A story from my past, and the law of unintended consequences.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
They say confession is good for the soul, I hope that's true for this has been on my mind for some time. Once upon a time, when my mom was single, and I was about twelve years old, a caller came to see my mom and brought his dog. The dog's name was Tip, a black and white medium large dog who could have been related to a lab. When the suitor departed and went home about six miles away, within an hour of two, Tip showed back up at my door, and he was my dog from that day forward. The suitor and my mom would eventually marry.

Tippy and I spent a lot of time together over the next few years, he was my friend. When we ended up in Arkansas, he and I explored the woods around us for miles and miles. He would be with me several more years after that.

I went away up north to work when I was eighteen and Tip was very old at this time. I fooled around got drunk, beaten up by the cops, (not entirely without justification) and ended up in jail for the next 35 days. When I finally made it home, I looked for Tip, but he was nowhere to be found, finally it was divulged that my ex-wife probably for spite, (not entirely without justification) had given Tip over to the dog pound, and he was gone for good.

It has been more than sixty years since I last saw Tip, but I hope he can forgive me for failing him, I don't know if I will ever forgive myself. Tippy, this is for you, I loved you very much old pal, and I'm sorry I let you down.

TD

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You're a good man, TD.

... now, somebody hand me a tissue ...
You know doing awful things like I did to Tip helped shape my life. It caused me to try and think things through more before doing them. I didn't even know about the law of unintended consequences in those days, and it would be a long time before I understood what happened with Tip was a result of that law. I took action without thinking of what COULD happen in my absence. I've been hoist on my own petard more than once in life, each lesson makes you a little more aware of taking stock before acting. I do know though, no matter how careful the Bee is in his gathering, he can hit a windshield at any time.

telemaster03

Tele-Holic
That's rough TD, I can relate.

Long ago after my ex and I first married we acquired a little peek-a-poo who we named Zeus. That little guy was our constant companion in our childless years - smart, attentive and fiercely protective for his diminutive size. One spring day we left him outside to run an errand and got held up, when we returned home he had perished from heat stroke. It was awful and done completely in ignorance, he had water but no shade and although we didn't think it was hot enough we were wrong. Like you I still feel terrible for allowing it to happen and I think about the poor little guy when I hear of people leaving their kids in hot cars. If there was any good that came out of it, it's that it made me hyper-attentive for future pets and children when they came along.

At least your ex played a part, this one was all on us.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
They say confession is good for the soul, I hope that's true for this has been on my mind for some time. Once upon a time, when my mom was single, and I was about twelve years old, a caller came to see my mom and brought his dog. The dog's name was Tip, a black and white medium large dog who could have been related to a lab. When the suitor departed and went home about six miles away, within an hour of two, Tip showed back up at my door, and he was my dog from that day forward. The suitor and my mom would eventually marry.

Tippy and I spent a lot of time together over the next few years, he was my friend. When we ended up in Arkansas, he and I explored the woods around us for miles and miles. He would be with me several more years after that.

I went away up north to work when I was eighteen and Tip was very old at this time. I fooled around got drunk, beaten up by the cops, (not entirely without justification) and ended up in jail for the next 35 days. When I finally made it home, I looked for Tip, but he was nowhere to be found, finally it was divulged that my ex-wife probably for spite, (not entirely without justification) had given Tip over to the dog pound, and he was gone for good.

It has been more than sixty years since I last saw Tip, but I hope he can forgive me for failing him, I don't know if I will ever forgive myself. Tippy, this is for you, I loved you very much old pal, and I'm sorry I let you down.

TD

Man, TD, what a story. Now.... you're probably not going to believe this, but, my Dad (when he was a kid) also had a dog named Tippy in the mid 1940's! He would talk about Tippy on and off for decades. He described his Tippy very much like yours, though I think his was more of a terrier size dog but a mutt nonetheless, heck even my Grandma talked about Tippy sometimes! I had forgotten all about my Dad and his stories of Tippy until you mentioned the name. Uncanny!!! Your Tippy and my Dad's Tippy are the only 2 dogs, these many years, I've ever known named as such! Surreal! I think his Tippy passed away sometime in the early 50's. RIP to both Tippy's! They were both really good dogs indeed. 60+ years on still talkin' about em. Now that's something. I doubt I'll have the same honor LOL!! ;)

Last edited:

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
That's rough TD, I can relate.

Long ago after my ex and I first married we acquired a little peek-a-poo who we named Zeus. That little guy was our constant companion in our childless years - smart, attentive and fiercely protective for his diminutive size. One spring day we left him outside to run an errand and got held up, when we returned home he had perished from heat stroke. It was awful and done completely in ignorance, he had water but no shade and although we didn't think it was hot enough we were wrong. Like you I still feel terrible for allowing it to happen and I think about the poor little guy when I hear of people leaving their kids in hot cars. If there was any good that came out of it, it's that it made me hyper-attentive for future pets and children when they came along.

