1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Trio of Tiny Teles.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, May 4, 2010.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    The body finishing is coming along. My friend wants these to still look like wood... so they haven't been grain filled and there will only be a few thin coats of poly. I'll be level sanding these this weekend and then one more thin coat of poly and then that should be it for them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

I am keenly anticipating the final trio photo

3. Engraver-60

Engraver-60 Friend of Leo's

Very nice trio. My kids are waiting for me to get the mini-strat-teles done. Your thread is inspiring and informative. Thank you.

4. gooberman

gooberman Tele-Meister

Just to keep you on your toes I guess! I just finished up the first template for the neck for mine...I will have to go back and check the width now...why couldn't you have answered sooner??? :D Just kidding, much easier to re-do a template then fix a completed neck! Usually I am not this impatient. Thanks again. Hopefully I can get mine to turn out a fraction of how good yours are.

5. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

DRAWINGS

Kingman
    I'm the one who did the drawings and a few people asked for the file and it looks like its getting pasted around. It's great to see one built! I started just the other day to finish my 22.5 scale guitar up for a nice back packer in the woods. Any body want the file just let me know and I'll be glad to share. I got my info from Jack Wells if I remember right and then just took T. Downs file and moved it around like Jack did. I also have a drawing for a five string mando that somebody sent me and it really turned out nice. I made it for a friend of mine and I didn't get many pictures of it, but hers one almost finished. Keep the pictures coming so I see the finished guitars when you finish.
    D

Attached Files:

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    Thanks guys. We're getting close to assembly time.

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    That's "Kingma"... MR. Kingma.

:p

8. rompo420

rompo420 Tele-Meister

and....subscribed.

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    Time to check to see if the frets need leveling and level them if they need it.

First I check and make sure the fretboard is perfectly flat using this notched straight-edge and adjust the truss rod if necessary until it is flat.

[​IMG]

Then I check from fret to fret with this fret rocker. There are a few slightly higher frets here and there on all three necks.

[​IMG]

So I have this aluminum extrusion that I have one side machined perfectly flat. I use some slick-on 180 grit paper and use that for a levelling beam.

[​IMG]

Using a sharpie, I colour the tops of all the frets.

[​IMG]

Then I carefully sand the frets until all the black is gone, leaving the frets level.

[​IMG]

After that has been done to all three necks, I re-crown the frets with a crowning file and then polish them with micro-mesh. No pictures of that cuz my camera batteries died. Time to re-charge them.

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    Batteries charged up, so here is a shot of the 3 bodies. I just dry fit all my parts to makes sure everything is cool. Tomorrow I'll dis-assemble them, give the bodies a light sanding and then 1 final coat of clear.

[​IMG]

And here are some close-ups. I think I like the red one the best.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jkingma

Admin Post
    String Guage Question

I've got a question about string guage. I've never built a shorter scale guitar before but I recall reading somewhere that heavier guage strings work better on shorter scale guitars.

I'm not up on all the string tension vs scale length info so I'm not sure what I should use on these guitars. But keeping in mind that these are for kids (currently under the age of 10) what string guage should I be considering for these?

:?:

12. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I see in an earlier post, you said the scale length is 23 in. I wouldn't go lighter than tens. Nines on that scale length are just too loose and difficult to keep in tune when tuned to concert pitch. I suppose you could use 9s if you tuned it to a higher pitch.

13. jkingma

Admin Post
    22-3/4" (IIRC)

14. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Gimme the blue one!

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    In both cases I was at work and guessing. I measured them last night and they are in fact 22-3/4"... not that 1/4" is going to make a lot of difference here. ;)

Thanks Jack. I'll start with 10's and see how it goes.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010
  16. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These little Ferden Mini-Strats are 22 3/4 in. scale. When I refinished them, I put on 11 which felt right for me. For kids however 10s would probably be best.

......[​IMG]

17. jkingma

Admin Post
    Those are cute.

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    The last couple weeks has been clearcoating and sanding. Have I mentioned that I hate sanding??

Anyway, they are coming along... but slower than I was hoping. I should be starting to assemble them soon.

19. GroovePuppy

GroovePuppy TDPRI Member

Skimmed through this thread as a newbie to the forums. What a cool project. I like your attention to detail. You obviously have a fondness for sanding.

20. jkingma

Admin Post
    My friend has decided that I wants to have a nice level finish instead of being able to feel/see the grain. So since I didn't use any grain filler, this means many many more clearcoats and a bunch more sanding. I'm slowly getting there but its taking a long time. On one of the bodies I tried drop filling all the dimples with CA but it didn't take long to get a headache - from the tediuos work and the smell. It worked not too bad, but not easy. I was hoping to have these all done by now, but I've still got a couple weeks to go - or more.

This one is getting close. The other two still have quite a ways to go.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.