1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A tale of TVs.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

It all stopped, unhooked the HDMI I have an over the air antenna installed. No snow, no sound nothing. Should have gotten a message to change source on the screen. Nothing on the screen but boxes on one side, blank on the other. Can't access the menu screen, there is simply nothing happening. Previously on 24, I mean TD's tv, when I lost signal, there would be instructions on the screen listing choices to obtain a signal. There was nothing on the screen, I tried working the source button and hitting okay hoping to hit on something, anything, but it didn't change the screen display at all. Guess we'll know if there's a signal problem when the new tv gets here. I tried the old tv various times over a two day period, nothing.

2. Toto'sDad

It was just kind of understood that back in the day of tube amp TVs, you either got to call the tv guy out about every six months, or you got pretty good at pulling the tubes and going to Thrifty Drug, and checking them out on their handy dandy tube checker. It was amazing, they always had the right tube on hand. Once I took the chassis out of the only TV we had and managed to find a resister that had gotten too hot or something and broke in the middle. I went to radio shack and bought another resister, soldered it in, and the tv played like a champ.

RobRiggs likes this.
  3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Ah yes, appliance failure. One of our newest appliances is our dishwasher. Freakin' thing has started beeping randomly so I have to unplug it in between loads. Did some research. Ordered a new control panel. Looks easy enough to replace. Website says that item is a revised part and in stock. Sounds good, right? I order it. Receive zero confirmation that the order was placed. Check the website to track my order. Says item is in stock but the status of the order is incomplete and there are the words 'back ordered' scattered in there. Call up the rep. Rep says she stills see that I will receive it in 5 days. All the signs are pointing towards this not working out well I can tell.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  4. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Self-reliance is a wonderful gift.
    :)

Toto'sDad likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

Self-reliance is often strengthened by a lack of finances. I think we gave 75 bucks for that old tv used, and thought it a bargain. Nowadays stuff is mostly throw away. Circuit boards and such that once they start unraveling are just gone.

6. Toto'sDad

I hope your TV doesn't get wind of your post. Just the other day I was thinking maybe I had ought to buy another TV to have on hand for when ours failed. I think the old fellow must have heard me thinking and just took it on himself to check out. He was a good and faithful servant for a long time. Alas, Mr. Philips is no more. I don't drink anymore or I would lift a glass to him.

Chester P Squier likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Oh man! I just realized that the dishwasher is the same age as the house, going on sixteen years! I had thought about a dishwasher replacement earlier, but my wife who is familiar with our kid's dishwashers wasn't having anything to do with that! She said the new dishwashers with all the "improvements" take forever to wash the dishes. I gotta do some research on that. One thing about it, I'm so old, that most of this stuff isn't ever going to need replacing again, at least not by me!

Richie Cunningham likes this.
  8. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

You know what sucks about the TVs in stores right now? Instead of having a pedestal stand in the middle of the TV, they have those crappy little feet out on the sides. The problem with this is that you can’t put the TV on a narrow stand or cabinet and cantilever the TV out over the sides. Getting a new TV would destroy my entire living room setup. Darn these losers.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  9. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dishwashers: Our last house had a GE dishwasher that I hoped would break down so I could replace it, it ran more than 20 years and was still "working" when we moved out. I'd adopted a program of "clean 'em before you put 'em in the dishwasher." It was a terrible dishwasher that refused to die.

It reminded me of what my father said about Timex watches. "They either keep good time OR they last forever."

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Four years ago I bought a relatively pricey Sony flat screen. A year later I bought my daughter a slightly smaller LG TV for less than a third the cost of the Sony. The picture on the LG is as good as the Sony. I decided right then that I am not going to chase higher tech TVs and would no longer spend extra cash on such.
    As for multiple things going kaplooey at once I can see that in my future. I remodeled in ‘06 and purchased a new dishwasher, microwave and W/D. I think surely I’m living on borrowed time with all of them.

11. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

koen likes this.
  12. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

New ones should have cycles that use very little water. Ours has a one hour cycle with a heated dry. The darn thing works fine. It’s just that it won’t stop beeping.

That is the same time that we remodeled. I have replaced the tv, the microwave, the range, the dishwasher and the washer and dryer all in the last 2-3 years. Oh, and also the igniter on the furnace.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Hmmm. Who’s next? You’d better perform every time, or else!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I cut the cord years ago and get channels over the air in addition to streaming. I have both internal and external antennas. When a big plane or helicopter flies over, the picture gets wonky for a few seconds. I also remember having to adjust the “horizontal hold” to correct rolling frames back in the day.

I agree, I had to purchase a slightly smaller TV because of this when I bought my last TV because the larger TV I wanted had the wide feet design.

When my current dishwasher stops cleaning well I won’t wait for it to break down. It’s gone. It’s 15 years old and still cleans like it’s new. It was quiet by 2006 standards but would be considered “loud” today but it doesn’t bother me and I live alone. It will go eventually. I have a bucket of money set aside for appliance replacement.

15. Toto'sDad

Wouldn't bother me, I hope when I croak the new boyfriend comes to the funeral. She's a great wife, be a shame for her not to have a man around! :D:lol:

Harry Styron likes this.
  16. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

“It was the best of TVs, it was the worst of TVs, it was the age of CNN, it was the age of Fox, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of no travel, it was the season of masks, it was the spring of new gear, it was the winter of no gigs.”

17. Toto'sDad

I missed it all this weekend. I've been watching Yellowstone reruns on my computer, Jimmy is lying on the ground, Beth just got blown up, JD is propped against a truck tire with 29 bullet holes in him, and his damned phone won't work, Rip shot a horse, and is eyeballing buzzards in the distance, and I ran out of episodes! I'm at the age of discontent, to nearly the point of being incontinent!

Torren61 likes this.
  18. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Fifteen years ago I purchased my first flat screen TV - a 32" Olevia. Never heard of it but it was the least expensive available for me. It is now my patio TV and it has one of the best pictures I've ever seen to this day.

19. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

This was awfully bold of us...

Toto'sDad and Ronzo like this.
  20. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Oh those old days. And guitar players say they need to own Tube Amps... I don't miss 'em.

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.