1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Thread For Slowpoke ...Let's All Add Posts

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by FenderGyrl, Nov 25, 2020.

1. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Telefied Silver Supporter

Spent the day taking one of my old office computers and added a wireless card and a video camera with microphone. I installed Linux on it and added Zoom. I plan to donate the machine to an at-risk donation center for a family that cannot afford a computer for their school age kid(s). Thought this might be a way to get rid of some of the computers I had when I closed my business. I got the cards for <$20.00 off Amazon.

Besides saving telephone poles I wonder what you did today? @Toto'sDad

gregulator450 likes this.
  2. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I just finished up the dinner dishes.
    Resting up after a rough 3 days of work.

Gonna keep working on a Monoprice Indio Guitar project.

@Zepfan...
    Ya got any new projects goin' on?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got that Epiphone LP Jr that turned out to have a plywood body. My plans are to plane the top of the body 1/4" and route the body wings. Then add a 1/4" cedar top with F-Holes for a ES LP. I got a set of P Rails and Triple Shot Rings that need a home.:twisted:

After that I have a super Strat build, SG Kit build, 6 other guitar builds and a couple tube amps to rehab. Other than that, I got nothing going on unless something else grabs my eye.:lol:
    One of those other builds is a Mustang type with dual 3pole single coil pickups for the neck and for the bridge A LA Spectrum 5 kind of thing. I bought 4 - 3 pole singles made for CBG's and will wire 2 together on a series/parallel switch for each position.

You got anything lined up next?

4. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Today I enjoyed a great day at the golf course with my son and my lovely wife. The sun was shining enough for short sleeves and shorts. My sweet little wife made an absolutely astonishing putt on the 17th hole. It's a very long par 3 with a large green. My wife's approach shot landed on the front edge of the green, the pin was a blue flag, some 70 feet away. She drained it! Best putt she's ever made, ever. I'm glad our son (whom she dotes on) was there to see it. We finished just in time to get home and take Alex for a walk. A good day all around. (no pole repair today)

djh22, Jakedog and FenderGyrl like this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Yes I do.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Yup, @FenderGyrl we missed you here. @Slowpoke 's thread really made me realize how lucky I am and how emotional it can be to read about members of our TDPRI family struggling.

I have learned a lot from people here and when putting together a home studio some members went way beyond expectations to help. It is fantastic and an honor to learn from such a great knowledgeable group of people that are willing to share their expertise. My biggest weakness (other than bad timing) is feeling comfortable performing. To that end, I have gotten to know @Flaneur on the side and to me it is a real bummer to live so far away from him, because I just know if I went down to his local pub with my tele (or reso), he would make me feel right at home and comfortable just noodling in front of his regular audience.​

7. FenderGyrl

You guys are the best.
    Thank you so very much for joining in.
    FG:)

8. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

This is a thoughtful thread.

2020 has definitely been a train wreck of a year, and fortunately, I’m lucky enough to have a stable, recession-proof career. Although the wife and I are of modest means, many of my students’ families are going through some tough times, and this year has definitely opened our eyes. At the same time, we’ve lost some people this year that will stick with me for a while - family as well as celebrities, and I’m still down because Hal Ketchum passed yesterday.

I can’t stand Joni Mitchell, but she had it right with “Big Yellow Taxi,” - you don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.

All of this makes me wonder about some of the working musicians around here and how they’re doing, both financially and emotionally, @Jakedog, for example. I hope all you guys and gals can survive the big chill.

Jared Purdy, Obsessed and FenderGyrl like this.
  9. FenderGyrl

Dang...
    You gotta full plate ZF.
    Wow...
    I'm just gonna finish up the Monoprice Buckethead Tribute. Gotta finish the frets and then wire it up.

Zepfan and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’m doing great man. Thanks for asking, though. Aside from losing several good friends this year, which honestly has seriously sucked ass, it’s kind of been a banner year.

I haven’t worked much at all, but I figure I worked non stop for over thirty years. I was due for a break. If I’d joined the army instead of jumping in a tour van I’d have retired years ago. Not that I want to quit, I don’t. But taking some time off ain’t the end of the world.

Things that have been fabulous-

I quit smoking. After thirty years of it, and half that time trying unsuccessfully to quit, I just ditched it cold turkey. My world shut down on 3/15. I figured if I wasn’t going to work or anywhere else, there was no reason to go for smokes. So I didn’t. I haven’t smoked since 3/15 and I never will again.

