A Telecaster that we have all heard more than we can imagine….

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Wally, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

2. bluetele54

bluetele54 Friend of Leo's

It was given to me in ‘85.
    It was pretty clean.
    It’s actually an Esquire, and I used a new guard, and the neck pup (a Seymour) is mounted on the guard.
    I still have the original pick guard.
    All that residue is from years of sweaty gigs. I never want to clean it.
    The amp is a recent find.
    I’m the second owner, and it required just a couple upgrades to make it practical for gigs. It is.
    Using it and my tube reverb is glorious!

OlRedNeckHippy and Wally like this.
  3. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Reminds of the great documentary TWENTY FEET FROM STARDOM.

4. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

Or you could be the guy (as we were in the military with spotless Snap Ons)
    [​IMG]

5. Wally

I have a set of Snap-ones that clean. I grew up keeping my dad’s tools clean and organized. I am somewhat of a meticulous person.my mother said when I was theee years old I kept my shoes clean and organized. Here is my 1966 ES-345, which I bought new 55 years ago this month. It has never been left without wiping it down.
    EBA08455-BC5B-48D2-AC22-CAD592251449.jpeg

So, more than likely one of my guitars would never look like Tedesco’s Tele. Hey, I had to make myself NOT clean away the type of dirt on the finish that we see on Tedesco’s guitar while I was doing a level & dress and setup on a Tele out of Austin last Friday. It was hard not to clean the guitar up…..but hey…it might be the secret mojo for the owner for all I know. I left the grime there.
    However, the point I was making with that picture is that from what I can tell he kept that guitar in proper playing condition albeit with traces of the huge number of hours it was used as a tool of the trade.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Wally

Have you ever seen “Black and White Nights” in which Springsteen along with a number of other established ‘stars’ backup one of their legendary inspirations….Roy Orbison. Yeassir!!!m Bruce singing high harmony to Orbison!

Gary135r likes this.
  7. Greg70

Greg70 Tele-Meister

I was watching the Wrecking Crew documentary on youtube and the guitar in the OP is visible at 1:18:25 in the video while they're working on a track with The Mamas and the Papas.

8. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I love how a bunch of basically middle age out of work Jazzers (the Wrecking Crew), created some of the greatest pop and rock, all while looking down on the music, and were probably embarrassed by it.

The Tele tells you so much of how he felt about the music they were producing, and it couldn't be more of a Rock and Roll Icon.

Tommy was also one of the funniest guys who ever played.

PhredE and Wally like this.
  10. Wally

well, the records show that Tedesco’s was nowhere near middle age when his first marks were made. He was born in 1930. He played on a Sam Cooke hit in 1962. His first solo record was put out in 1964. He worked for decades..until he indeed did reach middle age.
    He did guitar work for people of varied styles….Sarah Vaughn, Chet Baker, and Aretha Franklin included. I see that he also did work for J.J. Cale on the ‘Shades’ album.
    He made his mark among his peers while making a living.

PhredE and Mike M like this.
  11. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Yeah, perhaps "middle age" is unkind, but mostly all the players were north of 30.

Most of them dreamed about playing with Charlie Parker (or his like) when they started, by the mid 60's they were making their dough playing on Gary Lewis and Playboy records.

They were all fantastic players, known for not only their technique, but the more impressive feat of coming up with memorable parts (for all time) on the quick.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    bebopbrain, PhredE and Wally like this.
  12. Wally

On the first page of this thread someone mentioned Brent Mason. As I understand it, playing country style guitar is not what moves him. It is only how he makes his living. He prefers to play jazz. Money is a big motivator, it seems.

jim777, Mike M and PhredE like this.
  13. PhredE

PhredE Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the great thread Wally. Part historical, part educational, part emotional, etc.

Tedesco was a giant. Probably no more recorded guitarist on the planet.
    And such sight reading capability (and improvisation :D )is scary!

Wally likes this.
  14. Gary135r

Gary135r Tele-Meister

I get you. That picture just reminded me of our Snap Ons. During an IG ORI you better not have any flaws on them. Talk about sweat moments. We would spend months inspecting our toolboxes to hopefully avoid that moment.
    55 years ago? Wow! If we all had the foresight to hang on to some of our 1960's items. Lionel train set anybody?

15. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

It's a beaut!

16. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

Yeah, he's talked about that in interviews, that when he was starting out, he had to tone down his jazz chops.

I would imagine, that if you are a top player, at the top of your game, you want the prestige of being known as Jazz player.

You want your name mentioned along with Armstrong, Parker, Coltrane etc.

It has much more cache than saying you played uncredited on a Monkee's record.

And yet, "Last Train to Clarkesville" might be more internal than any modern jazz tune.

17. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why? Just why?

18. bluetele54

Speaking of the Wrecking Crew, tenor player Steve Douglas, some guy on a Danelectro , and me with the Tele I’ve shown in this thread.
    Steve wasn’t really a jazzer, but WAS a genuine iconic honking sax player.
    D4FA2474-4E2A-49A6-8C1E-027033434CC1.jpeg

jim777, Mike M and Jim622 like this.
  19. bluetele54

Response deleted

20. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Holic

I was always shocked by how young Douglas died, age 54, at a session with Ry Cooder.

Real name Steven Kreisman, and his whole career started because he went to High School with Spector.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.