At least your ex played a part, this one was all on us.
I'm sorry for your little dog, sometimes we just don't think. I've done things I now know I should not have done, but at the time I just didn't know any better. I guess it's all part of learning. The amazing thing about my wife, she never seems to do any wrong, or wrong anyone or anything. She accepts things far better than I do. One thing I'm trying to do since I recently turned 79 is shed some of the guilt from my lifetime. I'm still carrying burdens that are a lifetime old, it's time to put them aside.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You didn't set out to do anything wrong to Tippy. Sometimes there are things that happen and the consequences are just that. Consequences - good or bad

You know it's too bad we can't know what we know when we're young. There's just so much you don't "get" when you're young. Like old Tip, and old Friends being near the end of their time, and you just don't comprehend it at a young age. When we're young, it's like we're stuck in time, and think everyone we know will still be there tomorrow, and selfishly, we just take them for granted. Often by the time we get things figured out, it's too late. Thank you though for your kind words, I really would not have intentionally harmed Tip for all the world, you are certainly right in that regard.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
You know doing awful things like I did to Tip helped shape my life. It caused me to try and think things through more before doing them. I didn't even know about the law of unintended consequences in those days, and it would be a long time before I understood what happened with Tip was a result of that law. I took action without thinking of what COULD happen in my absence. I've been hoist on my own petard more than once in life, each lesson makes you a little more aware of taking stock before acting. I do know though, no matter how careful the Bee is in his gathering, he can hit a windshield at any time.
"Hoist on my own petard". Thanks, that's a new one to me so I looked it up. Since I'm probably not the only one,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoist_with_his_own_petard

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
well...your ex....she deserved a choice consequence or two.....

You know at the time, I knew it was my fault, because I didn't see to it that he was taken care of. I'm sorry that I didn't. As far as the ex goes, she was her own worst enemy, and no further action was required on my part.

When we divorced, she didn't marry again for thirteen years. When she did remarry, her husband went berserk when she called the cops on him during a row, and he attacked the cops and beat them up, of course reinforcements soon arrived, and the end of it was he got seven years in jail. If I had been the judge, I'd have given the poor man a hundred bucks to leave town on and told him to be more careful who he got himself hooked up with in the future. She is gone for good now, I'm sorry that she had such a rough time in life.

kuch

Tele-Holic

TD
Hey TD,

Sorry to hear that you're still carrying this.

I won't give you advice. We all did things in the past that we could have handled in a better way. I will say the way I handle issues like this that happened in the past is "I did the best I knew how at the time". I try to meditate on the situation and go over the details and forgive myself and let go of it the best I can.

I hope you have a nice rest of your day.... ;)

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hey TD,

Sorry to hear that you're still carrying this.

I won't give you advice. We all did things in the past that we could have handled in a better way. I will say the way I handle issues like this that happened in the past is "I did the best I knew how at the time". I try to meditate on the situation and go over the details and forgive myself and let go of it the best I can.

I hope you have a nice rest of your day.... ;)
Thank you for the advice, sir. I've carried this thing a long way. When I was working, I had other things to occupy my mind, it seems being retired gives one an opportunity to beat oneself about the head and shoulders with passed misdeeds. I'm trying to turn them all loose, most of them are old because as I grew older, I tended to think things through more before acting.

trapdoor2

Friend of Leo's
I have always suspected that the bad blood between my Dad and his Dad (my grandfather) stemmed from what happened to Dad's dog "Flash". The story is that when Dad joined the Navy (1939 at barely 17), grandpa took Flash out, made him "sit up" and shot him. As far as I know my father never spoke with his father again. I never met my g-father, he died in 1946. Dad would never talk about his Dad...though my little brother was named for him. Go figure.

We all carry burdens we never realize until later that we'd accepted. I learned to accept that we live, "test first, lesson after." When I think on my own past issues, I understand that every test and every lesson made me what I am today. I don't beat myself up, I go build something.

teleplayr

Friend of Leo's
A childhood friend of mine had a dog that he loved. He married and the new wife didn't care for the dog.

One day he comes home from work and there's no dog, he asked his wife what happened to his dog and she said it ran away.

Fat chance, she got rid of it. He was heart broken!

That should have been a sign of times to come.

thunderbyrd

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
i can think of one time in my life when i was wise enough to miss the law of unintended consequences. it was during the time i was free from my 1st wife and hadn't yet met my 2d. a certain young woman, VERY physically attractive, made it known that she was "available" to me. but i spent about an hour talking to her and saw that she was nothing but trouble. any relationship with her would have quickly become a nightmare.

i dodged the law of unintended consequences that time for sure.