I’ve cut my drinking down to near nothing. Not out in the clubs and gigging, equals no boozing going on. I’ve drank about as much in the last eight months as I used to drink in about two weeks.

From those two things alone, my BP has dropped considerably. I was able to get off some meds I hated. And holy crap have I saved money. Thousands of dollars. Enough to buy a couple really cool guitars and a set myself up with a nice home studio.

Other things made possible this year through some very fortunate circumstances connected to everything going on- House got a new roof it needed pretty badly. Fridge got replaced. On Friday the old, dilapidated, and unsafe gas fireplace in our addition gets replaced. It’ll be warm in there this winter!

I bought a brand new car a couple weeks ago. Due to the whacky year, dealers are still chock full of 2020 models. I got well above book for my trade and $4500 off sticker. So I was able to get a whole lot more vehicle than I was driving, and kept my payment pretty much the same.

Kids are killing at remote schooling. My sixteen year old has expressed that she wants to continue online even if things get back to normal. Her grades have improved dramatically, and her stress level is extremely reduced. She’s a different kid.

We spent over a month out west at my moms place in the mountains. We figured there’s no rule that says remote work and school has to be at home. It can be anywhere with an internet connection. So we spent about five weeks out in the Sangres hiking, fishing, etc. It was awesome. If this continues in the spring we may go back. We stay at my moms so all is costs us is gas to get there.

I suffer from (medically diagnosed) chronic panic and anxiety disorders. The only place I’m not sort of a basket case is on stage. Not this year. Not having to constantly explain myself or make excuses for why I don’t want to go places and do things socially with other people, and not having to take crap for never participating in stuff I don’t enjoy, has lifted a huge burden off me.

Frankly, where the family is concerned the wife and I both thought we’d all want to kill each other by now. But what has happened is the exact opposite. We’re all closer and getting along better than ever.

I know it’s not a competition. But aside from my friends dropping like flies, I feel like I’ve really won 2020. I’d feel like a real ingrate if I started complaining after all I have to be thankful for this year.

I’ve been wondering though, if @getbent has had any cool car/truck/tractor/space shuttle restoration projects going. I always love hearing about those.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  11. FenderGyrl

Great Post @Jakedog.
    Glad your all doing well.

I have that Anxiety Thing too.
    Wasn't that hard for me to stay at home and work.
    It has made it a little harder to get depression under control...
    But I'm just Rollin' With The Changes.
    FG :cool:

12. Zepfan

I moved recently and having to deal with my Inlaws Estate has put me behind on everything.

My Wife suffers from Panic Anxiety and has had to deal with it for a long time. She was home bound for years. Getting the right meds and a good support system/people behind you is key.

13. Zepfan

Saw a couple decent priced First Act guitars and one Urban with P90's on FB.:twisted::lol:

FenderGyrl likes this.
  14. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

@FenderGyrl love watching your First Act resurrections, and particularly enjoying the Monoprice Buckethead build!

I like the idea of this thread, and want the TDPRI family to know that the outpouring of love and concern to Slowpoke's goodbye thread literally brought me to tears.

Not so many sad tears for Slowpoke, although there is always sadness in the loss of a fellow human, but tears of thankfulness that a bunch of people, who likely know each other only through mutual love of music on an internet platform, can have so much genuine concern for each other's wellbeing and good will for each other.

I feel for Slowpoke and can only imagine how sobering it must be to know that death is so close at hand. It sounds like he is at peace with it, and that he has had a good, fulfilling run with a loving companion who is still at his side. I don't know how much more you can ask for.

But I also want you guys to know that my heart is full because of the goodness of our little community here. You guys is good people, and I appreciate you all for being here and being good folk. I may never get to meet you guys in person but I feel like I know you, and even knowing you I still like you (yes, even you, @blowtorch ). :lol::lol::lol:

@Jakedog I am glad to hear your year has gone so well! I have had a blessed year also.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    Toto'sDad, FenderGyrl and Jakedog like this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Don’t sweat it. Around these parts we traditionally do Chinese for Christmas dinner. Everybody has their own thing.

16. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The traditional Thanksgiving lasagna is in the final stages of preparation here. :)

FenderGyrl likes this.
  17. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

@Jakedog so glad you got a good deal on the car and a visit with tu madre! I got the fireplace project all fixed up... My wife's aunt reports that they had a big fire last night (I also got her a cord of almond wood and built racks for her to hold it.. funny, she has a multimillion dollar house and they always had fires with scrapwood and branches and smoky crapola and no racks, so she had rats in the firewood... we got rid of all that and got her some nice stuff and now she is warm and almost smoke free--> almond burns the best!)) I put new shocks and springs in my pickup... it gives a couple inch lift to the truck so I can put 35" tires on next time. After the fires, I'll have a lot of downed wood to process and being able to get just a little farther in will be an aid.

We got a puppy about 2 months or so ago... 7lbs now 35lbs! training him has been our full time thing (outside of work) we are still doing almost 10K meals a day at work (it kind of keeps going up) We coordinated with the city to use our distribution system to do a special thanksgiving thing on monday... so that was great.... my wife's foster kids (she is a social worker) have had lots of crazy stuff going on... one of her girls ran away from her home and has been staying in a warehouse in San Jose. She stays in touch and we take her care packages: food, blankets, sleeping bag, clothes, while she goes through a mediation program with her foster family to sort out their issues... You have to fight the urge to control and just bring the kid home or force things... we know it doesn't work to do that... so, we just try to be sunshine and support and it seems to work. I am amazed by my wife. I know she is deeply worried about our kids and her work kids and all the health stuff and I can see it sometimes, but we just kind of keep going.

I'm gonna bust out the drone and chase the puppy with it so he has a sense of the impending alien invasion and is ready for it.

We will have a fire in our backyard tonight and zoom by firelight with the extended fam. We only have one kid home this year... but the others are fine and being careful.

I would love some pics of the wildlife @Buckocaster51 and I want to hear some Dodger gloating from @Skully and ponder what kind of a bet we could have this year with @Colo Springs E and maybe a report about the holiday from the good @Durtdog and I'd love to give a shout out to my TDPRI friends and hope they have a wonderful couple of days off! You have deserved it! We need to hear an update from @studio1087 and @JohnnyCrash and send good vibes and thanksgiving wishes (even where that holiday isnt today) to bay area's own @jhundt

Have a great day everyone... What was the name of the member who was the HUGE outlaws fan? outlaw stacy or...

Skully, MickM, RodeoTex and 4 others like this.
  18. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Haha yeah a bet woulda been great, who knows maybe we can still do that for the Super Bowl or something!

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. it's just been an all around weird year but I'm thankful for so much. My family and I are very fortunate.

getbent, Durtdog, djh22 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Happy thanksgiving @getbent and all my friends here.
    Mrs dog and I are having a quiet dinner, just the two of us and my neighbor who was divorced last year.

We are cooking the traditional dishes and giving thanks for all the blessings we have and enjoy.

getbent likes this.
  20. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I noticed a thread in which folks were discussing the places they wanted to visit, when circumstances permit. Anyone planning a holiday in Scotland should PM me, if they would like to sit in with one of the bands I contribute to. We really enjoy pulling our friends onto the stage and sometimes play requests and encourage input from other members of our audience. A (fairly)recent highlight was provided by a Hungarian guy and his noisy buddies, who joined us for a raucous rendition of 'It's now or never', in a kind of punky, Johnny Cash style.

Who knows, what the gig landscape will look like, in future....but I expect, one day soon, we'll have @Obsessed opening one of our shows, with his solo set. This will most likely mutate into a duet or trio deal, within a few songs and before he realises it, our visiting mountain recluse will have played three hours, bought a lot of whisky and slayed his timing demons. He may not remember all of this...... :lol:

I could see any one of you, in a similar role. @studio1087 , with Emily Strange SG in hand, @EllroyJames , organising the setlist, @Asmith , wielding his Stratmaster, @hemingway , taking photographs, to paint from later, @FenderGyrl , turning up the gain, on my amp and boost pedal, @Wally , shaking his head, at such abuse, of a perfectly good Bassman head......

Things could get out of hand, if a few of the Yorkshire/Lancashire boys shared a car, or the Londoners hopped on a plane (1 hour). That would be too bad, huh? Growing old disgracefully: just has to be done! :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.