protections. You know how many compute cycles that consumes, running the ads and then running the virus checker on whatever the ads are doing...

Some of the ads are back door running bitcoin miner software on your PC, among other things. Block them all until they learn to behave better.

16. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Some browsers now have bookmarks, so you can save frequently-used URLS and don't have to type them in manually every time... :rolleyes:

17. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Tracking cookies and others that are used to send collected data will most certainly slow your machine down. It also helps to do that if you don't want to give free information about yourself to these big data organizations, so they
    can collect information about you to create a profile of you.

Just because it wasn't done for years at work does not mean it's a good idea. Many people don't have any awareness about the need to do this at all.

18. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I don't know the answer to the question except that the question requests a binary answer about a computer question. You seem familiar but didn't your name used to be Berenstein?

19. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Afflicted

It’s not going to slow down the internet connection but it could slow down your browser. Most browsers have a setting that will just erase it all for you when you close the browser. Just check under preferences or setting (depending on the software) and you can set it up their.

that said emptying it every time is probably overkill. Maybe once or twice a week.

20. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

Change your DNS servers to AdBlock DNS or other providers that block ads, trackers, and other extraneous data which bogs down your internet connection. Check out AdBlockDNS, AlternateDNS, and other ad blocking DNS services. Or, for the more technically adept, run your own local caching, ad blocking DNS server like Pi-Hole, etc. Made a large difference for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.