1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Trio of Tiny Teles.

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jkingma, May 4, 2010.

1. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Yeah, sorry... I said I was going to show that a while ago and forgot. I didn't take pictures this time around but I've got some pictures from a previous build that I will show.

Since I have never made 2 guitars that have been exactly the same, I seldom have 2 pickguards that are the same. I use different bridges... and sometimes I make the cut-out to fit a P-90 or a Humbucker. So instead of having a cut-out on my pickguard template, I have this adjustable template to make the bridge cut-out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now on these fretboards you will see that I cut the fretslots on all 3 in a slightly different location. It was just an oversight that I think occured because I was starting with three oddball sized rosewood blanks. But isn't a problem really, it just means that my bridges will all be in a slightly different locations with respect to the end of the necks and my pickguards.

[​IMG]

So in order for everything to look nice and even The bridge cutout needs to be a bit different. That's where my template comes in real handy. I can adjust it and use it for any bridge or pickup combination I want. And its very fast and easy to adjust and use.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  2. Zatar

Zatar Tele-Meister

Real nice method! Thanks for the tip!

3. jkingma

Admin Post
    Just a couple quik pics to show the general arrangement. I should get most to the routing done on the bodies this weekend and then I can start the PITA process of sanding.

Have I mentioned that I hate sanding???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mr Hatman

Mr Hatman TDPRI Member

I don't mind doing the sanding for ya ;D
    They're starting to look real good! Looking forward to the weekend!

5. Reverend D

Reverend D Tele-Meister

Those are some pretty cute little rascals. Be neat for backpacking with a battery amp.. :D

Regards,

Don

6. jkingma

Admin Post
    These pictures are pretty self explanitory so no need to bore you with the dirty details...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got about an hours worth of sanding to do to each body and then on to the finishes.

7. jkingma

Admin Post
    Well most of the sanding is out of the way, thank goodness. Have I mentioned I hate sanding... :D

I spent a couple hours in the shop last night at 33 degrees celsius and 90% humidity and got the majority of the sanding done. What a killer that was. Then I took the bodies into my basement work area where the temp was about 18 celsius and I applied a couple coats of shellac to seal them. Tonight I will do a bit of light sanding by hand to take off any wood fibers that popped up and then another coat of shellac. I might do a third coat tomorrow night, but I'll have to see how it looks and feels then. Hopefully the weather this weekend will be suitable for me to start with the colour.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. jkingma

Admin Post
    I started lacquering today. I decided to go with dark burst finishes.

To get a relatively even burst edge I use my body template as a guide of sorts. I raise it off the body by about 1/2 an inch. I could have spent 30 seconds and cut out a cardboard guide, but what the hell, the template was sitting there doing nothing anyway. ;)

[​IMG]

The with some black lacquer I spray all around the outside maintaining the same distance and angle as I go around the body.

[​IMG]

Here is side one after it has dried a bit.

[​IMG]

9. jkingma

Admin Post
    After it has sufficiently dried I flip it over and repeat the same routine on side two.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. jkingma

Admin Post
    And then a short while later a light coat of colour to each one.

I'll put several coats of colour on before I start with the clear.

You'll notice I haven't filled the grain. My friend wants them to have a more natural look and has asked that I leave the grain alone... which suits me fine. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Alex M

Alex M Tele-Meister

Beautiful!

12. jkingma

Admin Post
    Thanks Iggy.

13. Motor

Motor Tele-Holic

Looking great!
    Motor

14. vtcyclist

vtcyclist Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for the How-To on the burst spraying. I needed that.

15. jkingma

Admin Post
    Glad to be of help. Keep in mind that the colour coat needs to be translucent so that you don't colour over the black too much.

16. adirondak5

adirondak5 Wood Hoarder Extraordinaire

Great burst technique , I think I might have to try that , my daughter says I have to build one of these for each of my 3 grandkids , looks like a winter project for me , great work , I am going to use this as a guide , thanks for sharing .

17. gooberman

gooberman Tele-Meister

These look great. I am going to try this as well. I started making the templates last night. I have the body one almost complete minus any of the routes...still trying to decide on pickup configuration!

I am planning on doing the neck template tonight. Can you tell me what the width of the neck is at the heel? Is it standard width?
    Thanks.

18. jkingma

Admin Post
    I believe its standard width, but I will have to check when I get home later tonight.

19. jkingma

Admin Post
    I checked and it's standard width. I think it should actually be slightly wider, cuz the bridge is standard width and the neck is shorter. The strings are going to be pretty close to the edge up past the 12th fret.

Why didn't you ask this question 7 months ago? ;)

20. jkingma

Admin Post
    Last night I got the nuts roughed out. I'm using some scraps of corian. I stuck them to a piece of MDF with double sided tape and ran them thru the thickness sander a few times until I got them to the proper thickness.

The picture isn't the best, because the tape and the corian is the same colour.

[​IMG]

I then cut them to length and rough shaped the tops. The rest od the sahaping will be done in the basement with files, sandpaper and micro-mesh.

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.