A Tele I’ve been watching for a year hasn’t sold yet

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NewKid, Aug 12, 2019.

1. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

perfect example of Fender MIM competing with Fender USA !

If it is indeed $1400 that's not really out of line for a new USA made guitar. If we are always comparing USA prices to MIM or elsewhere prices then why bother looking at USA guitars ? They will never be priced comparatively, and should NOT be.

This isn't about one is just as good as the other, that's irrelevant, it's about ONE is made by USA Employees and the other is not.

Ask the USA employee which one you should purchase ! :)

2. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

When I was shopping for a Fender AV (late 2012 through 2017) '64 Jazz Bass reissue back in January of 2018, I wanted a white one, but they were rare, and the few I could find were expensive. So I inquired about a black one as a backup plan. It was marked at $1,450 (used). I talked to the shop, and told them I really wanted a white one, but if I got a $1,300 price, I'd take theirs. They told me they needed at least $1,400, because it hasn't been for sale long enough (though it had been up several months at that point). I moved on and found my white one eventually, for $1,800 in N.O.S. condition. Haven't thought about the black one since.

A few days ago, I was searching for one of the limited edition Lake Placid Blue AV '64 Jazzes with a matching headstock, and I came across this nice black AV '64 Jazz. I soon realized that it was that same one...at the same price of $1,450. It has been up for sale for two years that I know of. I now have it on my watch list. Not sure I'd pay even the $1,300 I originally offered, now that I already have the white one. But I sort of have this morbid curiosity in seeing how long it's up there.

I just don't understand this. It's from a legit shop. You'd think they need the space more than they need to get a certain amount for the thing. As a legit shop, an instrument sitting in your shop for two years is a drag on the business. It's money you've spent just sitting there, not doing anything but losing value in most cases, and taking up space. But they haven't even notched the price down one buck.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    NewKid likes this.
  3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Unless I special order a Custom Shop, I am done ordering guitars over the internet. I have lost interest in acquiring more guitar except that I have would like an SG or 335 but ONLY if it I fall in love with the guitar by personally playing it. I just find the Gibson electric neck profiles to be a non-starter. In fact, I sold a beautiful R8 because I just never got comfortable with the neck.
    I want a guitar with humbuckers. I have even lusted after a few Deluxe Tales but I am not crazy about WRHB.
    To the OP, why so much lust for the Crimson Red Tele?

4. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

I played a AmPro Crimson Red Tele at a local guitar shop and it was surprisingly great to me. My American Special is Alder wood and 8 lbs. and this CRT was Ash and felt like 7 lbs.

It was the lightest Tele I had ever held and it had a dark rosewood fretboard. Everything about it felt like a Custom Shop guitar to me and I went back and played it five different times. Then on the sixth visit it was finally gone and I realized I let a great guitar get away.

So I think eventually I will have one like it but it will be at least a couple more years.

This happened to me once before with a vintage Martin soprano ukulele I played in St Louis that had the mojo. Didn’t buy it and it haunted me for years. Finally found one like it at Schoenberg’s in Tiburon, CA and bought it. Lasted two years until I let it go after giving up the uke.

So maybe I should learn from that experience. Thanks for asking.

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

thunderbyrd and NewKid like this.
  6. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

So true. I didn’t buy this AmPro CRT Tele when I first played one at my local guitar shop or the one at Willcutt. But last April I stumbled upon a used Froggy Bottom Parlor guitar at Dusty Strings in Seattle and I knew I had to have it after the first strum. I felt it in my body. I never thought I would ever spend so much money on a guitar ($3300) but I borrowed it from family and paid it back in 8 months. I’m so glad I found it.

That said, I’m still playing my American Special Tele 90% of the time these days.

DrPepper likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

MIJ’s are great .

And I’ve never had one where I haven’t been thoroughly blown away by the fit and finish and also thoroughly underwhelmed and/or disgusted by the piss poor electronics and pick ups...:lol:

Completely true that the vast majority of Mexican Teles that I’ve owned have had better stock pick ups & electronics than the Japanese ones I’ve owned...

8. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's

You bought a Froggy Bottom for $3,300? That is actually a good price. We need pictures.
    Is the Telecaster speaking to you? Then maybe you should make an offer. I read about it and want to play the neck. It sounds comfortable and I like tall frets but don’t think I have ever played skinny tall frets.

I had never heard of Willcut and after reading your thread went to their website. How big is their shop? They have a lot of equipment.

DrPepper and NewKid like this.
  9. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

It's been a few years since I was last there in person - but Willcutts has 2 retail locations and at that time had some of their Gibson products at yet a 3rd location that is primarily a music school (I lived in Louisville KY until 2012 so it was easy to make the quick trip over to Lexington KY).

Their original store is in a house in the parking lot of a church. They have the low-to-mid priced gear there - Fender USA production-line series and Gibson USA production line are where that location tops out for Electrics, plus all the Epiphones, MIM Fenders, Squiers, Ibanez, PRS S2 and SE, etc. That location has the mid-priced acoustics downstairs and the upstairs was remodeled into the high-end acoustic "salon" about 10 years ago (the upstairs used to be their stockroom). And yes, given their lines Gibson USA would be considered "mid-priced". In this location the instruments are displayed like at Guitar Center, etc.

They have the upper-end products in a second location around the corner (appears to be a former bank building) that is primarily an internet store, and is where you'll find the Fender Custom Shop, Gibson Custom Shop, PRS Core and Private Stock, and all the boutique builders like Suhr, Huber, etc. Also the high-end amps like Carr, Dr. Z, etc. are at this location while the Fenders, Marshalls, etc. are at the house location. They're pretty accommodating at the internet store, but it's best to call first and have them pull the instruments you're interested in as those instruments are stored in their cases.

I first went to Willcutts the first time I was living in Louisville (1967-1985), and frequented them for strings and things when I lived in Lexington (1985-1991 - but I went on a playing hiatus in 1987) and started going to them again in the mid-late 1990s after having moved back to Louisville in 1994 (and I started playing again in 1992).

NewKid likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

I'm a sucker for the dark rosewood. The custom shop Tele in my avatar has a dark rosewood which I specified "select for dark rosewood".
    If I can't find an SG or 335 to my liking I may find a Tele and have someone modify it with two 57 style humbuckers.

11. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

NewKid likes this.
  12. burntfrijoles

But Willcutt will negotiate. I've bought one item from them and they discounted it. I just ask the guy if he had wiggle room on the price and he said "sure" and he took 15% off. I usually get 15-20% on most new instruments. The online guys like Wildwood, Willcutt, Dave's, Eddie's all have to display MAP pricing. Those guys have to move inventory.

NewKid likes this.
  13. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

14. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

an ES339?

15. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

I have discovered it seems to be a Custom Shop 336. Too much money for me for what it is.

16. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Friend of Leo's

I have always thought that Gibson CS has always been too much money for me as well.. well, almost all Gibson products.. the only way I can afford them is used, but even then, I wouldnt be able to afford it, so I'll just stick with Epiphones.. hehehe..

17. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

The next Tele I buy will have ebony on the board.

I've been wanting one ever since I had a Strat Ultra that I've since sold.

18. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

Yes, when I saw the price tag I felt like they underpriced it by at least $700 and that I was getting a screaming deal. The guitar was just put on the floor that day. It’s a 1998 P-12 #421 and it’s in mint condition. It made me nervous to leave the store without buying it but I came back 3 hours later with the dough.

19. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Meister

5AE8D175-EEA2-483C-8ACC-9C6FF52AC9D1.jpeg FABB6253-3298-42DA-AD2E-897A7CBCDF92.jpeg 1010DAA8-4D96-4D08-BE4E-734DC9FE9BC5.jpeg FFB49104-FEBE-42CB-8F08-4D70D647384E.jpeg

Here’s my Froggy Bottom P-12 that I bought last April. My one and only acoustic guitar. I played it today.

psychobilly451 and thunderbyrd like this.
  20. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

The only things I’ve seen for more than a year I ended up with. My Greta amplifier and my epiphone mm40 mandolin.

It’s yours. You just don’t know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.