1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A tale of TVs.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Toto'sDad, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know household calamities are like bananas they come in bunches. A few weeks ago, while my wife was away at a doctors appointment, I went to take a shower after doing my lawns, and the water was cold. Now the house is going on sixteen years old, so I didn't even consider having it worked on. By the time momma got home, I had called the guy who does our appliances and he recommended a plumber. Called him and was just going to offer a hundred bucks extra if he could do it today, when he said I can do it today. By the time momma got home, the plumber was doing his thing, she said "Goofus, whaaaaaaaaat is going on? I said I know you like a hot shower in the evening so I am making that happen!

Earlier this week, we were watching the news, eating dinner, and the wifey says, the tv has stopped. Sure enough, I looked up, and the voice was there but the people were frozen. I says no problem I'll just turn it off, and turn it on again, it'll work fine. I did that, and now I had a half screen of little square boxes of different colors, and half the screen was black. I looked on the back of the tv, and pulled the envelope off that I taped there with the receipt (something my oldest son taught me). The TV was almost ten years old. Hmmm time for a new tv.

The only problem is there is a place built into the wall for the tv. (not a good idea) I measured the opening and checked the size TV I could stuff in there on the net. 58" screen will fit nicely. Only problem is that size is sold out EVERYWHERE in town. I found one on Costco's site and then went to order it. AFTER I waited almost an hour for the Chat guy tech, to help me straighten out why I couldn't get on the site to order it, I did order one, which will be here Monday. THEN, the bedroom tv wouldn't work either! Momma is mad! Okay, I'll look at it. Turns out I managed to get that one going again.

I was going to just take a look at the old tv in the living room and see if I could maybe figure out why it wasn't working when just like the kid on Christmas story who lost the lug-nuts, SOMETHING happened, and the tv fell off in the floor off of its stand! I said, OHHHH FUDDGGEE! Guess we'll just go ahead and see who takes old tvs. In CALIFORNIA? Surely you jest! Finally found a place to dispose of it. Gone now!

Patiently awaiting new tv.

bcorig, Torren61, Flip G and 7 others like this.
  2. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

lol, my friend says there is a blue line of death that shows up first before it halves itself. Did you see one?

Toto'sDad likes this.
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

at least they keep getting more inexpensive - as long as you buy last years technology.

Piggy Stu, nojazzhere and Toto'sDad like this.
  4. Toto'sDad

I don't know if I saw that or not. My wife had first suggested we get in touch with the guy down the street who works for an appliance outfit and does tv repair, my hubcap moment kind of made that suggestion moot. :oops: I am such a hopeless attachment guy, ANYTHING that dies, makes me sad. I can just hear our old tv moaning, I used to sit in a nice warm place entertaining my family, what did I do to deserve this cold dark place I'm in? Goodbye Mr. Philips, you were loved, and I'm sorry. We'll never forget you!

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Toto'sDad

I'm pretty sure that's what I did. When we got the tv in the bedroom it was an end of the year model, got a great deal, and it has worked out fine. The new one we have coming is larger and cost half as much as the old one we had.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. Toto'sDad

My wife is the extreme opposite of me when it comes to replacing something. She is always like. Oh good, its dead, now we can get a NEW ONE!

7. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

You’re doing your part to support the economy!

There will be a prize for that - something else will break and you’ll get to spend even more $$$:eek:

8. Toto'sDad

I know that other shoe is likely to fall!

9. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

Is it on top of an appliance?

Ronzo and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. Toto'sDad

We've replaced most everything around here. I'm bettin' on the frig, or the A/C. I'm almost ready to do a preemptive strike on both! My appliance guy looked at the frig when he brought the dryer, (this year, washer last year) and said there's nothing wrong with it. Just wait it out!

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The first week we spent in this house (2015?) after we bought it, the HVAC died (it was 20 yrs old). Spent three nights in a cheesy hotel while it was replaced.

Two weeks ago...that one died the lemon death (cost to repair exceeded cost to replace). New HVAC company finally solved a longstanding issue, so there's that.

A couple of days ago, I was washing dishes and ran out of hot water. Yah, that thing is 6yrs old...I'm keeping an eye on it.

Yesterday, Miz Diane wanted to go for a drive. She got in the car, opened the garage door and backed out. She forgot I was going along and hit the door opener button just as I was crossing the opening and I heard a pop...door opener is now dead. It's in warranty, the guys will be here Monday...

Toto'sDad likes this.
  12. Toto'sDad

The curse of labor saving devices is that they save labor, not money!

RobRiggs likes this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This time, remember to use your Flat Blade Screwdriver, Hammer and a LOT more Duct Tape.
    YEP!!!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Toto'sDad

Tape came in handy for fixing the bedroom tv! The Roku adapter was coming apart, nothing wrong with it, it was just loose at the connection between the power source and the HDMI adapter. I wrapped some tape around power source then tapped the wire to the adapter! Now it doesn't have any pressure pulling on it to separate the two pieces. Tape is one of the most wonderful inventions ever!

Ronzo and String Tree like this.
  15. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

You GOT this TD!

Toto'sDad likes this.
  16. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

My living room TV is twelve years old, and I occasionally do a check to make sure reputable brands are still building 50” TVs in 1080p-plus resolution for half of what my plasma cost.

They are.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  17. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

UH... The audio continuing and the picture frozen has nothing to do with your TV. it's your signal to the TV.

Toto'sDad and Ironwolf like this.
  18. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

That is almost always true.

19. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Back in the days of B&W TVs with rolling pictures and white dots and lines every time a car went passed three streets away the ultimate demise was preluded by a shrinking picture.

All of the ‘experts’’ would draw air through their teeth and mutter the same words................’it’s your picture tube’.

Richie Cunningham and Toto'sDad like this.
  20. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Back in those days, I remember it being the selenium rectifiers. I remember asking the repairman why he billed my Mom for four of them when there were only two of them on the chassis.

She whisked me away, telling the repairman I was just a little kid, and pay me no mind. Then she took me into the kitchen and said, “Keep your mouth shut, or he’ll tell me we need a flyback transformer!”

Almost as expensive as a new picture tube...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.