A thread about finding stuff on the side of the road

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by emu!, May 16, 2013.

1. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Ever find something on the side of the road that turned out to be useful?

Years ago, I came upon a beat up and battered truck bed liner...the hard plastic kind. It must of flown out of the back of someone's pickup truck and landed in the ditch. Cracked and broken, I decided to take it in...not sure what I would do with it. Then one day, I decided to make a cover for my PA amp head. At first, I thought about plywood, then I had a ureeka moment! The hard plastic truck bed liner would work great and be lighter. After a lot of hacksawing, and some 1 x 1s as a frame...it all came together great. I since sold the PA head with the cover. Kind of miss it.

Then there's a story of when I was a kid and found a bunch of Playboy magazines in the ditch...but that story can't be told here...;)

Anybody got anything to share...go.

2. adeiderich

adeiderich Tele-Afflicted

I garbage picked a baby blue Schwinn Continental. Needed cleaning, new tires and a few small adjustments.

3. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Trampoline and slide for my son. Bedside table and a set of 3 other nesting tables for me. Actually, a classical guitar a few weeks ago, too. Just needed new strings.

In fact, where I live in east London, you want to get rid of anything remotely re-usable, you leave it by the kerb and it's not there long. Scrap metal is gone in minutes (got rid of my old radiators and lots of other metal that way). Furniture that is still standing, couple of hours.

4. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

All I ever used to find when I was hitching was 8 track tapes of "Yes, Fragile" or "Meatloaf, Bat Out of Hell", with several feet of tape hanging out of them.

5. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Wrenches, tie-downs, credit cards, bike rack, granite counter top.
    My wife found a $20 bill once.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've found lots of usable stuff, money is the most usable. I found a ladder once that I was just sure was mine, it had brown paint on it just like mine did. A guy stopped and claimed he had lost it off his truck and it was his, I prevailed, and when I carried the ladder home, found that I had two ladders. Hmmmm, uh excuse me?

7. hotpepper

hotpepper Tele-Meister

A deer with a broken leg. Good chow for a month.

8. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Many bicycles (on son's current bicycle is a mountain bike a neighbor threw out)

A snap on screw driver (only snap on tool I own....it's nice)

Pickup storage box

Lots of pegboard that a store put out attached to a huge display fixture with "free" sprayed on it. There was no way I could transport the whole thing, but had a screw driver so I removed all the pegboard panels. They line my garage and basement now.

random furniture: maple butcher block type table, chest of drawers, various cabinets I use in my garage.

My wife and I (when we were just dating) found $21 blowing in the street as we waited for a bus in Arlington.

I've also put things out to give away. It's sort of an unspoken rule in my town that if you want to give something away, put it out the day after trash is collected. I've put many artificial Christmas trees out a month before Christmas because my in-laws get a new one every year (why? I have no idea) and we get their last year's one. Put out too-small bicycles etc.

9. vortexmike

vortexmike Tele-Meister

best thing I ever found was when I was cycling between home in Sandwich and Ramsgate where I went to school. I guess I was 15 or so so this would have been 1973-4 ?
    Going past Richborough power station I found the big poster of Peter Fonda and Dennis Hoppper in Easy Rider just lying bu the side of the road !

Could not believe my luck and it was on my bedroom wall for years

cannot imagine how it ever got there, it was folded up but still pretty big for me to carry on my bike

10. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    On the side of the road on garbage day once I spotted a guitar neck sticking out of a box at the end of a driveway. In the box was the body, all the parts and a few other odds and ends that have come in handy over the years.

It was a Dano Hodad BTW, which I rebuilt and gave to my son-in-law.

11. Despres

Despres Tele-Holic

I found a kayak in the median of I-70. My brother brought home a box of five or six bowling balls he found once, so we set up a bunch of firewood for pins on the dirt road and practiced off-road bowling for a while.

When I had a harley, pieces would vibrate off at random - I had the air cleaner fall off on the highway once (and didn't notice) but found it a week later (the KN filter was useless, but the chrome cover was in pretty good shape for spending a week on the freeway!)

12. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

--

Attached Files:

13. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

hmm. not that good, but I did find some great alnico speakers on the curb

14. stratofortress

stratofortress Tele-Afflicted

I About 10 years ago I was going to work and cut through an apartment complex and sitting behind a car was a guitar case or what I first thought was a gun case. Stopped and got out and realized it was a guitar case and being as it was 5:30 in the morning,put it in my car and went to work. After getting home I was talking to my daughter and showed it to her and she mentioned that she knew of a band that rented an apartment over by where I found it so I sent her and her boyfriend off to knock on doors.
    Sure enough the band had gotten home late and unloaded their cars and somehow left it in the street. I went over and simply asked what kind of guitar and what color it was. I am sure I made the guys day. By the way it was a 2001 American made strat.

15. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

When I was a little kid, I was driving with my dad when he "spotted" something on the side of the road. We pulled over and it was a **** bayonet in a leather sheath. My dad still has it. Kinda creepy, but a neat historical artifact.

16. roadkillbill

roadkillbill Tele-Holic

In the '80s I used to run 60-65 miles a week in and around an urban college neighborhood at dawn and regularly found enough cash to keep me in new 60 dollar running shoes...apparently everyone except me was coming home from bars and dropping money just in time for me to find it.

Since then not so much cash, but as I walk now, I find a little bit of everything, but mostly tools bounced out of truck beds.

17. Big John Studd

Big John Studd Friend of Leo's

One Saturday morning I was riding my bike up to the high school for track practice, and I found four or five bottles of Miller beer in the ditch.

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I pull over to the side of the road (the passenger needs to pee, etc.) and more than once found something along the side of the road. Not so useful. Scrap metal, a file or tire iron which ends up puncturing a tire or one time, the gas tank on a Ford van.

19. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    As a kid, my buddy and I found a plastic bag with a bunch of european skin magazines in it. They spent many years in our tree fort.

20. BradKM

BradKM Tele-Holic

In no particular order:

A partial case of beer.

A bloody knife.

A wig.

A stolen Harley Davidson.

A severed pigs head.

A dirty magazine.

The body of a bolt-on Les Paul copy, all hardware removed.

Another wig.

Another dirty magazine (dudes only this time).

A hammer.

Several ladders (different occasions).

Two naked mannequins posed on a mattress.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.