A story of a pair of Twisted Tele pickups

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by comebackkid, Oct 27, 2016.

1. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Early August I ordered a set of Twisted Tele pickups from Andertons in the UK. This because of the current exchange rates; its cheaper to buy from the UK than say, Germany (I live in the Netherlands). Anyhow...
    I received them a week or so later. Put them in my Classic 50's tele and wired it all up. I plugged in the guitar and.... No sound from the bridge pickup. OK... Checked the wiring and everything seemed to be in order. To be sure it isn't my wiring, I change out the stock pots and switch for brand new stuff. Still nothing. Pulled out the pup and took it to the multimeter. No readout. So, it's DOA; fair enough, this happens once in a while. Sent an email to Andertons and they contacted Fender. Fender agreed to send me a replacement. Cool.

Today I get the new set (yes, they sent a whole SET) and take the bridge pickup and install it. Didn't bother to check with the multimeter since I thought; no way this one is doa too. I plug into the amp... There's that great neck tone again! Switching over... No bridge tone... Pulled it out and checked with the multimeter; nothing.
    Just mailed Andertons and I am awaiting their response.

Anyone had this experience with Fender Custom Shop pickups? And in particular the Twisted Tele set from recent production dates.

I love these pickups and can't wait to be able to play the guitar too; but no chance, since I keep removing the strings and bridge to remove the pickup....

2. GuitarJonz

GuitarJonz Poster Extraordinaire

Kinda sad QC. Hopefully the 3rd time will be the charm. If not, move on fer sure.

3. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

Try touching a soldering iron on the solder blobs on the bobbin base where the coil wires contact the output wires. Very occasionally this will be a point where there is no contact.

4. barker

barker Tele-Meister

Very sad QC indeed. Try and find a local U.K. pickup winder who has a good reputation and have em make you a set.

I've never been crazy about the Twisted Tele bridge myself, hopefully you don't fall in the same category!

5. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

I have two guitars loaded with a set of Twisted Tele pickups and they are by far my most favorite. Sparkling clean, tight bottom end and if you hit 'em right they'll growl and roar for you! ;)

barker likes this.
  6. comebackkid

comebackkid Tele-Meister

Andertons have mailed me back with a reply that Fender will test a set first before they send it to me.
    I can keep the other two sets... Maybe I'll try to get both bridge pickups rewound, so I will have two complete sets of Twisted Tele pickups again.

7. ESQUIREoholic

ESQUIREoholic Tele-Afflicted

Really like the Twisted Tele neck pickup. Not that crazy about the bridge - at least for me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.